“An amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 136 Hotels in Cannes
Victoria, Canada
“An amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

We arrived at the hotel quite late and were disappointed with the first room we were given. There was pink carpet on all the walls and I am quite allergic to dust (which natuarllly comes along with that much carpet) so I had a hard time breathing in the room despite the balcony door being open. In the morning I asked Minna if we could change rooms and she was more than happy to. We were moved to room 9 which was lovely. It had obviously been redone recently, everything was a crisp white. Minna and Carlo cannot do enough for you. It was the best customer service we've ever experienced. As soon as I left the room in the morning one of them was up making my coffee and offering advice and recommendations as to how we should spend our day. They never made us feel like anything was too much trouble. We just can't believe we had such a good experience at such a low price. Our trip wouldn't have been the same without them, they saved us from having a super tourist-y experience and I just can't recommend this hotel enough. Don't expect american style rooms and don't stay here if that is your style. We had everything we needed and Minna and Carlo treated us like old friends. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2010

After reading all the great reviews we booked here for a few nights in Aug. We have stayed in some pretty bad motels before in the past the negative comments didn't seem that bad...I could deal with the wall paper coming off the walls etc. The hotel is in a perfect location and the staff were sooooo friendly and helpful. However as soon as we got to the room my boyfriend asked if I had booked the right hotel. When we arrived they had to give us the spare room key as the previous person had walked away with the key...which was a bit disconcerning...they said that they knew the lady well that has the key...but we didn't feel that our stuff was safe.The bathroom is very tiny..which was fine however the shower didn;t look like it has a good scub in a long time. We also had to step over the bidet to get to the toilet. We both walked around in our shoes as we were afraid to walk on the carpet in bare feet. The big downfall was no air conditioning. The wall paper was also coming off the walls not because it was old and character like...but beacuse of mold. My boyfriend wanted to leave right away but I told him to give it a try..we stayed for one night. We both couldn't sleep through the night as it was so hot. There was a celing fan in the room the sqeaked continusley. The bed was very uncomfortable. We ended up checking out early and only staying one night. I don't know if it was just that one room as there are soo many great reviews and the hotel was full but for the extra 40 euros I would just stay at the best western next time.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed in Cannes for 3 nights in mid July and found Hotel Cybelle on trip advisor. It really lived up to all of its positive reviews! As a single, female traveller, I was looking for a clean, safe, friendly place to stay. Hotel Cybelle met all of my needs. It is not a flash hotel and you should not go there thinking that. Howver, everything else makes up for it. Minna and her husband are charming and very caring. The rooms are clean and simple, all equipped with fans and tvs. It was very well located right in the centre of Cannes but it was still very quiet at night, al biet hot because of the summer weather. All in all, I was very happy with my stay there, I was given great advice and I would go back next time I am in Cannes.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

If you are on a budget then stay at Hotel Cybelle. Very clean with friendly and helpful staff (they even helped us to catch our plane on time after we'd partied so hard we nearly slept through)!

Brilliant location right next to the Palais, train station, cafes and shopping. Couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Brit in Berlin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

I've been a regular guest at the Cybelle for has to be well over fifteen years now, coming to Cannes previously for the TV markets and now the film festival. It sounds overblown but there really isn't any other hotel I'd rather be in, which explains why it achieves such a high rating here, scoring higher than the town's astronomically expensive luxury hotels. Here's why...

Every hotel claims to be the friendliest on the planet, but all too often it's either corporate-trained robotics or faked. Mine hosts, Minna and Carlo (She's Finnish, he's Dutch, between them they seem to have 97 languages!) are the Cybelle's heart and soul. It's not a job, it's not just their livelihood, they make the place live and breath! It sounds sentimental but it's true. So when Carlo asked me to post something here because, hey! he wants to keep the flag flying, I was more than happy to say yes.

The Cybelle might not look anything special (although I really go for it, and particularly things like the carpet on the walls of some rooms!), but that's also, for me, the point. The place is clean, neat, well maintained, watched over, safe, quiet and a genuine non-corporate, non-franchise, one-off original, which matters to me very much.

Negatives? None, really. If you need uniformed flunkies, suites, huge flat screens, mini-bars etc., then you won't come here anyway. I suppose the lack of a lift / elevator might prove awkward for anyone afraid of a few stairs, but then Carlo and Minna will jump to help anyway, so even that's not a a factor. Nope, still can't think of a downside here!

Okay, you just want to overnight and explore Cannes or the area, then the Cybelle's perfectly located and great value. Stay here, enjoy yourself, move on. Yes, the prices rise during special events but they do everywhere else, except here you won't be made to feel like that guy in Deliverance, the one who had to "squeal, piggy! Squeal!" (I know, because the one year I messed up my booking I got taken to the cleaners by an apartment rental company I wouldn't recommend to Hitler!). Hopefully, you'll also "get" that the Cybelle's much more than just a place to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

For the past four years, twice a year, I have stayed at the Hotel Cybelle right in the heart of Cannes. I have stayed here for business and feel just as much at home as if I was staying for a leisurely vacation. Hotel Cybelle is very well run, family owned/operated - and you feel like you're family during your stay!

Great rates, five minute walk to the Palais and the Croisette/Beach. The Monoprix (grocery/general store) is two minutes away, as well as one of the best bakeries in Cannes with fresh croissants and baguettes every morning. Yum.

I won't stay anywhere else the next time I'm in the city.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
mn
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2009

Spent 10 days at Hotel Cybelle - probably not for the 'mature' traveler given the spiral staircase, we were on the top floor, and thank goodness for Advil, it was a stretch up and down each day. We asked for a room with a view and got a brick wall.
Bring an alarm clock if you need a wake up call, make sure you have a converter friendly blow dryer as the outlet is next to the bed, and my spouse had to hold my blow dryer in the outlet and hold a mirror so I could dry my hair each day. If you are a non smoker or prone to asthma with smoke you will not enjoy this hotel.
It is close to the train ( just up the street) and close to Rue de Antibes for shopping and close to a great Rue closer by that has shops and incredible cafes lining the lane that goes up and up higher and higher, and all the more charming as you go. Steps from Croisette and $$$ shopping if you have the Euros to do so. The down side is there is no area to prep for the delicious food that is available in the market just a few blocks away. Makes one wish there were self catering in Cannes.
Problem with killer mosquitos if you sleep with the windows open.
Did not get the breakfast as there are numerous cafes and bakeries open to do it on our own for less money. We bought brioche and croissants at the patisserie and then went to the Mc Donald's on the main drag for espresso and cappucino every morning.
Shopped at the MonoPrix department/grocery store up the street and to the left from the hotel - great meats, cheese, bread for sandwiches to take on outings and reasonable wine/beer. Bring a good knife, ziplock bags, etc and pack your own lunch to take each day.
On the upside the staff was friendly and spoke English, cleaning up the room was done except for one day - and the focus was on rooms that were being vacated, not those that are booked. TV is only in French and very few channels available.
All in all at 55 Euro per night we got off cheap for Cannes the land of BIG BUCKS.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Cybelle? Share your experiences!