We again took an extended holiday in the Carlton Intercontinental Hotel in Cannes France. A number of reports have either been complimentary or critical with not much in between.
The condition of the fabric of the hotel has been discussed regularly for a number of years so it is great interest that we hear that the hotel id to close for a number of months so that not only a complete renovation takes place but also a big extension. This is, apparently, due to a new owner of the bricks and mortar who is putting in over 100milion Euros. Fantastic. A new spa with pool is planned we understand.
Now for our current stay; As usual the staff, with one exception that we will discuss later, were as welcoming and friendly and as good as ever from the bell boys to the chamber room maids, from the receptionists to the waiters. There were some big conferences on in the city which disrupts the centre rather more than expectable and the city fathers ought to consider this. The exception to the staff friendliness was the beach manager who over the years seems to have become more pompous and dogmatic and never a smile. We chose after a few days to use another beach about two minutes walk up the beach which seemed to have a few plusses; better bay view, complimentary water, a big welcome as well as better opening hours.
As a royal ambassador we had a big upgrade to a sixth floor room with full sea view. This room is one that will benefit from a renovation although ok not up to current standards, also a bit small, never the less adequate for us.
It always seems odd that due to no smoking regulations that the smokers now get the best position on the terrace for both breakfast and later for snacks and drinks.
There are those who complain of the prices, I say to them that the hotel only charges what people will pay and that as it is usually well booked this would seem to be the going rate.
You get far more value as a member of Priority club and if you stay at intercontinental hotel become an ambassador.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Carlton Cannes Hotel
- Intercontinental Carlton Cannes Hotel Cannes
- Intercontinental Cannes
- Carlton Cannes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The places of tomorrow have a history!Built in 1911, inaugurated in 1913 and ideally located on the famous "La Croisette" Boulevard, close to the Cannes Palais des Festivals and the shopping district, the InterContinental Carlton Cannes is facing the Mediterranean Sea and offers breathtaking views over the Bay of Cannes. Welcoming prestigious guests for a century, the InterContinental Carlton Cannes features 343 rooms, including 39 renovated suites, 2 restaurants (one of them is the Beach restaurant, seasonal), 2 bars. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, HotelsClick, Venere and Priceline so you can book your InterContinental Carlton Cannes reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.