“A warm welcome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Cannes
Winterthur, Switzerland
“A warm welcome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We discovered this lovely place in 1993 and have been back ever since. Very well situated next to the old town (Suquet) with it fantastic restaurants. The old harbour, the Palais de Festival, the public beaches and the famous Croisette are all within walking distance. If you want to relax in the hotel just enjoy its own pool or the nicely equipped rooms.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are a bit more spacious and offer a nice scenic view to the Suquet.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed at Hotel l'Olivier for three nights in August 2012. The hotel was clean and quiet. We received a warm greeting at reception, hospitality that extended throughout our entire stay. This is not a five star resort but offers great value, an excellent location close to many delicious restaurants in la Suquet, and a less than 10 min walk to la Croissette and marina. We would definitely recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

we stayed in l'Olivier for 10 nights, and found it really excellent. All of the staff were really friendly and the room was spotless. It was at times very quiet at the pool, almost like having our own villa. The location was excellent, well within walking distance of everything of interest (suquet, beach, croissette)... Can't complain about anything at all. Also, the food, but most of all duck (canard) at Le Farigoule (5 min from the hotel) is well worth a mention!

Ryan and Natalie, Scotland

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Just returned from a very relaxing 10 days in Cannes staying at L'Olivier with my family. I found the staff very pleasant and helpful, and the atmosphere very quiet and relaxing. My wife particularly liked the authentic provencale decor of the rooms (we booked 2), and these were of a high standard, had effective air conditioning and were fastidiously clean. We also found the beds very comfortable and the 2 rooms we booked also had good views across the bay of Cannes and out over the old town. Breakfast is extra, but was worth it as the buffet was generous and the breakfast area is in a pleasant garden environment. The pool area is small but quite cozy, with enough sunbeds around for anyone wanting to relax at the poolside. A bar at the hotel is available to serve drinks. We found the hotel location very convenient for the main tourist areas of the Croisette, old town and beaches of Cannes, all of these only being a short walk away from the hotel. Had a lovely time here and would recommend this hotel to other travellers.

Room Tip: Some of the superior rooms have balconies, others do not. If you would like a balcony you will need...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Vasteras, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

We have just returned home after spending five wonderful days and nights in Cannes. This was our third time in Cannes and we will for sure return! Found this little charming hotel via Trip Advisor and decided to go for it. We certainly did not regret it! The location is just superb, one hundred meters away from Le Suquet, the charming old town with lots and lots of restaurants. The sandy beaches are less than five minutes walk away. The hotel itself is small and very charming. Seems to be quite recently renovated and everything was very clean, cozy and nice. Cozy lounge, breakfast room in nice "indoor patio", and lovely garden for breakfast coffee etc. Everywhere nice flowers, plants and old furniture. The pool area was rather small, but very comfortable with sun beds, chairs and small tables. Perfect also for a drink when coming home at night after having had a wonderful French dinner in Le Suquet. We had a double garden room, which had a very small balcony facing the garden. Unfortunately no chairs to sit outside, would have loved some foldable ones. The room itself was very nicely decorated in red hues and everything was in perfect condition. A small fridge would have made it even more perfect. The staff was very welcoming and helpful throughout the whole stay, and helped to make you feel at home.
All in all this hotel is really recommended unless you are looking for an international first class hotel. When comparing prices for high season in Cannes this hotel really was very competitive.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
hotelolivier, Propriétaire at Hotel l'Olivier, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Hello, thank you for your nice comment, we are happy you make a good stay, we make necessary to make seat outside in the balcony,
Sincerely

Frédéric
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Having read a lot of very positive reviews about this hotel I was very much looking forward to staying here after my long and exhausting week at the Cannes Lions festival to relax and unwind for a couple of days – however it sadly didn’t happen.

After all my colleagues left for the flight back to London on Saturday morning I made my way to the hotel arriving at around 10.30am. I approached reception and was promptly ignored by the young gentleman behind the desk for a good few minutes.

Reception was empty so once I realised he wasn’t going to acknowledge me I started the conversation saying I was here to check in and his response was ‘you’re too early’. ‘I completely understand’ I said. ‘May I sit by the pool until my room is ready?’

‘You can go for a walk’ I was told.

‘I’d rather not at the moment’ I said ‘as I have just walked from the station and would like to have a drink and cool down for a few minutes if that’s ok’

This was met with a shrug of the shoulders. I asked for a bottle of water and he promptly sold me one at 4 euros (which I thought was a bit steep for a bottle of Evian – but we are in Cannes after all)

I then sat by the lovely quiet (if you block out the duel carriageway the other side of the hedge) and picturesque pool for a few minutes. I then went back in to say I was going for a walk and what time would be convenient for me to come back. This was met with a full conversation between a lady, an older gentleman (her husband?) and the same young man from earlier (their son?) I was then told my room was ready – but this seemed to have caused great upheaval to the hotel. I thanked them very much and the older gentleman took me and my bags up to my room which I was very thankful for as this was on the 2nd floor and there was no lift.

The whole ‘checking in’ procedure seemed very disjointed and little bits were done whenever I came past the reception.

I settled in to my room, went for a walk to get my bearings and then sat by the pool for the rest of the afternoon – all very pleasant.

Later that evening I went down to reception and asked the young man behind the desk (different from the earlier one) if he could tell me the way to the church on the hill. He was very polite and drew on a map where I needed to go. I asked if he would mind taking my room key and he said of course there is a 24 hour reception so you can pick it up anytime you’re back.

Their room keys have huge brass-type keyrings which I didn’t really want to take around with me when I went for some walks so asked if they would mind keeping hold of it. However, the retrieval of the key on my return was met with a sense of annoyance and inconvenience from a few people behind reception.

I then retuned around 11.30pm to collect my room key and stood waiting in reception for someone to acknowledge me. No-one came, so I sat down on one of the comfy chairs in reception to wait. Whilst waiting I tried the wi-fi on my phone but it was ‘out of range’ - odd seeing as I was sitting in reception of the hotel. I then saw someone walking back and forth through the dining room – after about his 3rd trip through I approached him and asked if he would kindly give me my room key. This was met with a half turn towards me, a grunt and, what seemed to be to him, a very inconvenient walk to reception which consisted of approximately 5 steps.

I had a good nights sleep and looked forward to breakfast in the morning. It was 13 euros so I was expecting a wonderful spread.

How disappointed I was. A couple of types of cereal (cheap cornflakes), a couple of pastries (if I took a couple would there be enough for others?), some yoghurt and ham in a fridge and some bits of bread for toast - not what I would constitute a 13 euro breakfast. The older gentleman was hovering around but never approached me to ask if I would like tea or coffee or if I was ok.

I then went back to my room to pack and check some emails. There was a knock at the door at 9.50am and when I opened it I saw the maid standing there with a look of surprise on her face. She asked if I was checking out and I said yes, at 11.00 as per the hotel information. This seemed to also surprise her but I left it at that and closed the door. Now that I felt rushed to check out I gathered my belongings and was at reception by 10.30. I explained that my flight wasn’t until 21.10 that evening so would it be ok to sit by the pool for a few hours and maybe have a shower in one of the rooms that hadn’t been cleaned yet. ‘There are showers at the beach’ I was told and that I could sit by the pool only until other guests arrived as it was very small. Granted it is a small pool but the previous day it had been just myself and 1 other guest for most of the day so thought this was a bit odd. Feeling as an unwanted vistor rather than a Guest I paid my bill and checked out.

I went to the hotel next door (Hotel Les Orangers) and explained my predicament and asked if could they help me and they were more than helpful – even lending me a towel that didn’t cost 3 euors and offering to store my bags. I then went back to the l'Olivier, picked up my bags and left – never to return.

Now that we are able to choose and book our own flights at times that are convenient to us I have booked later flights so that I can enjoy my last day of holiday and this has never been a problem before – as was confirmed at the hotel next door.

The free wi-fi was great – when you could get on but annoyingly you could only use 1 devise at a time with the special code. I had a mobile and a laptop so kept having to turn one off, wait a few minutes then turn the other back on. Also, the wi-fi didn’t seem to work anywhere but my room – so I could not use my mobile when by the pool which I found slightly inconvenient.

Overall, the noisy road, small pool, and poor wi-fi connection would all have been excused had it not been for the rude and unhelpful staff that made you feel as though you were an inconvenience.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, Propriétaire at Hotel l'Olivier, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Hello,
thank you for your comment, I'll be brief.
- The room are available at 14 am, upon arrival, the hotel while it emptied because of the convention ends, even when we have a quick room category for book not what you expected too much, which are not an obligation, has just arrived for a 7 am to 2 pm!.
- On your departure you have to keep your bags offer, unfortunately we do not have a shower available (except the palace but dearer), concerning the same for the pool this afternoon, if there is not many people this is not a problem but if you stay there in the world I understand that customers who meet the hours of arrival and departure be upset if they have no place. Otherwise come at 7am and leave at night to 20 am paying for 37 h overnight stay!!
 - We have proposed the beach, rent a beach at 13 euros, because you could enjoy your after noon on the beach with a shower room to change clothes and return for your bags. But well done dear ca 13 euros for a nice afternoon?
- The towel costing 3 euros for the stay, we must wash it and buy it?
- Wifi, there are free, you had to ask a second code for the second unit. He walks across the hotel but some antivirus are incompatible
- The key to the room are big just to let us know if you are in the hotel or not, for not returning that intruders.
- Breakfast costs 13 euros, it does have corns flakes but know that the corn flake is not a CEREAL has low cost. There brioche, croissants, pain au chocolat, two kinds of bread, orange juice, grapefruit juice, two kinds of ham, gruyere, eggs, yaourths, I forgot I think other thing and all this at will. We comply with the buffet regularly so there is no lack. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate are served at will.
We are sorry that your stay is tempered by our imconpétence fortunately that some people enjoy their stay there
Cordially
Frederic
sheffield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Excellent location in regards to the town and sea front but it is up a hill and across a busy road so won't be ideal for everyone. The staff were friendly and helpful. Room was cleaned every day, quite modern with a very comfy bed. The pool area had sun all day up till around 7pm (we stayed in June 2012). The sun loungers were comfy and we mostly had the pool to ourselves when we were there. Air con in the room was really good, temp got cool quite quickly. The wi-fi was free and the signal was strong for our stay. We stayed for 5 nights and would stay there again. There is a bar but they do not do food or snacks past breakfast so we had to go out for lunch but that was not a problem as it is so close to everything.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Propriétaire at Hotel l'Olivier, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
thank you very much sincerely Frédéric

Been to Hotel l'Olivier? Share your experiences!