“Don't be "Conned" by official hotel photos shown on the website” 4 of 5 stars

Majestic Barriere Cannes
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   10, La Croisette, 06407 Cannes, France   |
Ranked #15 of 136 Hotels in Cannes
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Don't be "Conned" by official hotel photos shown on the website”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed for 7 nights at the end of June 2014. POSITIVES - Beautiful Hotel, Great location, Extremely friendly, helpful staff everywhere in the hotel (particularly Rodger when checking in). Excellent quality and choice of food at breakfast. NEGATIVES - Old "tired" room. Stained curtains. Stained walls. The shower was over the bath (which then leaked all over the floor). This was not the beautiful bathroom shown on the hotel official website for the room type that we booked. Don't be fooled by photographs. The mattress was old and "sunken in" in the middle. Awful pillows. The TV was attached to a side wall so could not be watched comfortably from the bed. You have to pay to use the hotel swimming pool (What a nerve). Wifi 15 Euro per day

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Majestic Barriere Cannes, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear client,

Thanks you very much for your constructive feedback. It is a real pleasure to read how you enjoyed our overall service. Thanks you as well for your comments regarding the breakfast.

However, I deeply regret to learn that you did not enjoy your room. Please accept my sincere apologies and rest assured that we carefully noted your comments.

Once again, thanks you very much for your feedback you provide us. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back again.

Best regards,

Pierre-Louis Renou

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

My son and I are staying at the majestic right now. The room we are in is tired and dirty (paint peeling, wallpaper brown) but the most disappointing thing is the cost of extras that are not show on its website. Around €30 for use of the lounge by the pool per person per day.
Many hidden extras to be aware of. Would not stay here again

• Stayed July 2014
Dear client,

We regret that we have not been able to meet your expectations. This is certainly not the experience we want to provide to our guest.

For your information, access to the swimming pool is completely free during all the year and renting a lounger is also free during a part of the year, except during the summer due to high activity (we have 349 rooms) and, unfortunately, lack of space around the swimming-pool.

Please accept my deepest apologies and thanks you for your constructive feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to give you an other experience of our hotel.

Cluj-Napoca, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Probably one my favourite hotel! Everything it's so nice , the staff, the rooms, the beach area and the Japonese cuisine restaurant on the beach it's a must place . Location is the best , perfect for shopping .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear client,

Thanks you very much for this wonderful review on TripAdvisor website,

It is a real pleasure to read such nice things about our hotel and i'm delighted that you had a great time.

We look forward to welcome you back for an other " perfect " stay!

garden city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

this was our first stop on our family vacation to provence. the check in staff were exceptionally welcoming and efficient, thankfully so after our 16 hour trip. they sorted out our rooms quickly and upgraded us to a room with a sea view and interconnecting as i had requested.

the private beach across the hotel was convenient for a quick dip in the sea and some drinks in the evening. we sat on the pier that was jutting out into the sea. what a great view and a great way to start the holiday. however, the service at the bar on the beach was excruciatingly slow. we waited at least 40 mins for our cocktails and fruit platter.

the rooms were well designed with a nautical color scheme, not exactly spacious but very comfortable. however one mention was that the bathroom tabletop was a bit stained and so were the glasses.

we asked for recommendations for dinner as well as for shopping and i must mention that the concierges were amazing, they pointed us to some very good restaurants right by the beach and got us the best tables on the house! i must also mention that my mom had left her newly purchased handbag at the hotel, and it took one phone call, and they got it courried to our next hotel in cap d'antibes, without any fuss. we received the bag within 2 hours of my phone call. that's just outstanding service! thank you very much concierge!!

breakfast in the morning was quite a blowout, with lots of fresh fruits, eggs made to order, a variety of bakery items and many kinds of yoghurts, plus champagne for mimosas. however the wait staff again were a bit slow, cappuccinos took a long time and they got our egg orders wrong.

overall we had a pleasant experience at this hotel and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Pierre Louis R, Directeur général at Majestic Barriere Cannes, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the hotel Majestic Barrière and for taking the time to share you comments with us and thank you for posting a glowing review of your recent stay at our property.

I am happy to know that your stay with us has been wonderful and I am charmed to read your passionate appreciation of the excellent facilities the hotel has to offer and the good services.

Every day all our staff makes their the best in order to all our guests feel specially, so it will be a pleasure to forward them your kind comments in regards to the service and especially to concierge’s team. It’s a wonderful compliment for us to know their service you found outstanding!

Your nice compliments are a great reward to our continuous efforts to meet our clients' expectations. Deserving your trust is essential.

Regarding the slow service at beach restaurant and during your breakfast in the morning in reason of the high activity, of course I am extremely sorry about that but I am pleased to inform you that we will make arrangements to prevent this happening again.

Thank you again for the courtesy of your time and for the recommendation.
We all look forward to welcoming you again very soon at the Hotel Majestic Barrière.

Yours sincerely,

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This is a stunning Hotel, wonderful staff, location, rooms, cloud like bed and we were given a complimentary upgrade from a Deluxe to a Deluxe room with Sea glimpses even though they were very full; if we stayed again we would book an Seaview room.
I do think the Hotel Beachclub should have a special rate for Hotel Guests (it's the same price for guests as the general public) OR Hotel Guests should have the first row / superior seating reserved, there is just no current preference or incentive to go to their beach club. Internet is very expensive - 15 euro per device per day; we felt the internet was excessive.

Room Tip: Book a Sea View Room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing the hotel Majestic Barrière and for taking the time to share you comments with us and for posting a glowing review of your recent stay at our property.

I am happy to know that you spent a nice time with us, that you appreciated the free upgrade at your check-in time and you found our staff wonderful.

Your positive opinion is a great reward to our continuous efforts to meet our clients' expectations. Deserving your trust is essential. My staff and my, we are all happy that we will have a pleasure to welcome you again during your next travel to Cannes in one beautiful Deluxe Sea View room.

I am just very sorry that you do not agree with our prices’ policy concerning the beach and internet using.

Again, we appreciate you taking a moment to provide your feedback, as we know your time is valuable.

We would love to welcome you for another nice stay with us, as soon as possible !

With best regards,

Waregem, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I was here for business, excellent location hotel, top class, top food, top staff, etc etc ;-)
Just do it, if you can afford the stay. Public parkings closeby, beach closeby, palais du festival closeby and lot's of nice restaurants and bars at very close walking distance.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about the hotel Majestic Barriere.

I am delighted to know that you enjoyed our perfect location in Cannes as I perfectly understand how it is very important when you are coming for a business reasons.

We are also very pleased to read that you appreciated the quality of our service and proposed dishes in ours restaurants.

I hope offered comfort contributed to the good decision for you and your company.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again for another TOP STAY with us.

Best regards.

Adelaide, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was a guest at the Majestic Barriere in Cannes on June 3. I had been looking forward to staying in the hotel. Unfortunately my excitement turned to disappointment as the room I was given looked dirty with marks on the wall and paint cracking on the wardrobe doors. The Majestic Barriere is a five star hotel and this room was not in a good condition. This room was 512.

The weight scales in the bathroom did not function. It would not work. Also after many attempts the TV was not working. I was tired from my travels and I decided to have some rest in bed. I asked for a king room and I noticed the bed was 2 single beds pushed together. This is very uncomfortable to sleep on as the bed moves apart and there is no real layer on the mattress apart from the mattress protector.

Two singles beds do not suffice for a king bed. Soon after laying in bed one of the beds wheels fell off and the bed was lopsided. I tried to fix this myself but I couldn't attach the leg to the bed.

At this time I called guest services to have someone come to help me fix the bed and television. The telephone operator advised me that he would send someone to fix the room. I went to La Plage and spent a few hours relaxing there. I had to spend 29 Euro for a sunbed as I couldn't rest in the room. The room smelled like the fragrance from the lobby. The whole hotel smells like the Foquet fragrance.

This fragrance was starting to give me a headache. If I had known that the hotel was going to smell like a perfumery I would have stayed away. After a while the smell is quite powerful and there was no where to escape it in the hotel.

When I returned to my room I was very disappointed to find that my bed was still unfixed. I had been away many hours and I wanted to go to bed. Once again I called guest services and asked for someone to come fix my bed. I was advised that someone would be at my room very soon.

I waited in the room. Not able to watch television as it still was not working. The room fragrance was making my head sore. It began to irritate me. I was very agitated that the service was so terrible in this hotel. It is a five star hotel and I am left waiting over 5 hours to have someone fix the bed?

I called guest services, yet again. This time I could hear some men talking and laughing before the operator bothered to address me. I had explained that I needed to go to sleep and i wanted the bed to be fixed. I paid over €220 and I wanted to sleep in the middle of a king bed for that price. The man on the phone laughed and once more said that someone would be at my room soon.

By this time I was so frustrated and angry. In addition to this, my head was aching as that fragrance was irritating me. It's not even a subtle smell. It is potent! I went for a walk to calm down. When I returned to my room I found the bed was fixed. The bedside table was moved away from the bed and no one bothered to neaten it up again. The television was fixed but by this time my headache was very terrible, caused by an awful mix of frustration and the irritating fragrance. I had called reception to speak to a manager to make a complaint.

The duty manager was very polite. I was advised I would have a new room. I had a drink at the bar while the new room was being prepared. I was slightly happy to be upgraded to a suite with a terrace, room 249. The terrace was nice to get fresh air away from the fragrance of the room again. Although I was on the second floor and I could hear the loud diners at the poolside restaurant. My plans for the evening were RUINED by your incompetent staff.

My initial room and bed could have been fixed quickly and I could have enjoyed my night out in Cannes. I live in Australia, I don't get to Europe very often, mainly because of the price and I have limited time when I do travel due to work commitments. So when I do come to Europe and I have one night to enjoy Cannes I don't want my night to be ruined by a hotel that is meant to have a good reputation, is still expensive and absolutely stinks.

My frustration continued when I checked out. There was a €304 charge on my room account that was not mine. I was told this was a charge for breakfast. What did I eat for €304? This incorrect charge was removed. The whole checkout process took around 25 minutes. Way longer than it should have. I then asked another receptionist a question and she advised me there was a €42 charge on my account that was outstanding for wine from the mini bar. I never used any of the overpriced minibar items. Again this was incorrect and removed. I thought i was being pranked as this seemed like a complete joke!

So I feel there are many issues that need to be addressed for the comfort of future guests. I have never been so annoyed by bad service like I was in this hotel. This really did ruin my time in Cannes.

I could have chosen to stay at any of the other lovely hotels in Cannes but I chose to stay at the Majestic Barriere. I feel on this occasion I should have chosen the Carlton. I know errors sometimes occur, that is normal, everyday life but over the last two days at this hotel there were too many errors and service issues to ignore. This has left me upset with a headache and 2 days of my holiday ruined. When i emailed the hotel asking for a refund, i was told that i would only be able to be upgraded (subject to availability) on my next visit. Quite funny to think that i would return to the hotel again after this comedy of errors! one cocktail and upgrade does not fix 2 ruined days of my holiday.

I am still waiting after a few weeks to hear back from the manager regarding the refund as i have emailed the hotel again. Please be cautious about booking this hotel if you are irritated by overpowering fragrance.

The buffet breakfast was superb but it should be for the price.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you don't like strong fragrances or at least get a room with a balcony so...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Been to Majestic Barriere Cannes? Share your experiences!