“Brilliant! You must eat here” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #131 of 653 Restaurants in Cannes
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
United kingdom
“Brilliant! You must eat here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We found Pause earlier in the day as we went to the tea emporium opposite which does a great iced tea in the summer. Pause was packed at lunch time and the food that was being served looked incredible so we went for dinner that night.
The staff are wonderful, very friendly and make you feel welcome. They do an amazing 3 course meal for 19€ we had salad niciose, the biggest plate of mussels in a white wine broth served with bread and fries then a to die for lemon meringue pie.
We are not recommending Pause just for the huge potions, the quality of the food is fantastic, even if you cant finish your plate lol... Value for money for sure, we are sad we didn't find this restaurant sooner as we would eat here everyday if we could :-)

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

London
“Where the locals go”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you go to Pause Cafe for lunch, rain or shine, you will see loads of air kissing (and yes, that includes the men) between staff, guests, friends, locals...everyone seems to know everyone here.

I had eaten lunch and dinner here in October and came back today, eager to try it again and see if the welcome was still as good. And it is. It's fine if you're on your own, I was shown a lovely table at the front, where I could watch the world go by and listen to the people around me. The two middle-aged guys behind me seemed to be plotting to buy a huge property near Mandelieu and transform it into either a high class brothel ('somewhere you can take you secretary and no-one will know') or an events centre - maybe the same thing, really - I saw them again twenty minutes later outside another cafe, having another Pastis and no doubt discussing what to do with the potential earnings from this not-to-be-missed bargain.

But I digress... the welcome at Pause Cafe was as warm as ever, the food tasty (langoustines in puff pastry with a very fresh salad), the wine palatable and although the creme brulee was just a little too sweet for my taste, it was a pleasant, unhurried lunch in a place which is full to the brim with locals, buzzing and, unlike many places in Cannes, totally unpretentious. I think I might go back for lunch tomorrow...

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“A gem in jaded Cannes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I ended up here totally by chance after being told at Da Laura further down the road that they were fully booked (strange, there were some empty tables but I guess they did not want a table for one when they could have had two people instead). What a welcome change at Pause Cafe - the waitress sat me down outside (the weather was balmy), brought me a menu and asked me if I wanted some magazines. That was so kind of her and I was made to feel welcome and valued, even though I was on my own that evening.

The food is great, freshly cooked, tasty and well priced. It was so good I went back for lunch the next day (on my own again). The same waitress recognised me, smiled and offered me a free Kir with the menu (lots of salads, omelettes, croque-monsieur and a few plats du jour at lunchtime). I had one of the the plats du jour - and by the look of things, I wasn't the only one - which was fantastic: scampi with a lime sabayon, quinoa and lots of vegetables, a glass of Rose, a carafe of water and great coffee afterwards - all for the princely sum of just over 21€ which, for Cannes, is pretty good value (a salad at a beach restaurant will cost you €25).

The best thing about this place is that it's full of locals, people come to say hello to the team, the waitresses are charming and the food is good. Definitely on my 'must go again' list.

• Visited October 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Good, cheap, close, friendly”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We ate here because it was right next to our hotel (hotel was awful) and was very reasonably priced. We had the fixed menu, which included an appetizer, entree, and dessert, for 19 Euros. The salad with warm goat cheese was amazing! The mussels were tiny but delicious, and there were plenty of them. Tomato and mozzarella salad was great too. Skirt steak was good but not great. Desserts were good but nothing amazing. The service was incredibly friendly, although pretty slow. Everyone working there was so incredibly nice, and came by several times to check on us and just to chat.

I'm sure there are nicer places to eat, but this was a great inexpensive meal!

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Munich, Germany
“Great food, value for money!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

Before I went to Cannes, I scoured the internet for reasonable places to have lunch and found this place under a listing of the 10 best cafes in Cannes. So when my husband and I happened to be on Rue Hoche and hungry, we decided to give the restaurant a try - and were we glad we did! We were quickly seated and given the menu despite the restaurant running a brisk lunch business. We ordered the dish of the day - salmon with prawns and bulgur and were pleasantly surprised at the huge plate that was put in front of us with a thick cut slice of salmon and 2 huge prawns, half-peeled. On striking up a conversation with our neighbor, he told us that he had been coming to the restaurant almost the whole week of his stay because the food was good. Everything he had ordered had been excellent. We also ordered a wine and a sinnful dessert, both of which were good. My husband mentioned THREE times during the day that the food was good. I would highly recommend this place. You won't get served the crap sometimes served to tourists.

• Visited June 2011