“Average - do your research” 3 of 5 stars
Review of JW Marriott Cannes

You added JW Marriott Cannes to your Saves list
JW Marriott Cannes
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   50 boulevard de la Croisette, 06414 Cannes, France (Formerly Palais Stephanié)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
15% off
Ranked #40 of 136 Hotels in Cannes
“Average - do your research”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed the week after the film festival and the pool was closed. We were offered beach vouchers at check-in and that was appreciated. I found the staff to be attentive, friendly and helpful. As to decor - well it's not my style. It isn't modern unless you think it is 1980. Hallways are all black and chrome but OK that's not for me, maybe you'll like that. The room was large for Europe, bathroom had a small shower and a larger tub that also had a shower. All in all the room was fine but hot water - I'm not exaggerating to say you can put the faucet on full and wait 5 minutes to get hot water coming from the spigot. My other complaint is the wi-fi issue. Charging, I think it was €25 per night is stupid. Yes stupid. You don't charge for TV - why charge for wi-fi? "Because we can" I'm sure. Well I'm not sure that's working out for you. I expect Wi-fi like I expect hot water - not a separate charge. That's a deal-killer for me.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kalliopi_Paroussi, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cannes, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Jack R,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on our TripAdvisor webpage.

We appreciate your feedback in regards to the size of the room, and the service you experience from our employees.

Regarding your comments on the swimming pool, we are happy to find out that you enjoyed the beach vouchers instead.

Concerning the internet prices that you have mentioned we would like to inform you, that we are offering average prices with other 5 star hotels in Cannes. However for the convenience of our guests we offer unlimited intenet in the hotel lobby. We sincerely hope that you had the chance to use this service as well.

Once again thank you very much for getting back to us.

We thank you for having chosen the JW Marriott Cannes and wish you a great summer

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

Recently stayed at the JW Marriott Cannes. Hotel is in a perfect condition. I was a little disappointed that the roof top pool was closed, but they gave us a voucher for the beach. Beach was right across the street and a Sandy Beach. Bed was super comfortable, room was large, bathroom large with great soaps and shampoo. Free wi-fi in the lobby only. Staff was very nice, helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were at the end of a long hall and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

I'm a Marriott platinum member and we were taken good care of by the wonderful Margaux from the guest relation department. She really answered all our needs.
However, I felt a little cheated by being given the wrong info in advance:
I booked a 3 night weekend at the end of May & beginning of June. When I made the reservation through the Marriott website it was indicated that the roof top pool will be closed till the end of May. During my stay I discovered that the pool won't be opened till the 4th of June! That was unfair as I was expecting to use it in June. They did provide us with free vouchers for the beach but that still didn't make up for not being able to enjoy the selection of the hotel facilities. Big disappointment!!
Secondly, the prices of the minibar items are outrageous!
I stayed in JW Marriott hotels all around the world but never saw such an attempt for a rip off!!
They actually have the guts to charge 8 euros for a can of soft drink!! I understand this is Cannes and a luxury hotel, but 8 euros for a Pepsi??? I could accept 3 or 4 euros which is very high anyway but 8 euros?!
Over all the hotel was ok, it's a pity it doesn't keep up with the smaller details...

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Elad G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay on our TripAdvisor webpage.

It was with great pleasure to read that Margaux, was able to make a memorable difference to your stay. We thank you for taking note of her name and for sharing your experience online.

Regarding your comments on the swimming pool, we do acknowledge your disappointment. Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you went through as described. We were happy though that you were able to use the complimentary beach vouchers offered instead.

Concerning the minibar prices that you have mentioned, we would like to inform you, that among our competitors in Cannes, the 5 star hotels, we are offering average prices. Comparing ourselves with other Marriott Hotels in the rest of Europe the prices are also very competitive.

Dear Elad G, we would like to ensure you that all your comments in detail have been shared with the our Management.

Once again thank you very much for getting back to us. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the JW Marriott Cannes as we would like to extend to you the hospitality and demonstrate to you the high standards of service we are better known for.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I was in town for an event and this was one of the partner hotels so I received a discounted rate. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to check into my room until after 3pm. When I was able to check in, someone from the desk walked the key over to me without any information. I learned from a friend also staying in the hotel that the rooftop pool was CLOSED. They didn't even have the courtesy to inform their guests. Another person didn't find out until she took the elevator up to the roof and saw construction happening. The front desk also didn't inform me that beach passes were available for free since the rooftop pool wasn't open. A few days into my stay, an undated letter appeared stating that construction to remove equipment was taking place but the letter NEVER stated explicitely that the pool/roof were closed.

It's annoying that free WiFi is only in the lobby area. At the price they charge for the room, WiFi should be included in every room. Since the roof was closed, I tried to barter for free in room WiFi but they weren't having it.

The hotel décor is modern (think black, gold, disco-esque) and the rooms are large. There are robes, slippers and safes in the room. Minibar is also in the room but there are no prices. I didn't find out until check out that the candy bar and juice I had cost 7 euros each!! There is a shower and bath in the room. I never used the shower because it's small (on par with your typical French hotel bathroom). The tub is quite slippery and difficult to get in and out of. There was some noise and door slamming early in the morning in the halls so beware if you are a light sleeper.

The location is good but there are probably better options in a similar price range on the Croisette. The concierge was helpful and I feel like the desk staff is nice enough, but they didn't go out of their way to make it a great experience. I agree that it's NOT a 5 star hotel. I would not come back here if I was in Cannes.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Kalliopi_Paroussi, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cannes, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear LVJ1980,

Thank you very much for taking the time comment on your recent stay with us.

We were very sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations and we would like to sincerely apologize for the experience you went through as described.

We totally feel your disappointment for the fact that our pool was not available. Please be rest assured that we had indeed communicated this information into our website as well as to travel partners well in advance and we are very sorry to find out that you have not been informed at all regarding this prior to your arrival.

Regarding our prices that you have mentioned, we would like to let you know, that among our competitors in Cannes, the 5 star hotels, we are offering average prices. Comparing ourselves with other Marriott Hotels in the rest of Europe the prices are also very competitive.

Please be informed that we have shared all your comments in detail with the Management for a further review.

It goes without saying that the hotel places great importance on the comfort of each and every guest and we do value your feedback so we can continually monitor our service standards.

Clevedon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Being Marriott Gold Elite member I expected the best at this property for my 5 night stay.. Room comfortable but corridors dark and dingy. We always ask in advance for extra towels and pillows but not provided. Had to ask each and every day. Housekeeping left a lot ot be desired with soap not even being changed. Several times the toilet paper was replaced with 1/2 used rolls! Glasses taken away and not replaced and kettle never emptied of water. Room service staff entered our room after knocking, without our permission, and for no reason as nothing had been ordered or needed to be removed. The only night we did order food in our room, we both got very sick. Breakfast buffet a joke for a "5" star hotel, with very little choice and poor quality of food. Please do not go here thinking you will have English speaking TV outside of the news. Only Sky, BBC, CNN news, nothing else. We had to order 18euro movies in order to have entertainment should we not wish to sleep early. Noisy in the streets outside and in the corridors. Could not use the rooftop pool due to the film festival so have no opinion of that, unfortunately. Our elevator was shared with staff moving furniture etc. Very poor communication with the staff at this hotel, probably would not be the case if you were a celebrity of course.
Would never stay here again. Much better hotels in the area.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Kalliopi_Paroussi, Guest Relations Manager at JW Marriott Cannes, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Dear Topolli,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the JW Marriott Hotel.

We sincerely apologize for the experience you went through as described in regards to your stay.

Looking back, we certainly appreciate that you shared your comments already through a private message and you gave us the opportunity to present our excuses and to make it up.

As already informed you we have shared your feedback with the Department Heads for a further review.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Having travelled all over the world, I am shocked to write my first POOR review on trip advisor which has been awarded to JW Marriott Cannes. I STRONGLY do not recommend this hotel as it only seems to care about there VIP/Celebrity guests.

An awful experience. Having booked to stay here for 5 nights during the busy Cannes festival and paying a premium price during this season it is a shame to say the treatment received was FAR from 5 Star.

- Housekeeping Enters Room - UNAUTHORISED on TWO occasions.

Staff just walk in room after knocking the door and not waiting even for 5 seconds! I was changing and a male housekeeping staff decided to enter the room and check the minibar and argues that we were supposed to check out today which was INCORRECT information as we had extended our stay. Not only did he just enter the room but the ATTITUDE of this staff member was DISGUSTING. Whilst my partner is talking to him he is walking away and not even acknowledging him and NOT ONE APOLOGY from him. NOT good service at all!

- LIFT - small and dark!

Only ONE lift working for two days! We had to wait 10 MINUTES just to get to our room as only 1 lift was working for level 5. To top that off, room service/maintenance with large building equipment/ tables would also enter lifts with guests which is not professional at all. Picture uploaded.

- WIFI - Expensive / stressful code logins

Most hotels these days provide free Internet but even after paying over €1,000 euro a night (standard room) marriot still charge a ridiculous daily rate of €25 ! Also you would like to think it is a simple "enter room number and last name" login HOWEVER each DAY you are provided with a code which is a mixture of 10 numbers/ alphabets which expire every 24 hours. There is always problems with the code and it is always disconnecting so you are forever typing in confusing long usernames and passwords which is NOT practical for business

- ROOM SERVICE -

Worst MENU selection. I have uploaded a picture. Considering The French are renown for there outstanding cuisine, I am shocked to see "PLAIN grilled chicken" and the few other bland dishes on the menu. I explained to the Chef the menu is extremely bland and I was offered ketchup or mayonnaise to accompany the dish!?' Marriot you really need to look into your room service, the chef even informed me that I am not the first to mention this point. Picture uploaded.

- ROOM -

Dark dingy hallways. The room was extremely noisy due to being located on the 5th floor which also holds the outdoor function area. Continuous drilling and banging.

- STAFF - poor communication.

Front Desk communication was poor and after having speaking to a manger about the awful service received, I was informed I would receive a call with an update. However the supervisor "Carol" had not passed any information on to "Kaliopi" and she had finished her duty. I then had to ring up and chase the matter to find out nothing had been looked into and to close the chapter the manger comments a "apologies from Marriot". Unacceptable!

- BREAKFAST - Same serving cutlery used for PORK also used for Vegetables!

Worst breakfast ever, No serving cutlery for each dish. I asked a member of staff for a serving spoon for the mushrooms and I was given the used serving tongs from the bacon dish, which was already out and had pieces of fried bacon stuck to it. My partner is Vegetarian and was absolutely disgusted that a 5 star hotel would even think to mix pork and vegetables with the same serving cutlery. Outrageous service from Marriott. Picture uploaded.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Kellyjcook,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your stay with us.

Looking back, we certainly appreciate that you shared your comments during your stay, where you gave us the opportunity to take care of it while here. We were very sorry though to find out only after your departure that you were still not satisfied with the resolution especially further to the conversations we had. I really assumed that your matter was resolved while here us.
Please be rest assured that all your comments have been forwarded them to our Heads of Departments to further review.

Nuevo, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

My wife, son, and is pent 5 nights here during the film festival. Yes the pool was closed, and that was communicated well in advance, and we were given beach vouchers upon request. The bed was wonderful! Definitely the best bed during our 3 week trip and it seemed larger than a typical king size bed. The shower was also great! The room size was fine, but adding a roll away made it a bit cramped.

We found the staff to be fine. They were polite and helpful at all times. The biggest complaint is the noise. We were on the east side of the hotel facing aside street. We were told that this was the quieter side because all of the events happening on the other side of the hotel. Unfortunately there is a club that is on the side street that had people coming and going literally all night. And of course the rich oil barons in their Lambroghini's and Ferrari's have to rev the engines to show off when they leave.

As others have said the cost of the internet is high, as is the overall cost of the hotel. I would never dream of paying almost 1000 euros a night for a hotel room, but this is a great bargain using rewards points, and as a Platinum Rewards member thrown in free internet and free daily breakfast and you have a heck of a deal.

My only advice is that unless you are going to Cannes specifically for the Film Festival then avoid the whole area from mid May until the end of May.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Been to JW Marriott Cannes? Share your experiences!