“Distinctly average stay.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 134 hotels in Cannes
London, United Kingdom
“Distinctly average stay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I was visiting Cannes for work and so I did not pick where I stayed. With this in mind the hotel was not particularly close to the Palais but still within walking distance - approx 15 mins. It is located right by a main road and a train track so is a noisey position and to get to the shopping, restaurants & cafes you either turn left and cross the main road or turn right and go through a subway. The subway is well lit but I would recommend that any lone females get a taxi back or make sure you have colleagues to walk with as it doesn't feel like the safest location.

The Hotel itself is ok but nothing to get very excited about. It is decorated with suits of armour which is little bit odd... the rooms do not have a kettle so you can't make tea or coffee. There is also no mini fridge so if you need a bottle of water or a soft drink etc you need to order it through room service. I did discover a vending machine down by the swimming pool so that is a cheaper option! You have to pay for Wi-fi; either per hour or for 24 hours. It's 15 EUR for 24 hours. Considering so many places are able to provide this for free it's a tad annoying... especially as you have to go down to the reception desk to arrange access (you need a little slip of paper with a log in and password). I did not have a menu in my room so I had to ask for one down at reception but I was able to arrange for breakfast in my room each morning (I prefer this to going to down to a restaurant) and although it shuld have cost 2 EUR extra I was not charged this, so that was a nice surprise. I also had dinner in my room one evening and it was nice food and the service was very good - the girl who works there is very friendly and is from Nottingham. All the staff, except the Chamber Maids, spoke very good English so this was a massive plus.

There is no gym but there is an outdoor swimming pool. It is not heated but it is a lovely space which is unfortunately marred by the proximity to the main road and train tracks in terms of noise levels. However, it is nicely fenced in by bushes etc so you do have privacy from the road/tracks.

So, over all a pretty average hotel with quite basic rooms but the staff were on the whole pretty friendly and helpful. I can't make much comment on the value as I did not book or pay for my room but I know this is an expensive area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
london
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

The website is a bit deceiving. The rooms aren't that nice and the pool area is right next to a main road so you can't relax with all the car and bike noise.

It's also not that close to town and beach. Not too bad but you have to cross a main road and walk down some dodgy streets.

The pool itself is lovely and the breakfast although limited was really nice. Service was ok. Parking there but expensive.

It wasn't awful and as I said was well priced vs other Cannes hotels but I wouldn't stay again.

Room Tip: Quite a loud hotel surrounded by loud roads so I guess ask fro a quiet one
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

We stayed at this hotel with our kids for 4 days this summer. This used to be a very nice french mansion, which was converted into a hotel and thus it has a lot of French character built to it. Our room was facing the pool and even though the hotel was conveniently close (walking distance) to the heart of Cannes, our quarters were very quite. The hotel service and personnel from the service desk to the restaurant and bar were outstanding, helpful and spoke well English, the rooms were very comfortable, clean, large (for European standards) and distinctively decorated with various flairs. The buffet breakfast was excellent to satisfy adults and kids of all ages. Although we had a car, we never used it in Cannes, because the hotel was nicely located very close from downtown and everything you need, such as shopping, excellent restaurants, marina and the beach. We would not think twice in staying at this hotel again and will recommend it to any of our friends.

Room Tip: California suite is very nice!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Richmond Hill, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Let me start with this is the first time i have EVER included a picture of a hotel room in any review I have ever written. But to be fair, I did also include one of the view from the room's window. I am generally an easy going traveler, and things have to be extreme before they will invoke negative comments from me.
Let me be absolutely clear: this is NOT a 4 star hotel as it holds itself out to be, at least not based on some of the rooms they put people in. At best, the room we had was a 2 star. Our room, while clean, was old, tired and badly in need of new paint, new curtains, new furniture and a new bed. The bathroom had been redecorated in the last 10 years, and was fine, but needed a proper shower.
It was tiny - there wasn't a spot on the floor where you could fully open our suitcases without hitting the wall or the bed. Look at the picture and you will see what I mean.
Friends stayed in another room and had the opposite experience - a room with a terrace and newer furnishings - all at roughly the same price (a little more as it had two beds).
Internet is not free anywhere in the hotel. The woman at the front desk (who seemed to be some form of management and just seemed plain unhappy every time we spoke to her) wanted to argue with me that the price of parking was in fact 22 Euros per day instead of the advertised 18 Euros. Parking is a block away in a run down building. While secure, it is very tight and difficult to maneuver in and out of with anything other than a tiny car.
There are no ice machines. When we asked for ice at the front desk, we were given ice cubes one CUP at a time until we asked for an actual bucket finally.
As you can see in the picture of the view, we were on the back side of the building so we had no issues with noise at all. It is difficult to find and took us almost 30 minutes after coming out of the train station. Once you come out of the station, you have to go immediately down a set of stairs to go under the station, then up to the right and paying attention to the change in street name.

Room Tip: If you are determined to stay there despite my review, ask for the room with a terrace.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Bellmore, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Location - terrible. While you can't see the train station or the main roadway from the pool....boy can you ever hear it. When we were there from 7/15/12 - 7/20/12, there was construction in the surrounding area. Was not nice to walk around. I felt like I was staying on 8th Avenue in Manhattan.

Front Desk - OK. Nothing to write home about.

Rooms - old. We had 2 rooms which were extremely small. The mattress in my room must have been 15+ years old. My husband and I felt the springs and rolled into the center. My children had 2 twin beds and the mattresses were much better. Bathroom seemed to be more updated than the furniture, but also small. We had a tub (my children had a stand alone shower stall - no tub) and only a handheld shower head. A little difficult to shower!

Breakfast - staff in the restaurant were very nice and friendly. Buffet was OK....scrambled eggs were mushy....I was the only one who ate them. My husband, 20 year old son and 17 year old daughter passed on the eggs. Same spread every morning.

Pool - best part of hotel (except for the noise from the nearby traffic and trains). Bring a pool towel with you or the hotel will charge you 4 euros to rent one. We flew from NY and tried to pack light. I thought that if a hotel had a pool, they would provide pool towels.....silly me.

NO free WiFi! Are they kidding me in this day and age? They rent it to you by the hour or by the day.

The hotel does participate in a beach location. Make your reservations early as this hotel is not the only one that participates in this particular beach. It cost us 10 euro per person for the day because we were associated with the hotel. Otherwise, I think it was 20 euro per person for the day (16 euro for 1/2 day). The beach had free WiFi!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
heware, Directeur général at Golden Tulip Cannes Hotel de Paris, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Dear Madam Emmett,
We are very sorry if you were not satisfied with you bedrooms. (146)
Actually, we have few comments like yours, thanks god. And of course, we were very surprised to read this comments because you have never show up at the reception to tell your feelings about your stay. If I knew this before, I would have asked the reception to move you in another room. We are not used to let an unhappy customer in the hotel.
I am pretty certain that the entire standard in the US are different .like for instance the pressure in the shower tabs is not the same. The Europeans stipulations are different too.
In Europe, the food is different too, we’ve never had such a bad comment regarding our scramble eggs; I guess the taste in NY should be different too.
We are obviously very sorry to hear your write about us.
As for your reservation, you have found room accommodation through Miki Travel for a standard room.
For the price you’ve paid you couldn’t be in a superior, or in a junior duplex or suite room. Your booking was for standard rooms
Our entire bedrooms are differently decorated in the hotel.
You have to know also that for the price you’ve paid, you have supplement for:
The beach
Towels to the beach or pool
WIFI
Anything you wish is in extra.
For superior rooms, duplex or suites, wifi and towels are included.
It is something usual everywhere on the French Riviera. There is nothing to be surprised with.
I though in the US, you have to pay in supplement for everything too. I’ve been to NYC and I‘ve made my own experience there.
We have 50 rooms and we rent our bedrooms every day, and we never had such violent comment. It is why I have taken some time to answer you.
We have the deadline to close the hotel end 2013 to remodel our entire establishment. We hope to surprise our clients. We hope that you‘ll be lovely surprise too.
Best regards.
Sandrine.L.
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

Rather anonymous tourist hotel directly next to the Boulevard d'Alsace, Cannes' major thoroughfare (the situation can be well seen by entering the hotel's address on google maps streetview).

Rooms are well insulated against street noise, but less well against neighbouring rooms. OK standard hotel rooms with efficient AC and comfortable beds, with the exception of rooms on the top floor with very low ceiling. Hotel is decorated in a kitschy medieval style including knight's armours in the staircase, takes some getting used to. Nice swimming pool in the garden, however with some noise from the street. Breakfast buffet leaves little to be desired, some fresh vegetables would be nice. Many guests from Netherlands/northern Europe and on package vacation.

10 mins by foot to the Croisette, very close to train station. Private Rado beach at Croisette costs 10 EUR/person/day for hotel guests.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel is well-appointed, walking distance to the promenade. It's kept in an old-fashioned style. First of all we were misled by the list of amenities listed in their international website, like a gym etc. There is none. There is a lovely outdoor swimming pool though.
We got an attic room which was quite beautiful but so tiny. We had a balcony, unfortunately the view wasn't the greatest.
The service at the reception really varied. A very helpful man, however an older woman was cold and unhelpful.
Breakfast was OK, nothing too special.
A nice, well-kept hotel that can be a good place for a city-break, not a longer vacation.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Tulip Cannes Hotel de Paris? Share your experiences!