“Le Don Juan - stylish restauranti in Vieil Antibes - terrible service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Le Don Juan

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Bologna, Italy
“Le Don Juan - stylish restauranti in Vieil Antibes - terrible service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This restaurant is in an attractive location on the corner and looks very inspiring when you walk past. We had dinner here twice and the first time we enjoyed it, but the second time we had to ask seven times over a period of about 20 minutes before they could be bothered to bring us some water. Then they took an order for the fish specified on the menu but then some time later another waiter came and reproached us for ordering a dish for one that was only supposed to be for two, as if we had tried to trick them or something. The whole meal was a disappointment and the service was terrible. We will not be back.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Boston, Massachusetts
“Excellent Fish Restaurant with Organic Vegetables”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the new chef "Florent", believes in cooking only fresh ingredients (his fish comes daily from the port of Sète) and there are no freezers or microwave ovens in his restaurant. He is very creative in bringing out the flavor of the fresh food, without heavy sauces. The desserts are also heavenly. It's a family business, and the service is both professional and warm. Great find at very good prices.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“watch out for the price of fish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

At first appearances, it's a nice enough restaurant specialising in seafood in a bustling corner location - ideal for people watching. However the major downside is that price charged for seafood is extremely high given that this is not a fine-dining restaurant.

If you are going for fish - please check with the waiter how much you will be charged (as they charge you for the weight of the fish before it is cooked) otherwise you will end up with a big shock.

At the end of the meal I was presented with my bill including €90 for two very small fish but with no breakdown for the individual weights of both fish pre-cooking.

As for the food itself - I had deep-fried courgette flowers. Heavily coated in batter and with no discernible flavour. My main was a small turbot - filleted ( I got three so not sure what happened to the fourth) but not entirely free of pin bones which at that price it should be. It came plainly grilled and a touch overcooked which is a shame for any fish. No great skill and not impressed.

• Visited September 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
cheltenham
“All show and no substance”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

This restaurant is located in the old part of town situated on pedestrian crossroads with small tables and white linen tablecloths outside. It looks the business and charges top end prices. However the food is a different matter! First of all the wine list is extremely expensive...Buyer beware!! We also ordered a small bottle of Badoit which cost 6€ !!
Fresh bread was delivered to the table. My wife ordered a friture de poisson - basically floured fried whitebait - very unappetizing- my wife left most of it as she had already decided that this place was not for her. I had the stir fried squid cooked with garlic. The squid arrived and I tasted it and realized it had not been tenderized and was overcooked- it was very chewy. This one poor squid was served on a slice of tomato some olive oil, a hint of garlic and chopped basil and parsley. It was possible to have this dish as a main course and I was lucky that I only opted for the starter course. The waiter then arrived with fresher bread as he said that our other bread wasnt fresh enough! My wife decided that she did not want another course. I had already ordered the Entrecote which was served with ratatouille served in a copper pan which was very oily and mushy! The nadir of the meal was the three starring chips served with the entrecote! I decided to deconstruct these chips and I established that they were polenta crusted and inside this was aubergine puree!!! I did remark to my wife that there had been some work gone into these chips ...to little avail as they tasted revolting and remained on my plate. I think the chef should give up on this as it does not work. By the time the pudding menu arrived it was a 'Non, merci' all round! In conclusion this place should definately be avoided. For 2 starters, one main course and one bottle of wine and a small bottle of water the bill came to 89€ !!! Just towards the end of the meal to rub salt into the wounds some street busker decided to set up shop right by the restaurant and his music was as bad as the food we had just eaten! We paid with cash and the waiter remarked ' I like cash' ! The worst meal by far of our holiday!

• Visited August 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“DON´T GO FOR THE RISOTTO WITH GAMBAS....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

Looking forward to Risotto with Gambas I was extremely disappointed. 27€ for 3 shrimps and a small portion of risotto was NOT worth it. My friends had the set menu and were not impressed. OK, but not too exiting food.

Our experience weren´t improved by having to ask four times for the check, and waiting even longer to pay…..

• Visited July 2011