“Practically Perfect in Every Way!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thames Residence Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avignon
Thames Residence Hotel
You added Thames Residence Hotel to your Saves list
36 bd Saint Roch, 84000 Avignon, France   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 69 Hotels in Avignon
Washington DC
“Practically Perfect in Every Way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Yes, the other reviews are true--this is a wonderful place to stay in Avignon. Philippe is a warm and welcoming host, and his information about our room features as well as advice about what to see in the area was so very helpful. He truly sets a high standard for hospitality and kindness to weary travelers! Our little apartment was just right for our mother-daughter duo, consisting of : a living room with comfortable sofa, chair, coffee table, shelving and TV, small galley kitchen tucked into a closet with refrigerator, cooktop, dishwasher, and everything needed for preparing meals, small dining table and chairs for two, bedroom with very comfortable bed, and a very nice bathroom. Everything was clean, thoughtfully decorated, updated,and well taken care of, with lots of features to ensure the comfort of guests, such as fluffy bathrobes and slippers, a great little Nespresso coffee machine, decent WiFi, and a phone with free international calls. Directly outside our living room was a small sheltered terrace with table and chairs, very nice for sitting. The location of the hotel is fantastic, right across the street from the walls of the old city of Avignon; we could walk into the city within minutes. Car parking was conveniently located directly underneath the building, with access to the hotel from the garage. (Just make sure to book parking when you make your room reservation.) So what was not perfect about this place? Only that we did not stay long enough! Thames Residence Hotel was, hands-down, the best place we stayed in during our 9 day visit to France. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Our room was south-facing, away from the main road and the city walls. We could hear some traffic...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you very much Marion and Ben for taking time for writing a review about your trip in france and all marvelous you visited. All my team and myself (and my labrador female dog too) are very honored that our hotel was the best place during your travel in France. We will hope that more and more hotels welcoming guests will be more and more efficient, giving the best they can to their guests when they are in ! There are so many places which look nice, where people promise lot of think and services, and when guests arrived, there is nothing anymore, spoiling holidays of their guests ! We hope all this will change in the future and that all hotels giving the best they can will be recognized as the best ones ! And Tripadvisor will contribute to this I hope for a long time, giving all travellers the way of sharing their good and even bad experiences. So, thank you very much again for your nice review and I hope it will be very usefull for all other travellers who will read your reviews and thank you too for your help for making the best choice of hotels !

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a pleasant hotel, clean and comfortable, though perhaps lacking charm and style. Philipe is quite knowledgeable about the city. This is a good place to stay during the wonderful theater festival. There is a small outdoor pool, nice to cool off when temperatures hit 36°, as they have this July.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ramparts have a better view but are noisier.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2014
Thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with other travelers. I just saw today that the answer I wrote following your review last July was rejected by Tripadvisor in July ! Staying during the Avignon theater festival isn't the same of course that staying at the Cannes festival, with all the luxurious hotels you might find on the Riviera ! It isn't the same public, it isn't the same guests, it isn't the same stars, it isn't the same luxurious hotels and palaces ! In Avignon, there are only 2 five stars hotels and 5 four stars hotels, and compared to the Riviera, more than 100 five stars hotels between Saint Tropez and Monaco, and 300 four stars hotels ! So, I agree totally with you, it is totally different staying in a palace there for 3000 euros per night and staying in a palace too in Avignon for only 800 euros per night ! Same for 4 stars hotels like us, Grand Hotel, Novotel, Hotel de l'Horloge and hotel des Frenes ! But leaving our passion to welcome all guests, you get all our facilities, services and recommendations like all our guests ! So, I hope you had nice time in Saint Tropez and Cannes last July ! And feel free to call me when driving in south again and we will try making you forgot the 2 nights you spent here last July too !
Best regards
Philippe
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We travelled as a family of four, and while compact, the rooms were clean and well appointed. Philippe, the manager, is very helpful: my two young children loved his suggestion to visit Haribo's (a confectionary museum) and the adults appreciated his advice on the local wine. It is a great base for day trips in Provence. Having free international calls was handy: we called Australia during one of the World Cup matches. I found this place on TripAdvisor and I would happily recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Suzanne,
I am really happy having news from you and all your family ! The flight to Australia is so long trip that lot our guests from Australia, New Zealand, and Asia stay generally more than 10 days in Europe, most of them 2 or 3 weeks in Europe, that I am very worried about them since yesterday ! Yes, we love our guests too, even if we don't write it often ! They loved Provence, they loved Avignon, they loved their stay with us, but we, al the team and I and my female labrador too, we love our guests, all of them and we love your family ! You certainly heard about all news about the Malaysian plane shot down by a russian missile sent by the ukraine separatists and so many people died on this flight ! Therefore, I try to contact all our guests staying with us since 3 weeks ago for having good news from them, guests from Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, SIngapore and Jakarta ! I hope they all are in good shape with their family ! I am very anger to see that some people can shot down a plane with a missile in their hands given by russian crazy army people who wants to light on crisis in Europe like they did it on June 28th 1914, 100 years ago, killing the Archiduc in Sarajevo ! Russia is doing a bad choice helping all these kind of problem we heard, taking Krimee, helpinh Syria, and so many other unbelievable countries ! Hopefully, you are in good health and I hope all your family and friends too ! Thank you again for staying with us, thank you for having written a so nice review, and I hope to welcome you again in the future when "the world will be a little bit less crazy" ! Let me have a warm think for all families affected by this horrible war crime, all these families crying their lost relatives, all these families crying their anger in silence ! God bless them all !
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Phillipe the anfitrion, was very kind with us, worried about details, like our wedding anniversary date, with distinction and kindness. Our stay was way better than i thought. The only trouble we had was the internet connection. The room was big enough for our family. If im back to avignon, dont doubt going again to Thames. Congratulations for the way you treat the clients, it was wonderful!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Paulina,
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Provence ! Thank you also for your nice review about Thames ! According your mention about the wifi network you couldn't get with your BlackBerry phone, I will have to remind first, that each suite, each apartment at Thames Resort Hotel has its own private and secure wifi network, network with its own password, and second, that I certainly didn't insist so far saying that the password has to be written as it has to be, figures as figures, small letters as small letters, capital letters as capital letters ! If there is any change in one small letter instead a capital letter, you would never go through and will have trouble to get in ! For such trouble to any other need of help or assistance, I am here 24/7, and for resolvin such problem, all our guests has my personal mobile phone for contacting me, anytime, 24 hours a day and 7 days a week ! It is easier for me resolving such trouble of password ! Having a real nice internet access is a basic service to provide and I am really sorry, you didn't have it with your BlackBerry mobile phone ! I am confused I didn't convinced you letting me know this trouble before the day you left ! For your next stay with us, I will make sure you get the connection on your BlackBerry phone !
Waiting for welcoming you again in Provence,
Taichung, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

Good location, near bus stop and Main Street. You can enjoy in five star hotel environment but cheaper room fee., Nice reception, Warm room, I really like the hotel. The manager always provide the best information, free telephone, nice kitchen. He provide the Nexpress cafe, that's very good.

• Stayed June 2014
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear Vivi,
Thank you very much for your review about your stay with us ! Perfect means top hotel and I think that is the combination of a good location, nice and warm suites, nice services, nice welcoming which make it great ! I hope lot of other hotels will get same reviews like this ! You were surprised having Nespresso machine in your suite and since more than one year, we offer Nespresso every day to our guests, not only one time when you bought 100 dosen like at the Nespresso shops ! And George Clooney, the ambassador of Nespresso in Europe and Asia will still say : What else ? I will answer George we offer finest ceulan and Earl grey tea to our guests too ! They will have their Nespresso after lunch or diner, their tea at 5PM ! What else ? will ask George again ? be patient and wait a little bit ! We offer Nespresso dozen last year for January and made it every day since this time and still today ! But today, you get some wonderful tea too ! More services, more facilities, more and more !
Thank you Vivi for letting travellers know about Nespresso nd from now, for the tea ! Waiting for welcoming all of you again in Provence !
Cheers !
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We decided to stay at the Thames Residence purely based on the reviews on Trip Advisor and can happily report back that this is indeed a great place to base yourself in Avignon especially if you have a car (parking available with lifts right up to rooms) . We stayed a week.
Philippe is an excellent concierge, truly brilliant. Spent quite a while letting us know where to go, what to do to get the best out of the region in such a short space of time and he was excellent with his restaurant choices (has great taste). It would be good to have a ‘Philippe’ where ever you go on holiday. He knows the area really well and has thought of everything his guests would require and as such really manages the apart hotel well. I would definitely stay here again and have no problems recommending it all to you.

If you are looking for any downsides to this place (all trivial in my opinion) then the only things I would mention are:-
- the kitchenette area is small and compact given the space available. Ideal only for making breakfast. But ask yourself why bother cooking when there are 82 restaurants to choose from in Avignon.
-Our room had a nice terrace overlooking the ancient wall, but as hotel is on a main road, it was noisy. Didn't stop us using it though and made the most of it weather permitting. Note you cannot hear noise once the doors are shut.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Dear Nita,
Thank you first for staying with us, thank you for your choice of Thames for the week you spent for discovering west part of Provence ! I am happy for you and your sisters because you discover a wonderful area not far away from London ! Now, you know where to come back to get another wonderful experiences tasting wonderful food, wines, restaurants and so nice area to loose the stress working so hard ! There are so many restaurants you have to taste for your next stops with us (more than 300 only in Avignon city, but not all of them memorable of course, but nice ones ) !
I am pleased to introduce our guests to the best places and your review invite me again to speak about breakfast ! People visiting Avignon have a look on room rate most of the time, and when you read some reviews, unfortunately most of them are disappointed by breakfast. There are many places with wonderful breakfasts of course, even wonderful brunches ! But 26 euros for a brunch isn't it too expensive ? A usual buffet breakfast for 15 euros isn't it too expensive ? When you have a dinner menu at a Michelin level restaurant like Hiely Lucullus for only 31 euros, or 32 euros at L'Essentiel or le Diapason, the cost of the 2 breakfasts can be forgotten and spend in wonderful menus at Michelin classified restaurants, that is a better way for saving money and spending it for really nice deals ? Having one of the best bakery in Avignon, the Carré de Blé, 80 meters only from our position, what another bonus for all guests who like nice breads and rolls, almont croissants and nice pastries, lot of our guests know now howto discover Michelin restaurants saving money on their breakfasts ! But, they still made their onw breakfasts and you can confirm, we have now since more than 6 months the toasters so many of you were asking for, toasters with an extinguisher in the nearest of course ! So, thank you Nita for giving me the opportunity to explain how discovering Michelin restaurants in Avignon and all around without throwing money out of the windows !
Thank you agin Nita for staying with us and I will be pleased to welcome you agin in the future !
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

Great service provided by Phillipe with the booking process and info whilst onsite. An excellent location opposite the walled City with its many attractions and charm. The accommodation itself whilst not the most modern, is very comfortable, spacious, clean, neat and tidy with the balcony a bonus for just sitting around or enjoying a home prepared meal. Having free international telephone calls quite remarkable! Being so close to the Train Station an added bonus.

Room Tip: Room with a Balcony overlooking the walled City
Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, thank you for taking time to write about Thames and its great location, great situation because there is so many people who don't understand where we are situated ! When people have a look to the city map, they don't realize that from the bottom of the main street, Republique street, to the top of the city at the opposite millennium walls there is only half a mile, 820 meters, not one or two kilometers ! Republique street starting in front of the old central train station is only 0,28 miles, not even a third of one mile ! So, lot of people can be affraid not having the good sizes mentioned on Google but when they stay in Avignon, every thing is clear and everyone is really impressed by the location, situation of Thames Residence Hotel and apartments so next to every thing ! 82 restaurants and bars less than half a mile, and 120 less than one mile ! Hopefully, Avignon and suburb has more than 300 bars and restaurants for all people visiting the area and a lot of them, really fantastic ! Avignon, Capitale for the Cotes du Rhone like the beautiful Chateauneuf du Pape and Gigondas wines and so many other ones too, an exceptional wines' area is also one of the best one for all food, vegetable, fruits and so many other "saveurs" which make its reputation ! Eight of the ten best Michelin guide selected restaurants are less than 0,4 mile from Thames, 14 restaurants of the 15 first ones selected by Tripadvisor travellers are less than 0,4 mile from Thames ! Great place, great location, only 0,5 mile from the permanent covered provencal market les Halles, less than 100 meters from the old central regional train station, less than 100 meters from the inter cities busses main station, less than 100 meters from the main taxis departure station, less than 100 meters from the central main post office, less than 200 meters from the tourism office. What else ? Like Michelle did it, if you want your stay discovering lot of bonus, you found the place to stay !

Been to Thames Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!