“Very comfortable accommodations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thames Residence Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avignon
Thames Residence Hotel
36 bd Saint Roch, 84000 Avignon, France   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 69 hotels in Avignon
Nanuet
“Very comfortable accommodations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Thames Residence for 3 nights in early March and we thought the accommodations were first rate. Philippe was there to great us at about 11 AM and showed us to our room. It had a great sitting area, a kitchen (which we did not use), a very comfortable bedroom and a really nice bath. Philippe had all types of information about the surrounding area for us. The location was great. 2 minute walk to the city Avignon train station and accross the street from where the TVG shuttle drops you off. It was a short and very pleasant 10 minute walk into town

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
PHILIPPE D, Directeur général at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
I thank you very much for taking time for leaving your comments on tripadvisor for sharing your satisfaction with all tripadvisor community ! We will be pleased and happy to welcome you again in the future for summer season, or the one which is marvelous, from september to november with the "indian summer" and the grapes harvest" in the Chateauneuf du Pape area or the "rosé de provence" area !

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We are a family of 8 and we had 2 double rooms and a quadruple room. The residence (part of grand hotel) was perfected located beside the Avignon city train station (3 mins walk). As mentioned by all, Philippe was very informative and helpful and provided lots of informations promptly (by emails). The rooms were very spacious, clean and very well furnished and come with a balcony. Toilet area was spacious even though it had the bath tub and also an enclosed showering area and another sink area.

Was very impressive with the free Internet service which also enable you to make internet call any landlines to any part of the world ( very similar to Skype but on a handset). Also the numerous tv channels available.

Will definitely come back again if set foot at Avignon.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

I can only back up some of the previous comments. Philippe, the manager, is a real pleasure to deal with. He was very kind and helpful. The place itself was great. Everything clean and fresh and with all the things one needs.

It was strange though that the Thames apartments share the same building as the Grand Hotel in Avignon. Philippe asked me to meet him at the hotel reception, but since he was not there I when I arrived I asked at the reception and they told me they don't know anything about Thames Apartments or Philippe. Instead they tried to sell me one of their rooms. Luckily I called Philippe and he was there in a minute, since his office is basically just next to the entrance hall. So in the end all worked out.

P.S. I don't recommend taking a room at the Grand Hotel. From the looks of it, it really has seen better days.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
It's the first time we had such problem with Grand Hotel reception, but we can understand the situation when welcoming is done by trainees who don't already know exactly what to do ! We don't have such problem of course, Philippe answer all mails and welcome personally all guests staying in Avignon ! He like so much his "job" that it isn't a job anymore, it is a pleasure, a way of life for welcoming guests like friends in a wonderful city and area ! Philippe and his female labrador Falbala welcome also lot of guests traveling with dogs too, and much more traveling with children ! So, welcoming guests with labrador like you, was a wonderful moment for Philippe and Falbala too ! ANd we hope to welcome you during summertime, when dog can play and swim in the river Rhone in the nearest of Thames Residence, or under the aqueduc Pont du Gard which is the "must " for dogs making canyoning and boat 20 minutes from Thames Residence ! So, feel free to come back with your dog !
Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I hate to be the dissenting voice amongst five-star reviews, especially for the fact that Philippe, the manager, is a real pleasure to deal with. We found him very helpful both before check-in and during the stay. The residences themselves are clean and well-located just outside the walls of Avignon and underground parking can easily be arranged prior to check in for a discounted rate. They are well designed, with lots of neat space-saving features especially in the kitchenette which is surprisingly functional. Wi-fi is free and fast for all your devices. We found a few things needed fixing up, namely the bed which was uncomfortably firm with palpable springs, and the TV channels which were hard to navigate on the bedroom 'Internet' TV with reputedly hundreds of channels, but most of which were greyed out and asking for additional subscription. We could not find any English language entertainment options (only news channels) despite a bit of searching! We only stayed a couple of nights so didn't bother to ask about whether this was situation normal. Overall, I would still recommend this for a good value, central stay in Avignon, especially if driving and for the care and assistance of Philippe!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PHILIPPE D, Manager at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review ! Unfortunately, I do not sleep in the apartments we propose but we couldn't leave the situation like this ! Not because you said the mattress was too firm because most guests prefer to have firm mattress, it is better for the spine ! Firm would be ok, too firm is too much ! Therefore, we changed it today, November 23rd and we didn't wait to have other comments like that. We take care about what you think, what you say, what you wish. Anyway, I know through my long experience in 4 and 5 stars hotels all around the world that every one has another opinion about mattress. Waterbed, firm, soft ! DId you know that there is more thant 1000 king of mattress ? So, like wine, like food, some guest appreciate our mattress well, other one think something has to be improved !We made it ! We made it only because you spoke about springs and it was enough ! Anyway, some of our guests from Japan asked for woodenboard to be installed below the mattress because they stay long time and want a very very firm mattress ! I wouldn't be able to sleep well this way, but we respect the wishes of our guests and when we can make it, we make it ! I appreciate also that you found all the other services proposed like top. For the internet tv with its 600 channels, of course it need to be show and that is why I personally take all the time to show your apartment when arriving ! But you had 2 other usual flat screens with 52 channels with 22 in french language and all the other ones in foreigner languages ! For the internet tv, there are 180 totaly free and 420 with small payments ! For your next stop with us, I will take time to show you how it is working ! Internet tv is totally unusual services provided in hotel business in France because it cost a lot to provide "boxes" with 600 channels to people ! You kno, I think we are the only one in France to propose individual internet box in each room and apartment, yes, the only one ! Some palaces propose it in their suites and penthouse, we do it in each apartment ! More and more people in France have box at home and they know how it is working. That is why I propose to show it to every guest when arriving ! Finally, I am pleased to say that we will every time take care about your reviews and opinions and wish you will appreciate it better next time ! We cannot have only 5 stars reviews because other guests would consider there is something wrong ! We are only human and sometimes, we get a 4 stars review ! We accept it also !
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We found this apartment on Tripadvisor. It was perfect for the 3 of us (my husband, my 20-year-old daughter and I). We had a livingroom with and a bedroom each with a double bed. The kitchenette was small but everything to cook our own meals was there.
The apartment has a big, shared balcony with a table and chairs for each apartment and it was lovely sitting there. It is just outside the city walls, a 5 minute walk to the train and bus station, a couple of minutes further to the baker, the butcher and the supermarket.
We were in Avignon during the theaterfestival and that was a fantastic experience.
We visited the Mont Ventoux, Arles, Orange and the Pont du Gard.
We also did a kayak tour on the river Gard : highly recommended !
Philippe is a great host and gave us all the information we asked for and more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Sorry for taking so long time to thank you for sharing your experience with all tripadvisor's travellers.
because you love France, because you love Provence, because you love Avignon, because all this love you give to our marvellous area of Provence, all of us will try to give you more for your next stay here through tasting new wines, eating new specialities, visiting new places and museums, and, may be, discovering the secreet of some well know chiefs sharing cooking lesson with them !
Your next stay will be much more exciting and fascinating sharing this new experience of cooking with your husband and daughter !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The apartment hotel is fabulous, we had a room facing the main city walls; it is convenient, within 15 mins walk to most locations and right next to the central train station. The apartment has a large living room and a bedroom, with a large balcony. Philippe is just great, warm and extremely friendly and helpful. There is an IP phone from which you can call home to any landline free! I will recommend this place to anyone! By the way food in Avignon is too good to miss!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,
Sorry for the delay for thanking you for your review ! provence is a lovely destination for honeymooners like other "paradise" destinations and it will be certainly a good souvenir you would like to celebrate again after one, two or three years, may be four, but don't forget to celebrate it all you live ! And each time, you will remember the nice stay you made here and I hope so welcoming you in the future ! We already have UK honeymooners who comes every year for discovering Provence and taking time for being 2 in a nice environment ! So, feel free to plan a coton celebration (one year married !), october is so wonderful in Provence !
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Based on excellent reviews here, I booked an apartment with Thames Residence to use as a base to explore Provence last week, and it did not disappoint! I'll list the pros and cons (very few) below, but here was the key for me: after a long day of walking around and exploring, having a wonderful, warm and cozy place to come back to is priceless. And Thames was such a place.

Pro:
1. Philippe (the manager): even before I arrived, he sent multiple follow-up emails to make sure I had all the info I needed. Then when I got there, he walked me through everything in the most friendly, professional, and thorough way possible. When it started raining, he knew I didn't have an umbrella so called my room to offer to lend me his. When I got home late in the evening, he was always still in the office and available to help.
*One of the keys is that compared with big hotels that have hundreds of guests, Thames has 9 apartment units - thus you can rest assured that Philippe will always give you the personal attention that the others cannot!

2. The apartment itself - everything as advertised: clean, spacious, elegant, cozy, plenty of natural light that brightens up the apartment. The only suggestion I would make would be to ask for a room that faces the city. The one I had faced some buildings, behind which was the train tracks. But honestly, the place was so nice, and I wasn't home during the day anyway, it didn't make much of a difference to me.

3. Location - it's not actually 5 minutes walk from the train station, it's more like 1 minute. It's also right outside the city walls and 2-3 minute walk from the main boulevard. At the same time, you feel like you're "tucked away", hidden from the crowd and noise on the other side of the city walls, all the while being so close to everything. Perfect location.

4. Price - consider the fact that it's part of the Grand Hotel, a luxury establishment with excellent facilities which you CAN access, and the apartments are bigger than the rooms... yet you are paying less than HALF to 1/3 the price of actual Grand Hotel rooms... I'd say it's a good deal.

Cons:
- Only the fact that I got a room facing the back. But like I said, it's peanuts compared to the long list of major positives.

In other words - BOOK THIS PLACE if you are going to Avignon. Period. Once you're sitting on its large balcony on a perfect Provence morning, sipping coffee and contemplating the excitement of the day to come, you'll smile knowing you made the right choice.

Room Tip: Pick a front-facing room! Although the back rooms are still really quiet, other than the occasional...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
It is never to late for thanking a guest, and I am really sorry for not having made it before. So, thank you very much for sharing your experience with all travellers of Tripadvisor. I realize today that many people read your review and it is really interesting to see haw travellers take their informations ! I have to give the precision following that all two rooms'apartments are totally similar about the space area, bathroom, equipments, services proposed like free in room 24/7 private and secure internet access, free, private and secure 24/7 wifi too, VOIP phone calls system, etc... Main differences are expositions, with terrace on north exposure with the beautiful view to the millennium walls and the old city which is really nice of course, but apartments on south exposure with the 12 square meters (130 foot²) balcony are much more appreciated by most people from north of our planet because like they say, they will contemplate the city walls and the medieval city during daytime ! Most appreciated, is comfort of the apartment, air conditioning in summer and efficient heater with the sun in winter, all without noise, and much other things too ! So, thank you aggain for delivering your wonderful message about our apartments and I think, you gave a lot of interest to many people for going spending a few days in Provence and for all you done "indirectly", we all have to thank you again ! Thank you !

Been to Thames Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!