Based on excellent reviews here, I booked an apartment with Thames Residence to use as a base to explore Provence last week, and it did not disappoint! I'll list the pros and cons (very few) below, but here was the key for me: after a long day of walking around and exploring, having a wonderful, warm and cozy place to come back to is priceless. And Thames was such a place.
1. Philippe (the manager): even before I arrived, he sent multiple follow-up emails to make sure I had all the info I needed. Then when I got there, he walked me through everything in the most friendly, professional, and thorough way possible. When it started raining, he knew I didn't have an umbrella so called my room to offer to lend me his. When I got home late in the evening, he was always still in the office and available to help.
*One of the keys is that compared with big hotels that have hundreds of guests, Thames has 9 apartment units - thus you can rest assured that Philippe will always give you the personal attention that the others cannot!
2. The apartment itself - everything as advertised: clean, spacious, elegant, cozy, plenty of natural light that brightens up the apartment. The only suggestion I would make would be to ask for a room that faces the city. The one I had faced some buildings, behind which was the train tracks. But honestly, the place was so nice, and I wasn't home during the day anyway, it didn't make much of a difference to me.
3. Location - it's not actually 5 minutes walk from the train station, it's more like 1 minute. It's also right outside the city walls and 2-3 minute walk from the main boulevard. At the same time, you feel like you're "tucked away", hidden from the crowd and noise on the other side of the city walls, all the while being so close to everything. Perfect location.
4. Price - consider the fact that it's part of the Grand Hotel, a luxury establishment with excellent facilities which you CAN access, and the apartments are bigger than the rooms... yet you are paying less than HALF to 1/3 the price of actual Grand Hotel rooms... I'd say it's a good deal.
- Only the fact that I got a room facing the back. But like I said, it's peanuts compared to the long list of major positives.
In other words - BOOK THIS PLACE if you are going to Avignon. Period. Once you're sitting on its large balcony on a perfect Provence morning, sipping coffee and contemplating the excitement of the day to come, you'll smile knowing you made the right choice.
Pick a front-facing room! Although the back rooms are still really quiet, other than the occasional...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Report response as inappropriate
It is never to late for thanking a guest, and I am really sorry for not having made it before. So, thank you very much for sharing your experience with all travellers of Tripadvisor. I realize today that many people read your review and it is really interesting to see haw travellers take their informations ! I have to give the precision following that all two rooms'apartments are totally similar about the space area, bathroom, equipments, services proposed like free in room 24/7 private and secure internet access, free, private and secure 24/7 wifi too, VOIP phone calls system, etc... Main differences are expositions, with terrace on north exposure with the beautiful view to the millennium walls and the old city which is really nice of course, but apartments on south exposure with the 12 square meters (130 foot²) balcony are much more appreciated by most people from north of our planet because like they say, they will contemplate the city walls and the medieval city during daytime ! Most appreciated, is comfort of the apartment, air conditioning in summer and efficient heater with the sun in winter, all without noise, and much other things too ! So, thank you aggain for delivering your wonderful message about our apartments and I think, you gave a lot of interest to many people for going spending a few days in Provence and for all you done "indirectly", we all have to thank you again ! Thank you !
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.