“Some improvement needed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thames Residence Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Avignon
Thames Residence Hotel
36 bd Saint Roch, 84000 Avignon, France   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 69 hotels in Avignon
Brisbane
“Some improvement needed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I hate to be the dissenting voice amongst five-star reviews, especially for the fact that Philippe, the manager, is a real pleasure to deal with. We found him very helpful both before check-in and during the stay. The residences themselves are clean and well-located just outside the walls of Avignon and underground parking can easily be arranged prior to check in for a discounted rate. They are well designed, with lots of neat space-saving features especially in the kitchenette which is surprisingly functional. Wi-fi is free and fast for all your devices. We found a few things needed fixing up, namely the bed which was uncomfortably firm with palpable springs, and the TV channels which were hard to navigate on the bedroom 'Internet' TV with reputedly hundreds of channels, but most of which were greyed out and asking for additional subscription. We could not find any English language entertainment options (only news channels) despite a bit of searching! We only stayed a couple of nights so didn't bother to ask about whether this was situation normal. Overall, I would still recommend this for a good value, central stay in Avignon, especially if driving and for the care and assistance of Philippe!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
PHILIPPE D, Manager at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review ! Unfortunately, I do not sleep in the apartments we propose but we couldn't leave the situation like this ! Not because you said the mattress was too firm because most guests prefer to have firm mattress, it is better for the spine ! Firm would be ok, too firm is too much ! Therefore, we changed it today, November 23rd and we didn't wait to have other comments like that. We take care about what you think, what you say, what you wish. Anyway, I know through my long experience in 4 and 5 stars hotels all around the world that every one has another opinion about mattress. Waterbed, firm, soft ! DId you know that there is more thant 1000 king of mattress ? So, like wine, like food, some guest appreciate our mattress well, other one think something has to be improved !We made it ! We made it only because you spoke about springs and it was enough ! Anyway, some of our guests from Japan asked for woodenboard to be installed below the mattress because they stay long time and want a very very firm mattress ! I wouldn't be able to sleep well this way, but we respect the wishes of our guests and when we can make it, we make it ! I appreciate also that you found all the other services proposed like top. For the internet tv with its 600 channels, of course it need to be show and that is why I personally take all the time to show your apartment when arriving ! But you had 2 other usual flat screens with 52 channels with 22 in french language and all the other ones in foreigner languages ! For the internet tv, there are 180 totaly free and 420 with small payments ! For your next stop with us, I will take time to show you how it is working ! Internet tv is totally unusual services provided in hotel business in France because it cost a lot to provide "boxes" with 600 channels to people ! You kno, I think we are the only one in France to propose individual internet box in each room and apartment, yes, the only one ! Some palaces propose it in their suites and penthouse, we do it in each apartment ! More and more people in France have box at home and they know how it is working. That is why I propose to show it to every guest when arriving ! Finally, I am pleased to say that we will every time take care about your reviews and opinions and wish you will appreciate it better next time ! We cannot have only 5 stars reviews because other guests would consider there is something wrong ! We are only human and sometimes, we get a 4 stars review ! We accept it also !

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Hasselt, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

We found this apartment on Tripadvisor. It was perfect for the 3 of us (my husband, my 20-year-old daughter and I). We had a livingroom with and a bedroom each with a double bed. The kitchenette was small but everything to cook our own meals was there.
The apartment has a big, shared balcony with a table and chairs for each apartment and it was lovely sitting there. It is just outside the city walls, a 5 minute walk to the train and bus station, a couple of minutes further to the baker, the butcher and the supermarket.
We were in Avignon during the theaterfestival and that was a fantastic experience.
We visited the Mont Ventoux, Arles, Orange and the Pont du Gard.
We also did a kayak tour on the river Gard : highly recommended !
Philippe is a great host and gave us all the information we asked for and more.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Dear Guest,
Sorry for taking so long time to thank you for sharing your experience with all tripadvisor's travellers.
because you love France, because you love Provence, because you love Avignon, because all this love you give to our marvellous area of Provence, all of us will try to give you more for your next stay here through tasting new wines, eating new specialities, visiting new places and museums, and, may be, discovering the secreet of some well know chiefs sharing cooking lesson with them !
Your next stay will be much more exciting and fascinating sharing this new experience of cooking with your husband and daughter !
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The apartment hotel is fabulous, we had a room facing the main city walls; it is convenient, within 15 mins walk to most locations and right next to the central train station. The apartment has a large living room and a bedroom, with a large balcony. Philippe is just great, warm and extremely friendly and helpful. There is an IP phone from which you can call home to any landline free! I will recommend this place to anyone! By the way food in Avignon is too good to miss!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,
Sorry for the delay for thanking you for your review ! provence is a lovely destination for honeymooners like other "paradise" destinations and it will be certainly a good souvenir you would like to celebrate again after one, two or three years, may be four, but don't forget to celebrate it all you live ! And each time, you will remember the nice stay you made here and I hope so welcoming you in the future ! We already have UK honeymooners who comes every year for discovering Provence and taking time for being 2 in a nice environment ! So, feel free to plan a coton celebration (one year married !), october is so wonderful in Provence !
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Based on excellent reviews here, I booked an apartment with Thames Residence to use as a base to explore Provence last week, and it did not disappoint! I'll list the pros and cons (very few) below, but here was the key for me: after a long day of walking around and exploring, having a wonderful, warm and cozy place to come back to is priceless. And Thames was such a place.

Pro:
1. Philippe (the manager): even before I arrived, he sent multiple follow-up emails to make sure I had all the info I needed. Then when I got there, he walked me through everything in the most friendly, professional, and thorough way possible. When it started raining, he knew I didn't have an umbrella so called my room to offer to lend me his. When I got home late in the evening, he was always still in the office and available to help.
*One of the keys is that compared with big hotels that have hundreds of guests, Thames has 9 apartment units - thus you can rest assured that Philippe will always give you the personal attention that the others cannot!

2. The apartment itself - everything as advertised: clean, spacious, elegant, cozy, plenty of natural light that brightens up the apartment. The only suggestion I would make would be to ask for a room that faces the city. The one I had faced some buildings, behind which was the train tracks. But honestly, the place was so nice, and I wasn't home during the day anyway, it didn't make much of a difference to me.

3. Location - it's not actually 5 minutes walk from the train station, it's more like 1 minute. It's also right outside the city walls and 2-3 minute walk from the main boulevard. At the same time, you feel like you're "tucked away", hidden from the crowd and noise on the other side of the city walls, all the while being so close to everything. Perfect location.

4. Price - consider the fact that it's part of the Grand Hotel, a luxury establishment with excellent facilities which you CAN access, and the apartments are bigger than the rooms... yet you are paying less than HALF to 1/3 the price of actual Grand Hotel rooms... I'd say it's a good deal.

Cons:
- Only the fact that I got a room facing the back. But like I said, it's peanuts compared to the long list of major positives.

In other words - BOOK THIS PLACE if you are going to Avignon. Period. Once you're sitting on its large balcony on a perfect Provence morning, sipping coffee and contemplating the excitement of the day to come, you'll smile knowing you made the right choice.

Room Tip: Pick a front-facing room! Although the back rooms are still really quiet, other than the occasional...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
It is never to late for thanking a guest, and I am really sorry for not having made it before. So, thank you very much for sharing your experience with all travellers of Tripadvisor. I realize today that many people read your review and it is really interesting to see haw travellers take their informations ! I have to give the precision following that all two rooms'apartments are totally similar about the space area, bathroom, equipments, services proposed like free in room 24/7 private and secure internet access, free, private and secure 24/7 wifi too, VOIP phone calls system, etc... Main differences are expositions, with terrace on north exposure with the beautiful view to the millennium walls and the old city which is really nice of course, but apartments on south exposure with the 12 square meters (130 foot²) balcony are much more appreciated by most people from north of our planet because like they say, they will contemplate the city walls and the medieval city during daytime ! Most appreciated, is comfort of the apartment, air conditioning in summer and efficient heater with the sun in winter, all without noise, and much other things too ! So, thank you aggain for delivering your wonderful message about our apartments and I think, you gave a lot of interest to many people for going spending a few days in Provence and for all you done "indirectly", we all have to thank you again ! Thank you !
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This is a perfect location as you are just outside the city walls and a 5 minute walk to the station.
The apartments were clean, spacious and really nicley decorated with a mini kitchenette and 2 tvs. Great views of the city walls and a nice terrace to sit out on in the evening... although beware of the mistral as it can get very windy indeed!
Philippe was extremely helpful and the rooms offered a skype like telephone which meant calls back to the UK were free!
The only down side was the pool as it was very small and you cannot swim as it is circular, other than that we had a great stay and would most definitley return to Thames Residence when back in Avignon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Manager at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I noted,"perfect location, clean, spacious, really nicely decorated, 2 tvs, great views, nice terrace, great stay", so what can we expect else more when booking an apartment with Thames ? Free and unlimited in room internet access, free and unlimited personal secure wireless internet network, phones calls from the apartments to mobiles and landlines to USA and Canada totally free and unlimited ? Who give more than we do ? And finally, we have to share with every one of you, the in room Nespresso mashine Oixie for making your last expresso nightly on the terrace, perfect ! The only thing I will remember, that is the conclusion which is helpful : we most definitively return to Thames Residence in Avignon !
And for the actual swimming pool shared with Grand Hotel on the roof and solariums, it is more for having fresh when to hot or for reading newspapers. There is a nice olympic swimming pool with a very nice restaurant called La Palmeraie 300 meters from Thames Residence ! Every guest is important and we make our best for giving you more than generally hoped !
May be, the new Christo penthouse will give you much more you can wait for, from aparthotels in Avignon and Provence we propose now in addition the other ones !
Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is a very good place to stay if you come to Avignon. We stayed in an apartment for 1 week. The apartment was very clean and spacios. The kitchenette was well equipped. Philippe, the manager was very friendly, helpful and easy to reach on phone. He speaks good english, gave us many tips about what to do in the region (we tried many of them and were statisfied) and also tips about good restaurants. The apartment was located inside the Grand hotel, but are managed by a different company, represented by Philippe. One of the best things about the apartment was the terrace with a view of the city walls. It was lovely to sit outside in the evenings (even though there was a bit of noise from the traffic on the street near the hotel). The location is perfect: near the railway station, near the buses to the TGV station and near the main street of the town. The Grand hotel has a small roof top pool which we used a few times. Our stay in Avignon was very rewarding and when we return, we will stay at Thames Residence again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
I have to thank you for having taking time to write a review on Tripadvisor last september 2012 !
Your review resume our situation and services like no other ones at this moment. I feel also really sorry for not thanking you before today ! I am really sorry and hope you will accept my apologizes. I hope for welcoming you again in the future and I will take time, when you will be here, to let you forget the delay for answering your review !
Best regards
Philippe
Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

First of all I want join many praises that other reviewers gave Philippe. Every hotel which wants to be successful should get a manger like this: super friendly, ready to help at any time and really going out of his way to make your stay as nice as possible.
As for the property it is everything that was promised: cozy, clean and has a great location few minutes walk awayf from the center. I preferred it this way since the center seemed a bit loud and hectic. Our apartment had a terrace with table and chairs which we used a lot sipping wine in the evening or having home cooked dinner. I would not say that you can count on making something extraordinary since kitchen facilities are quite limited (but 100 percent true to the description).
Beds are comfortable, and our room had both: A shower and a bathtub. Wi-fi connection was exceptional, also free of charge international calls to land lines are available in the room. I found this extremely helpful since had to be connected to the office for few days.
My family arrived by a TGV train from Paris. The station is a bit off the city center. Taking a taxi turned out to be confusing, so we went for a bus going to the central Post Office. It is a five minutes ride, and couple of minutes walk to the hotel. Tickets are available from the driver.
Good bio bakery is five minutes away, was not so impresses with the nearest supermarket Carefure, so instead bought a lot of produce visiting local markets around Avignon. It is cheaper and quality is better.
One last note: was traveling around Provence for almost two weeks, and have to say that Avignon is the best location to be based at. I found the transportation system as well as tourist agencies organizing all kinds of trips around the area, much more developed than in Aix or Arles.

Room Tip: We had room 168 and loved it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
PHILIPPE D, Responsable réception at Thames Residence Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Dear Polina,
Sorry for the delay for thanking you for the time you spent for writing a nice review about your stay in Avignon last year, in September. As you can see, I still know your first name ! You wrote a very nice review and gave us an excellent note ! Therefore, you contribute making us today number one in Avignon and I wanted to share this awards with you too ! So, many many thank from all of us, Thames Residence Hotel in Avignon ! And I still hope welcoming you in the future !
Best regards
Philippe

Been to Thames Residence Hotel? Share your experiences!