We stayed in the Kyriad Avignon for three nights in June 2013.
The hotel is pleasant and clean. It is reasonably modern, however, with abysmal Wi-Fi reception in the rooms it doesn't really service the modern traveller who requires Wi-Fi to plan the next day’s activities or to catch up with news from home via the internet. From having stayed at this hotel and having read a number of other people’s reviews of the hotel, my guess (only) is that, instead of making proper efforts to fix the wi-fi problem the staff are instructed to express surprise and to tell the guests that the wi-fi usually works in most parts of the hotel most of the time and that, perhaps, it’s just that your room (only) that must be experiencing temporary problems … an unfortunate anomaly. Well don’t believe it.
If you are arriving at the TGV station then don't catch a taxi to the hotel for a number of reasons. Firstly, even if you have a lot of luggage it is just as easy to get on the bus (right next to the taxi rank and get off at the first bus stop called 'Cortine' ... just ask the bus driver to stop there); and second, it is not fair on the cab driver to get him / her out of a cue that he / she has been waiting in for quite some time only to receive a very small fare. To overcome this problem the taxi driver will charge you a minimum of 10 euro to drive you a couple of blocks, which is fair enough.
The people at the hotel's reception were very friendly and helpful and willing to either talk in English or to put up with my faltering attempts at French.
the fact that this hotel is some distance from the walled town is not a big issue due to the bus across the road which comes a couple of times each hour (just check the timetable at the bus stop for details). It is also very easy to get back to the hotel from the walled town. However, given the distance from any facilities, and as we were on a month long holiday in Europe, it would have been great if the hotel had laundry facilities on site. Fortunately, however, we found a laundrette (a ‘laverie’) inside the walled town (on Place des Corps Saints / Rue Agricol Perdiguier). This was handy although, of course, we had to bring our dirty laundry on the bus to the walled town. The laundrette is situated next to an outdoor eating area so once we popped our clothes in to a machine we were able to go outside to a table and have a pizza and a bottle of Cote to Rhone while still keeping an eye on our clothes!
The hotel has a car park with plenty of spaces which was great as we had a hire car.
The restaurant was pleasant enough as were the waiting staff however the food was quite ordinary. The steak that I was served was easily the toughest steak I have ever eaten. I am not exaggerating here. I had to chew each mouthful for a long time. Perhaps eat breakfast here but I would not have an evening meal here again.
To summarise. We arrived by TGV from Paris and hired a car and found the location convenient for parking but not for laundry. The rooms are comfortable and clean; the staff are friendly and helpful; the food is ordinary and if you need / want wi-fi then you will be disappointed. If you really need acceptable wi-fi reception (and surely this is a given these days) then stay at another hotel.
- Also Known As:
- Kyriad Avignon Courtine Gare Tgv Hotel Avignon
- Kyriad Avignon Courtine Gare Tgv Hotel
- Avignon Holiday Inn Express
- Holiday Inn Avignon
- Avignon Holiday Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our 3* hotel, ideally located at the heart of the Provence, just 5mn away from the city centre, the City of the Popes and 500m from Avignon TGV station. The 100 large and comfortable rooms accommodate up to 2 adults and 2 children. All rooms have been refurbished and equipped with flat tv screens and offer a complimentary tea and coffee set! The hotel has been all renovated in 2010; free wifi access – free closed car park - ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Tingo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Otel and Venere so you can book your Kyriad Avignon Courtine Gare TGV reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.