“A Priceless Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Violette

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Avignon
La Violette
26 avenue de la Violette, 84000 Avignon, France   |
Ranked #8 of 49 Avignon B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“A Priceless Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at La Violette in April 2012, when I decided to do the first solo trip of my life, and it was to Southern France. La Violette was a very rare find, as it was kind of in the suburbs and one feels like a local staying there. City centre and train station were just a short walk away.

The traditional house had a cosy decor, and my room had a lovely balcony through which I could space out and enjoy the sunshine pouring in every morning. I actually looked forward to going 'home' everyday instead of staying out late like a tourist, as the room and house were just so nice to be in. I appreciated very much the generous homemade breakfast and occasional snack from my host, Isabelle. She is a very charismatic and warm lady with whom you could chat about life, amongst other things.

The greatest thing about my stay was the people in the house - Isabelle, her children and two lovely exchange students. I especially enjoyed hearing the children playing music every evening - it was such a joy. It was the first time I felt like a local in a foreign country, and part of a big family - something that touched me very deeply. Isabelle treated me like a family friend, and gave me a lot of information and history on things and sights in Avignon, including classical music concerts and visit to a nearby quaint village that made my trip a really relaxing and insightful one. I basked in the simple and heartwarming daily lives of the people, and this made it really great for a solo vacation to unwind and reflect on life.

If you are looking for a place with a personal touch to unwind and steep in the local culture, this is it. :)

Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

54 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Beautiful garden, big swimming pool and very refinement decorative in every room.
all things are just like what we saw in the movie or in the dream.
locate in a calm corner residential, only 10 minute to the centre train station in avignon,
close to several supermarket and bakery.
quitelly enjoy this personal holiday such like a family vacation !!

Room Tip: There are 3 twin room and 2 single room in the house, if you are balcon lover, try to ask the garden...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

We went to London, Brussel, Amsterdom, Swiss, Firenze, France (7 cities) in 2012 Apirl to May. La Violette is my favorite B&B in this trip, It's very clean, comfortable room, private bathroom, and very rich brackfast, the hostess very nice and cordial, because her suggest and introduce than we had a unforgettable in Avignon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I totally agree with all the reviews below especially the one of 'playaguya'. That is what I experienced while staying at La Violette. This is the place where you can feel like home. The house itself, the garden, the room, the balcony are so much characteristic. More important than that it is the great hospitality of Isabelle, Jean-Bernard and the children who are so kind and treat the guests like friends or relatives who come for a visit.
One of the highlights is the generous and lovely breakfast as Isabelle mentioned breakfast is the most important meal. Many kinds of bread, fresh orange juice, hot chocolate, eggs are all served in a homely decorated set. The rooms are pretty and yes the bathroom is very clean.
I don't mind the location which is outside the Avignon wall. Actually this is a plus as it is near to the train and the bus station. This makes the place a very good base as you will need to get to the bus station early to take a bus to other villages nearby. And as it is in a residential area it makes you feel more like a person who lives there rather than a tourist and it is just a short walk from the town anyway (I walked pass some hotels on the main road of Avignon which looked quite dull and felt lucky I stayed at La Violette.).

Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

What a delightful stay we had at La Violette during the last 4 nights of April. And I am not going to hold back - It was as close to perfect as we have ever had. In fact, we stayed in 8 different spots (7 b&bs and an apartment) during our month-long travels through Spain and France, and in retrospect, La Violette was easily the highlight of them all. Have you ever stayed at a place in which live classical music wafted through the halls? How about being served a lovely flower-filled basket of fruits, breads, jams, eggs, and coffee on a sun-dappled terrace each morning? What about being picked up at the train station on your arrival, then brought back again for your departure? To have experienced each of these is something rare, but to have experienced all of them in one spot is incredible.

We owe all of this to our talented, artistic, energetic, athletic, and charismatic Isabelle, to her partner Jean-Bernard (I think that's right. Apologies if I forgot), and to their wonderful and wonderfully talented children. Merci mille fois to the whole family - We certainly hope to return one day.

Practical observations: Bathroom very clean (as were all the rooms), ample space. Very comfy beds and bedroom. Coffee-maker and small fridge in room too. (Very handy!) La Violette is a short walk outside the Avignon walls, which I consider a plus. Nice to come "home" to such a quiet spot after the energy spent sightseeing. Very close to the local train and bus stations too. You will likely want to do a couple of day trips, and there are some great choices.

I have posted many reviews here on TA, but for the first time, I am going to submit photos. It is not letting me load more than three (?!), so these are my choices. I hope they will in some small way give you a glimpse into this wonderful world of La Violette. Enjoy!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room with private terrace.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
wijhe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

We have enjoyed a very pleasant stay at La Violetta in October. It is excellently situated near the old town, the train- and busstation. Thanks to th e nice weather we were able to enjoy the swimmingpool and the bicycles, which were kindly made available by the hostess. We welcomed her advice on cultural and architectural places of interest and saw the nicest palces and musea in and outside Avignon. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Greenbrae, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

Our visit to La Violette was our first to a B&B and I'm afraid we are now spoiled forever. Our lovely hostess, Isabelle, is charming and very knowledgeable about Avignon and the surrounding area. She told us of Avignon's history and shared with us things to see and do (and what to avoid) including visits to towns a short bus/train ride away. She supplied maps and brochures and made helpful restaurant/cafe recommendations. Also important was our lovely room with a balcony with views of the garden that we used every morning and evening and the delicious and hearty breakfast delivered to our room. We very much enjoyed our stay with Isabelle and recommend La Violette highly!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to La Violette? Share your experiences!