“Charming hotel but service can be improved” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel De L'Amphitheatre
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5-7, rue Diderot, 13200 Arles, France   |
Ranked #1 of 55 Hotels in Arles
Singapore, Singapore
“Charming hotel but service can be improved”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Charming boutique hotel set in a beautiful historical building. Rooms are decent. Clean. Dated furnishings but expect that's in line with the general feel of the hotel.

We had some trouble locating it in the car though given the narrow streets of Arles. Went round and round until we finally parked at the big public multi-storey car park and lugged our luggage there. Found out there's a small open air car park just round the corner.

Service wasn't great when we checked in. We were 3 ladies travelling with 3 huge luggages with room on the 2nd floor and no lift. No help was proffered to help us carry the luggage up by the guy who checked us it - in fact he was rather brusque throughout the whole check-in process including not telling us about the nearer car park when my friend went to ask on foot how to navigate there in car. On check out though we were met with much nicer guy who helped us with the luggage and waved us off with a smile.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed there for two nights, and found the hotel to be quite charming, with a very good (but at 8 euros perhaps a little expensive) breakfast. The building itself is old, but has been nicely renovated on the inside. My room had a clean and new-looking bathroom. The only downside is that, on the second morning, I woke up with several groups of very itchy bites on my legs and butt; they were all in groups of three, and I suspect that they were made by bed bugs.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Pontorson, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

I was surprised beyond measure with the hotel, tucked inconspicuously down a side street just off from the amphitheater.

It is a truly lovely, carefully kept *boutique*, if you will, two star hotel. Full of the colors of the south of France, beautifully/tastefully decorated... I even said to the owner, you are more of a three star than two...I loved it.

There was one standout that could use improvement...the petite dejeuner is too tight...too sparse. If they laid out a buffet breakfast with standard choice? Like yogurt, muesli, eggs, fruit, croissants, etc? It would completely take it over the top.
But if you know that ahead of time, you dont have to get it in the first place!

As it is, it is way too tightly controlled, thslept beautifully presented.

NOT to mention, I slept great in a very comfortable bed with crisp, fresh sheets.

I will return again and again. Thank you!

Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Placentia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

We booked this hotel based on Trip Advisor ratings. The positives: It is in the heart of the city, close to everything; the public areas (lobby, courtyard, dining room, etc) are very charming and nicely decorated; it has been renovated. I had high expectations due to all the good reviews I read. However, upon arrival, we found that our room was somehwat disappointing. It was tiny, fit only a double bed (not a queen bed) and that's about it. It's good that both my husband and I are skinny people, or I would imagine there would be trouble fitting two people comfortably on that bed. There is no extra space to maneuver in the room otherwise. The bathroom was also very small, and it had a tiny shower with curtain that does not keep water in, so the whole bathroom floor gets wet when you take a shower. Hot water is plentiful though. This room was the smallest of all of our hotel/B&B rooms we booked on our 16 day trip to France and Italy, and it was probably the least comfortable. Its size was equivalent to the tiny hotel rooms we find in big cities like Seoul or Tokyo, where space is premium. If you are only staying one or two nights in a room this size, it is probably ok. Otherwise, get something bigger.

Although the hotel is in the city center, it is located on a quiet street, and the windows are double paned. We did not have any trouble with noise at all even with the window open all night. The room gets quite stuffy when the windows are not opened.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Would stay again. Clean, friendly, spatious. For the price it is a no-brainer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

This is a very charming and characterful hotel with an artistic ambience, very much in keeping with the area of Arles in which it is situated. I felt at home as soon as I arrived for a 6-night stay, and comfortable throughout. The B&B hotel is a stone's throw from the Place de l'Amphitheatre which has a good choice of affordable restaurants for dinner. There is no side street parking close by, and arriving in what seemed like a maze of narrow streets was a bit daunting; but front desk advised me on where there is free parking within walking distance except on market days. French breakfast is 8 euros. The staff were pleasant and helpful, room very clean with nice en-suite, and free wi-fi was a plus. The only minus point for me was no tea or coffee making faciilities in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

I stayed at Hotel De L'Amphitheatre at the first week of May. The hotel is situated at the center of the old city and is a walking distance from the main restaurants area and from the local sights. The hotel loby and dining area is classy although can be a bit stuffy at night. The room I slept in was small, suitable for one person but crowded for a couple. The shower was also very small for my taste. the room was very clean and nicely furnished.
Altogether a very nice and decently priced hotel for your stay in Arles.

Just a heads-up. It is preferable not to aproach by car as the city streets can be very narrow. There are good parking locations a walking distance away.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel De L'Amphitheatre? Share your experiences!