“Basic place - average value even for Arles” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #10 of 57 hotels in Arles
Berlin
“Basic place - average value even for Arles”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

We had some trouble finding a place in Arles on short notice - even in late September. Finally we ended up at Hôtel Acacias, which turned out to be a so-so option. Good location - adjacent to the city walls and a five minutes' walk to the Arènes -, but our room was tiny and had a very small grand lit - alwas annoying for a non-couple, especially since we had made it clear we wanted a twin. Service was somewhat indifferent - but at least they had a funky garage for parking our bicycles.

Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

152 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

We stayed here for two nights and chose this hotel because of the location. For this purpose, it was great. We were able to walk up to the hotel directly from the train station and used it as a central point for sightseeing and biking. We were able to easily rent bikes from a neighboring hotel. The downsides were the front desk staff being less than cordial, the breakfast was limited for the price and the air conditioner did not work at all. When we asked about the air conditioner, we were told that the thermostat was set where it needed to be and would not be changed. We were told repeatedly that the air conditioner was on, but it was not. No one ever came to check. The bed was very hard and uncomfortable. However, we loved Arles and there were many other hotels close by.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Isle of wight
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

We spent 5 nights here in June. Some of the older reviews had a us a bit worried...but there was no need!
Our room (209) had a separate loo and shower- an unexpected bonus in a cheaper hotel- both rooms were fully tiled and spotless-none of that sad old brown and worn grouting that you get in some places. The towels were changed every day!!!! The bedroom decor was also spotlessly clean, bright and cheerful.
We arrived too early to get into our room (11:00 am!!) but the staff were happy to take our luggage so we could go straight out for coffee and explore. The hotel is well situated, right by the city walls close to the River and very handy for the station yet only about 5 minutes walk to the amphitheatre and some of the popular sights of Arles.Our window looked over the street but it wasn't noisy at night.
Our only complaint was that there wasn't much choice for breakfast.
However, we would recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
San Mateo Ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

A charming little hotel, friendly staff, great location, we agree wholeheartedly with the previous reviewer. Everything looks new and shiny including the elevator. Gorgeous thick new towels in the bathroom. Toilet was in separate little room so very convenient as shower and basin room was small. Bed was large and comfortable and double windows kept out any noise. A small buffet breakfast was available for 6 Euros if wanted. Location close to train as well as bus pickup for St Remy (cost 1 Euro). Town center and amphitheater easy walk. Good restaurant across from the amphitheater was "L'Andaluz" , nice service, good price. One across from that "Hostellerie des Arenes" was definately a let down--food OK but surly service. Another nice place just opposite the hotel entrance, "La Christera" run by young couple, he cooks, she waits tables.
We recommend the Hotel Acacias to those wanting a small friendly reasonably priced place in Arles.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Honolulu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2009

I was shocked by the previous two reviews, and not sure they are talking about the same hotel. Having just splurged on the expensive Novotel in Nimes, I found the Acacias to be an excellent value.

A short walk from the train station, two minutes from the river and promenade , you are within easy walking distance to all the sites. Arles is a small city, and easy to see on foot. This is a great hotel for only 65 euros (for a larger double with aricon).

I walked in without a reservation, and the friendly couple who run it showed me a very nice room. It was very clean, comfortable size, with aircon, and a good bath. The hotel is above basic, with a very interesting lobby.

The entire staff were friendly and helpful, and I totally enjoyed my stay. I would not hesitate to stay here the next time I'm in Arles.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Berlin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2009

Made a terrible experience: after been bitten several times I found more than 20 bedbugs and their nests in my room behind and under my bed, in the corners of the room and on the wall hangings behind my bed. Must have been there for some time - clear lack of hygiene and cleanliness (room # 311). Could not get another room as all hotels were booked out due to the festival in Arles at this time. Room was cleaned and disinfected but not by a professional - therefore, I found 4 more bedbugs after disinfection. Obviously carried some home with my suitcase although I made a thorough search of my belongings several times before. Now I have more bites and had to call the exterminator to clean my apartment. Great. Consider legal proceedings against the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I booked a room for 18 August 2009, providing my credit card details and the reservation was confirmed. On the day itself, barely two hours before my arrival, the hotel sent an email to say that my credit card number was "wrong" and my reservation was cancelled. There was no prior notice of any sort nor any attempt to make any clarification.

I immediately rang to ask what the problem was - and the fact that I was due to arrive very shortly. But apparently, the hotel is now "full" and tough luck.

I reproduce the email from the hotel after I voiced my dissatisfaction:

"Hello,
When you book a room the credit card number is the garantee. If you give bad credit card, when you control the credit card, the credit is not ok and we cancelled the reservation
It is normal. And normally and don't send email to inform you.
It is like this in all hotel in the world. It is the first time you travel ?
The next time when you will go at hotel you give a good credit card number like others tourist and we will keep the room"

Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Acacias? Share your experiences!