“Best Horse Riding!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 57 Hotels in Arles
London, United Kingdom
“Best Horse Riding!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Mas de Peint is nicely located in the heart of Camargue, a wild reserve that is worth visiting. The Hotel is a little too manicured on the outside for my taste, but well decorated inside with authentic details (around bulls) with ceiling made of enormous wooden beams. It is all very well organised and the rooms are large. The swimming pool is great, but the best part is the horse riding in the owner's property of 500 hectars. Sandy will take you for a tour on the most adorable horses and she will explain the whole history of Camargue, how the ecosystem works, etc. Delightful. Although the restaurant area by the pool is super nice, don't stay for lunch; the food is mediocre and overpriced!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012 via mobile

RM7. No shower. Bad lighting. Hard cushions not pillows. No drinking water. Beams authentic but impractical for tall people in a superior room?!

• Stayed July 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

After a very warm welcome from Madame Bon and her son Frederic we sat under a rose covered pergola by the pool for a late lunch.
Lovely colourful gaspacho with a beautiful arrangement of extras, then a perfectly cooked slice of swordfish with a fresh spicy tomato sauce and followed by the most delicious fruit sorbets.
Its a peaceful setting, crickets and birds singing and a combine harvester at work in the distance.
Definitely worth the trip from Arles and is half way to the beach at Salin de Giraud.

Room Tip: Didnt stay the night, but it all looks lovely and charming and authentic
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was our third trip to Mas De Peint and it was truly a weekend to remember, our Wedding Weekend.
Part of the charm of Mas De Peint is that Madame Bon is very specific in what services can be provided by her team. They never over promise and so we were never disappointed. As long as you understand this, then you will not be disappointed.
The staff are utterly charming and helpful, the food is local, authentic and the cooking is to a very high standard. The grounds are serene and beautiful, the rooms are charming and comfortable and from the moment of arrival to the moment we left we felt cocooned and removed from every day life. It is truly an oasis of calm

Room Tip: The suites are huge and spacious but even the 'basic' rooms are beautiful - some without a s...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I was looking for interesting places to bring my teenagers in the south of France. Flipping through a "hip hotels" book, I found Hotel Mas de Peint in La Camargue, Arles -- set in a national park/reserve amongst organic rice fields -- with flocks of flamingos, herds of native bulls, and a stable of white Camargian (is that a word?) horses -- it is a place of stark natural beauty and peacefulness. It is a short drive to the Mediterranean Sea (where giant mounds of harvested sea salt welcome you to a nearly deserted, wide expanse of beach with essentially no services), but the real attraction is the wildlife -- we saw flamingos (of course), but we also saw storks, egrets, and great blue herons. At Hotel Mas de Peint, they have herds of gorgeous bulls as well as the distinctive white horses of Camargue. Some of the bulls are reared to participate in the traditional bull games of Camargue (no killing of the bulls; this is a sport where the "gardians" try to remove ribbons from the bulls' horns), others for eating. We went horseback riding across the fields and took a jeep trip to see other sites including the newborn cattle. It is buggy -- the Camargue is a gigantic wetlands -- so bring a little bug spray and prepare to relax.

The hotel itself is gorgeous -- a 17th century farmhouse that is still a working farm. It is covered with ivy and wisteria, with a thatched roof barn structure and a lovely pool area. My kids stayed in the main house, in an adorable room set under the eaves, with two twin beds and an antique daybed (fainting couch?) in the corner. My husband and I stayed in the new wing; our room had a kitchenette and a comfortable sitting area with a couch and fireplace; there was a small patio with a chair for soaking in the sun. The beds have sheets made of actual linen, which I have never had the privilege to sleep on before. The bathrooms were elegant and sleek, with natural stone and modern fixtures.

Oh, and the food! We ate in the dining room for every breakfast and dinner. The kitchen also prepared us a "pique nique" for our beach day. The dining room is in two parts -- one directly adjacent to the working kitchen and the other that has the feeling of being also the reception area for hors d'oeuvres or cocktails -- both are lovely and comfortable. When seated in the room adjacent to the working kitchen, you are treated to watching the chef prepare your meals. Everyone in my family enjoyed the meals all the more watching the chef prepare each plate with such care and flourish. Over the course of several days, we had monkfish, salmon, and "taureau" -- each meal is several courses, delicately flavored, and absolutely delicious.

The staff was wonderful, friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Madame Bon made us welcome within moments of our arrival, and chatted with us every day of our stay. We had concocted a plan to ride bikes to the sea (about 45 km, roundtrip), which worried her because of the speed of the drivers on the highway. So, she suggested an alternate plan where we drove and the kitchen prepared us a picnic (sandwiches of smoked salmon or ham/cheese, pasta salad, bounteous fresh fruit -- enough for a family of 10, let alone 4!). They also helped us to research local opportunities to see the Camargue bull games and arranged our horseback riding and jeep ride. Just about everyone spoke English (as well as other languages), and they were very patient with my merciless, hacking attempts to practice my dusty high school french (thank you, Saveur!).

I found myself wanting to stay longer, and looking forward to planning a return trip -- this would be a very special place for a visit with extended family. It felt authentically french, not touristy, and deeply attached to tradition and the beauty of nature. It is not a place to go if you are looking for nightlife or lots of shopping (although Arles is only about a 20 minute drive away). But, if you want peace, quiet, beauty, nature, and delicious food -- I highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Antibes, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

My boyfriend works just down the road in the Camargue, and is always commenting on the bleakness of the place (well it is winter) so I wanted to show him that just half an hour from his port is a beautiful national park area with a great hotel.
I booked the Valentines package at the Mas De Peinte and we stayed in the hotel with and had a set Valentine's meal, plus a half bottle of champagne in the room. I cant tell you what I paid in case my other half reads this review, but when I saw a 9 euro surcharge on the menu for people who wanted the cheese board for desert, I thought it was the height of cheekiness - this place is not cheap and for the price I paid I wasn't prepared to pay extra for cheese!
For example, they charge 60 euros per person for horse riding, whereas 2 miles down the road at the Lac Etang it is half that price.

However, when I booked, I knew they were expensive so all of this has to be taken on the chin.

The service was certainly 5 star level but on the friendly side (rather than the aloofness you get in some Medeterranean 5 stars). Nothing is too much, things that we asked for were delivered quickly by the staff, we had a nice guided tour of the hotel and our room on arrival so that we knew where everything was and how to access it, and when we couldnt decide on a wine at dinner, they opened a couple of different bottles to let us taste and decide.
Heidi who I had been dealing with at booking stage had picked out the most romantic room for us as it was a Valentines break which was a sweet touch, and the room was lovely, a large size with a mezzanine bathroom upstairs, a queen size bed and exposed beams, all contemporarily finished and clean enough to eat your dinner off of.

The grounds and lounges are all beautiful too, the property has a real rural feel, you are in the middle of nowhere and the quietness of the Camargue country side and the sound of your feet on the gravel pathways brought me a sense of peace I dont think you would get in many other places.
The photos that I had looked at on the internet before going don't really give away the size of rooms, but the whole building has a large, open feel to it, including the lobby, kitchen and our room itself.
We ate our meal not in the kitchen (although we could've eaten in there) but just outside through the double open doors in the lounge, in front of the inglenook fireplace which had a large open fire roaring away in it. Trés romantique!
The meal was a good standard, not michelin level by any means, but still a treat. A nice amuse bouche to get us going and then a scallops starter and fish main, all covered in black truffles as if they had come across a lorry load of them going cheap.

We ate breakfast in the kitchen, a lovely med-spread of cheeses, yoghurts, jams, breads and pastries.

The only downsides on the practical front were very poor WiFi strength (free of charge) and an iron with it's bare wires revealed - oh, and a meanly stocked mini bar, although this was more a blessing than a curse as it removed temptation!

Overall, I would love to go back for a few days of complete relaxation, everyone there is so chilled out, none of the staff seemed at all stressed and they all appeared happy to work there. I dont think I would pay what I paid for Valentines again though, they need to bring their prices down a little bit.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We went for 4 days over Christmas. 2 of our children [in their 20s] came for Xmas lunch and liked the whole thing so much they stayed on.

There was only us 4 and a nice bird-photographer staying with his daughter.

It was all terrific: lovely place, lovely people, lovely quiet, lovely food, lovely atmosphere, lovely comfort and lovely and warm at Christmas - a rarity in French hotels. We rode and we walked and we felt happy - and VERY much look forward to going back again.

Could anything have been any better? Not that we can think of ...

Room Tip: The 'ordinary' rooms seemed even nicer and brighter than our beamed one.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Mas de Peint? Share your experiences!