“Great location, great service” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Spa Le Calendal
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 rue Porte de Laure, 13200 Arles, France   |
Ranked #2 of 57 hotels in Arles
Ottawa, Canada
“Great location, great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This charming hotel is right by the Arena. It occupies several connected buildings, with a courtyard garden. Our room faced the courtyard so was very quiet. Amenities were all modern. The staff were pleasant and helpful with tips on places to see. The self-serve breakfast in the hotel was good, with a variety of choices.

• Stayed October 2012

752 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Coming from London, I am used to high standard resorts and hotels whenever I travel around the world and I was impressed by the level of services offered by Le Calendal.
First when you reach there, the staff is smiling at you and speak very good English,which is for me comforting ans also because I have friends and business colleagues meeting me over there, coming from various part of the world.
The rooms are clean and cute, very 'Provencal' I guess, very charming.
The garden is amazing, the food served is excellent from the local sandwiches to their local or salad specialities.
They have an amazing Spa and what a view towards the roman amphitheatre!!
Also, they have laptop available for you to read your emails, web surfing and wifi for free!!!

Have to say, it's an amazing location with amazing staff, amazing service...

It was worth taking my precious time to write this review.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel based on the positive reviews from trip advisor. My husband and I had a wonderful time! We got an upgrade because we were on our honeymoon. The service was great, breakfast buffet was good and the price was reasonable.
They also have a spa but I think the prices for the services are way too high. Not worth it. I had a US$60 manicure which I think is ridiculously expensive and the lady didn't do a good job! Other than that, everything else was good. You don't need a car to explore this town, a lot of restaurants around the hotel and they were good :) we had a great time! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2012
Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

If your goal is to walk around Arles, then Le Calendal is well-situated. As other reviewers have said, the major Roman ruins are nearby and the weekly markets are held on Blvd des Lices where the parking garage is, so things of interest are close by. I did spend a day walking around Arles, but I also used Arles as a base for exploring Provence by car and this created problems. First of all, be aware that the hotel gives you a ticket for the machine at the parking garage. I assumed that the ticket is fed into the machine on the way out, but actually it must be put in on the way in AND on the way out. (If you simply take the garage ticket on entry, as I did, you can't get back out without paying for parking (again) or contacting a disembodied French voice on an intercom.) A heads up from the hotel about this would have been helpful. Likewise, you should be sure to keep your parking garage ticket with you, not in the car. This is because the garage is locked to pedestrian entry at certain times and you need the ticket to get in. This happened to me on a Sunday around 10 AM and again I had to deal with the disembodied voice. One other point about the parking situation: the Boulevard des Lices is closed most of the day on Saturday for the market and intermittently on other days, eg the Sunday I mentioned above, so one must navigate around it - not always easy because it is a major thoroughfare.

Stayed October 2012
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

In October 2012, we stayed at Le Calendal for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay there. The hotel is well situated in the old city, close to the Roman ruins and lots of shops and restaurants. While parking is off site, it is very close by. The room was small, clean and tastefully decorated. There is a cafe attached to the hotel and the food was reasonable and good. The front desk staff were very helpful. Arles is a nice town to explore and this hotel made it easy to do so. We would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Helena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My husband and I enjoyed our October stay at the Calendal. The hotel is in the perfect location. Very friendly/helpful staff. Room/bathrooms (very important for American sensibilities) were great. Loved the outside terrace for early morning cafe or afternoon wine. Of course, we would stay there again! In fact, I was unable to get into the Jules Cesar hotel - thank goodness! This location was much better.

Room Tip: We chose a room on the first level - very cute! With its own patio area. Loved it. Room wasn't h...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This hotel is so well located right next to the Roman theater and within walking distance to everything in the town of Arles. We couldn't find the hotel in the car, so we parked nearby and walked to it. The most helpful clerk went with us to show us where to park and helped bring our luggage back to hotel! We had a cottage room with a terrace and it was lovely. Bedroom was small, but beds were comfortable. Breakfast and service were excellent. Staff friendly and helped us figure out how to get where we wanted to go. Perfect spot to stay to explore Arles' Roman ruins, and the Van Gogh trail.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Spa Le Calendal? Share your experiences!