“Fabulous spot to eat after the Saturday Market” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #48 of 62 Restaurants in Apt
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Fabulous spot to eat after the Saturday Market”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We love the Saturday Apt market and Le Royal is our favorite place to have lunch with friends. But you need to reserve. If the weather is nice, book a table on "la terrace", but the inside is very nice, too. I love the scallops and my husband loves their avocado shrimp salad. The house wine by the glass or carafe is also good. And Chantal, who runs the restaurant, is charming. A favorite of locals and ex-pats.

Visited September 2013

kent
“rude service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

if being treated in a rude and offhand manner and having cutlery thrown across the table at you is your thing then this is the place for you, we encountered a similar experience to the reviewer with the baby, only we didnt have a baby...worst service of the week in provence by a mile, terrible is probably too high praise really...

Visited September 2013
“Could this place be more French? (Generally a good thing!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

So just arrived in Apt on a Monday night in September, booked into Hotel de Palais which we are v. Happy with but decided to eat somewhere else even though their terrace was nicely buzzy- pizza isn't our thing- had a wander around and settled on Café Royals as its menu read best - not the cheapest, not the dearest - but certainly the busiest restaurant in the town.

In fairness to the review below, I know exactly the woman they're referring to- was rude telling us we had to sit inside, was rude telling me to wait before she would take our drinks order and later was incredibly rude to a group who'd arrived after the kitchen was closed- but hey this is France! To be honest didn't impact on our evening and wouldn't put me off. We were in too good a mood, too charmed by Provence... And too goddam hungry! Plus the young waiter was incredibly friendly and helpful so totally offset the previous rudeness. Oh, forgot to mention she was also rude when I asked how the salmon was cooked...anyhoo, whatever!

€17 for 2 courses, €21 for 3 courses so ya can't really complain- place was packed on a Monday night. Food varied between good (Salmon, Chicken) and really good (terrine, tagliatelle, dauphinoise, cheese, mousse, ice-cream)

We drink white wine and I know the Chateau de la Canorgue Viognier v. Well so decided to order the €19 vin de pays Viognier just to try it- turned out to be just as good- seeing as we were still thirsty I ordered a carafe of their house wine- carefully hidden at the back of the menu for €8 ( so €12 a bottle I guess) - honestly just as good as either of the other two!

Look, this place does exactly what it says on the tin- you won't be disappointed!

Bon App!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Very Rude woman...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Having just returned from dinner in Apt I wanted to express how rude the female owner is here. We were with our 7 month old daughter and asked if they had a table for two with a pram. The rude woman just walked past us and shouted 'nous sommes complet' at us and walked off! I thought this kind of rude service had died out in France but it seems not. I pointed out several empty tables to the waitress and even said we'd dine inside which was totally empty but was told they were all reserved despite there being no signs up. We ended up dining over the road and I could see plenty of empty tables with no one on them. Not sure why the woman took offence to us, maybe it was the baby? Anyway, I'd urge you to go over the square to the Cafe de France where the were lovely and the food was fine.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bonnieux en Provence, France
“Service with a smile !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ate here last night, great atmosphere because of its location in the busy square of Apt, the waiter smiles continuously and makes you very welcome. Typical French brasserie cuisine well cooked and presented. Wine by the carafe good value. Will definitely eat here again and often. Great !

• Visited July 2013