“Highs and lows” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 70 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Hong Kong, China
“Highs and lows”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We recently spent 5 nights at Le Pigonnet and had a wonderfully relaxing time; the photographs of the grounds and setting are accurate however the hotel is let down by its pricing. Our superior room was very small and hindered by overly large furniture (yet no drawers to speak of) and while brand new, the bathroom was very snug. Having been given a fab bottle of Rose when we arrived, we were surprised not to find any bottled water in the room, nor an iron/ironing board. However we did find those ridiculous anti-theft coat hangers, seriously? In a 325+ Euro/night hotel? We did need to iron some clothes but were initially told by the front desk that due to security reasons the hotel did not provide irons/ironing boards; when we questioned this and went on to ask the price for pressing services, the person just hung up. 5 minutes later a very nice lady knocked on the door with an iron/ironing board. We speak French fluently, so it was unlikely to be a translation issue...

On the whole the staff were very helpful and friendly and I would have scored this hotel higher if coupled with the poor value room, the food/drinks weren't so over-priced 19Euros for a continental breakfast and 6Euros for a Diet Coke is way out of whack with other places in Aix. I don't mind paying a bit more but it just felt that the hotel was trying to capitalise on the fact that it was 10-15 minutes away from the nearest store/bar. It's not a bad walk by the way, just a bit boring considering the rest of the countryside.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lepigonnet, Directeur général at Hotel Le Pigonnet, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Rose C,
Thank you for taking the time to put pen to paper and share your experience of Le Pigonnet on Tripadvisor.
We are glad that your stay with us was relaxing and that you enjoyed the hotel grounds. We were also pleased to note that globally our staff was very friendly and helpful, this is as it should be, for we strive to offer the best possible service to our clients.
The negative aspects of your stay will certainly be addressed with the appropriate department heads and measures will be taken where necessary .
We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Le Pigonnet on some future occasion and making sure that your next stay is an unalloyed pleasure.
With Best Regards,
Thérèse Blay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We really had no expectations going in and booked based on recommendation of a friend.

We stayed in an old wing of the hotel where room was small, air conditioner noisey and carpet dirty. Hotel charges for everything including the handling of bags. They don't provide water in rooms which is curious given summer weather.

Location of hotel is debatable at best. We are walkers so didn't mind the walk to the town but can see why so many folks complain. The hotel offers shuttle service but they charge for that as well (5Euros per person).

On the positive side, the hotels has fantastic gardens and a swimming pool. The food was fresh and well prepared. The hotel entrance valet was loaded with Ferrari's and fancy sports cars for those who like to rub shoulders with rich and famous (we could care less).

All in, not sure we would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013
lepigonnet, Directeur général at Hotel Le Pigonnet, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Sir,
We thank for taking the time to share your experience of the Pigonnet on Tripadvisor .
You are kind enough to praise the hotel’s landscaped gardens and swimming pool, as well as giving an honourable mention to our cuisine, but on the whole you seem to have been somewhat disappointed.
We are extremely sorry that your stay was unsatisfactory, despite your friend’s recommendation, and hope that we will one day have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Pigonnet and revising your first impression.
Best regards,
Lexington, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at Le Pigonnet at the beginning of a group tour through Provence in April. The hotel was lovely and my room was recently renovated, so recently that they were still working on rooms down the hall from my room. There was a VERY strong smell of paint and plaster, and to try and hide that smell they placed a fragrance machine to pump another strong smell of fragrance right outside my door. This was a problem because of my sensitivity to odors and when I mentioned it the staff moved the fragrance machine. All of this made my first 24 hours there quite uncomfortable but staff did what they could to make things better. I asked for another room and offered to pay more money if available, and they said that all the rooms were booked.

The remainder of my stay (3-nights total) was fine but I think the hotel should have kept this wing closed during the painting and plastering part of the renovation, especially since it was so early in the season. I sent an email to my tour company and mentioned it to my tour director but at that point it was too late.

The remainder of my stay was very nice because of the amazing garden, which was still in "spring mode". I am sure the garden is beyond amazing in the summer when it is probably quite busy with guests. I imagine a lot of weddings take place in this beautiful garden in the height of the season. I spent many hours just lingering in the garden with the resident cat.

I walked into town a couple of times, and like others have stated it is a little too long of a walk into town. It took me about 15 minutes to walk to the main street area, and I would have preferred to be closer in general, but the garden was something special that would not have been available in town.

The hotel restaurant was fantastic for lunch, and they made me feel comfortable dining alone. Since I did not like the meat/seafood selections they made me a custom lunch - amazing pasta with fresh tomato sauce.

All in all, a memorable stay in Aix, and I hope to return someday!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Lori,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of Le Pigonnet on Tripadvisor.
At the beginning of the year we did undertake the renovation and refurbishment of some of our rooms so as to maintain and improve the quality of our accommodation and enhance the attractions of our manor house hotel. We are indeed sorry that you found the freshly painted room rather a trial and that we were unable to offer you alternative accommodation as we were fully booked.
Luckily the rest of your stay seems to have been pleasant and we are glad that you were able to make the most of our beautiful landscaped gardens. Indeed the hotel grounds have a unique charm which casts a spell on all our guests and we are very lucky to be able to offer a secluded oasis of greenery, within walking distance of Aix en Provence.
I was also pleased to read that you appreciated our restaurant and that our staff made you feel at home. We do our best to offer a personalised service and it is heartening to learn that our efforts are not in vain.
We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Pigonnet in the not too distant future.
With Kind Regards,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We stayed at Le Pigonnet for the second time during the Aix en Provence Music Festival. Again, our stay was excellent! We loved the new room decorations in our beautiful room overlooking the gardens. The food was delicious and beautifully served. All the staff were extremely helpful, friendly, and always attentive. We would recommend Le Pigonnet to anyone and everyone!

Room Tip: Our too overlooking the gardens was wonderful.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Helen
Many thanks for your praise of the Hotel Pigonnet.
We are so glad that you appreciated the improvements we have made to the hotel as we have been at great pains to refurbish and upgrade all our amenities, while at the same time maintaining the unique charm of our old manor house.
It was also a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed our cuisine and that the service was impeccable.
A beautiful hotel and grounds are all very well, but they are nothing without a friendly and professional welcome on the part of the staff. We are delighted to feel that all our endeavours have been worthwhile and that the team has contributed to making your second stay at the Pigonnet truly enjoyable.
Never two without three as the saying goes, and we do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Pigonnet.
Kind regards,
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We appreciated the modern and well organized room at Le Pigonnet. (Friends who were staying with us did not, They had stayed there before and said they liked it more when it had old fashioned charm, not this modern style.) We liked the calm and restful decor and were grateful for all the up to date touches. Enough outlets to charge 2 phones and 2 ipads at once - amazing!

A glass walled shower was nice but tight, and oddly had no handles on the inside or anywhere to put shampoo or soap. But big tub also had a shower. It was hot in Aix but the air conditioning in our room was excellent.

Breakfast was an expensive but plentiful buffet. Totally wasted on someone like me who only has yogurt for breakfast. Nice bar in the pretty gardens. An okay pool, but we spent a pleasant hour there one evening.

My only real complaint is the location. Yes, it is within walking distance of town (10-15 minutes), and I'm a walker, but it's a boring walk with nothing to look at, along one of the main roads with a high and blank wall leading into Aix. It also rained several times when we were there, and we had no luck getting a cab to take us back to the hotel. The hotel does provide a navette (shuttle) where they will drop you off in town, but it isn't always available. (I wish they ran it on a regular basis.) For me the location was enough of a problem that I would not stay there again, even though I liked the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience of the Pigonnet on Tripadvisor.
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and were particularly pleased to learn that you appreciated the comfort of your hotel room. We have recently undertaken the refurbishment and upgrading of our accommodation, which is now stylish and practical, combining modern comfort with old world gracious living.
Your comments on the quality of our buffet breakfast and the attractions of our new Lounge bar, set in the midst of landscaped gardens, also made very pleasant reading.
We would be honoured indeed to welcome you back to the Pigonnet and hope that we will one day have the pleasure of seeing you again.
Kind regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Beautiful garden and pool area - and the restaurant was exceptional for dinner. The room was nice without being exceptional. Good location close to the centre of Aix ( about a 15 min stroll) and nice to have the large garden and pool area to relax in.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Evansville, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband and I visited Aix as the last leg of our Provence and Riviera vacation with friends. The hotel's web site looked lovely and we thought a three night stay there would be wonderful. I'm sorry to report that we were disappointed with several key areas. We booked deluxe rooms and our travel agent was told they would be magnificent. The hotel is undergoing renovation, so the first room my husband and I were shown was newly renovated, but reeked of varnish -- the hardwood floors were obviously newly done. There are no area rugs in those rooms with hardwoods and the floors that have seen guests are showing wear much sooner than they should. The room we finally settled on was fine -- but nothing to warrant a 5 star experience. Here's the thing: to be a 5 star hotel the property must not have carpets with visible stains, nails shouldn't be popping up out of doorway thresholds (in several places), bathrooms should be more than pretty - they should have adequate counter space and not plastic sinks, and above all else, service should be impeccable or close to it. Our package included breakfast, but we didn't know until the last day that we could have had eggs made to order or crepes in addition to the buffet -- my husband only discovered that by picking up a menu on our way out of the restaurant. No one ever offered a menu or told us about the offerings. We thought it odd that our husbands' plates were cleared in the mornings but not mine nor my friend's. The gardens are beautiful and the bar is set in a lovely area of the garden. Reception was lovely until we expressed displeasure with our initial rooms -- it cooled noticeably thereafter and remained that way. The hotels' web site showed beautifully appointed rooms that match the decor you'd expect from a hotel that once was a private estate. However the renovation is more contemporary in style -- downright garish in some areas, and the rooms aren't nearly as lovely as the web site led us to believe. On the plus side, the property is located a short 10 minute walk to the center of town and to many fantastic restaurants, and maps are available at the front desk. The gardens are beautiful. But to be completely honest, a property needs more than nice gardens and a nice location to be 5 star. For the price we expected better.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms have nice views, though our corner room also looked out over an apartment building...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Le Pigonnet? Share your experiences!