“Good location, nice setting” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Le Pigonnet
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Avenue du Pigonnet, 13090 Aix-en-Provence, France   |
Ranked #19 of 68 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
Barcelona, Spain
“Good location, nice setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

We had a great weekend there, rooms are very nice, beautiful garden, spaciouse parking...
Walking distance to the centre.. Good breakfast , with views to the garden. Dinner was ok but had better...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Rutland, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

a beautiful hotel, in a quiet neighborhood, walking distance from downtown. The gardens are so beautiful and peaceful, understandbale that Paul Cezanne frquented those gardens.
Our room was small, nidely decorated, even though I was not crazy about the pebbled wallcovering. Nice classical bathroom with some minor maintenance issues (a bit of mold in the caulking) but our window gave us an excellent view of the gardens. reception is very efficient and friendly, easy and secure parking are also a pro.
Overall great place to stay. And did I meantion free mini bar?????

Edinburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Having surfed TA we decided to treat ourselves and celebrate my birthday at Le Pigonnet having just spent two nights in a charming 3 star hotel in Bedoin. Bring back the three star experience !

Where does Le Pigonnet get away with a 5 star rating..?

On checking in to room 26 we had to double take questioning that Euros 200.00 bought a 10 x 10 room with peeling paint and threadbare carpets ? We asked for an upgrade which for Euros 30 more we were then taken to room 20 which was bigger , had a bigger bed , separate shower etc. but all accompanied by a strange smell. The Provençal wall paper and curtains were very Provençal but the rest was just pretty average. And for Euros 230.00.....
The shower room had mould in the grout (a pet hate of mine admittedly) which I was able to clean away using a face cloth but if I could do this why couldn't the staff ?

And this frankly was our biggest gripe...the service or should we say lack of service.

For a 5 star establishment this hotel offered a pretty disinterested bunch of staff who just wanted to do the bare minimum and yet charge the maximum for the non experience.
It was embarrassing as a Brit to sit in the bar and listen to some well travelled , affluent Americans having to go seek out the barman to serve them their overpriced cocktails. This wouldn't happen in New York ! We had to do the same ..twice.

At dinner we were sat in an annexe room , given no alternative and then had to wait fifteen minutes before being even offered a glass of water. Finally we were asked to chose our desert at the outset of ordering only to be told that our choice was sold out some two hours later ; we therefore got no choice or would have had to pay extra if we strayed to the a la carte! The meal was OK , house wines pretty good but again nothing that special.

We checked out the next morning and didn't bother with breakfast...a local cafe round the corner was a more agreeable and above all genuine experience.

All in all we just felt that the staff would have welcomed gum on their shoes more than they welcomed their guests or wanted to satisfy their needs.Maybe we just caught everyone and everything on a bad day ; however , we will not be back and given the staff's general reception I don't think they'll be too bothered!

Room Tip: Hotel des Pins , Bedoin !
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Biot, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

My wife's birthday and I wanted a long weekend stay at Pigonnet. I found on their website a romantic weekend package for 450 €. this includes

(Hotel announce)..
(Room Type : Romantic Escape - Romantic Escape Aix-en-Provence is one of the most romantic cities in the world, and what better way to celebrate romance than in the unique, luxurious atmosphere of Le Pigonnet.
A room with flowers, sweets, champagne waiting for you, Le Pigonnet's romance package offers you two nights in a room with garden view and one dinner for two in hotel's restaurant "Le Riviera".
On the second night, we would de delighted to offer a champagne cocktail before advising you on Aix's romantic bightspots)

We had obviously high expectations for Le Pigonnet after having read reviews.

What a disappointment. We arrived to the time we had informed the hotel. We drove up to the entrance and waited for 8 minutes before someone came and took our luggage. We got the room number 48.. there were no flowers or champagne. Nothing happened for 30 minutes and then I went down to reception and asked what happened? Total confusion after 3-5 min with 3 different people involved they came to the decision that we should have flowers and champagne to our room. 15 minutes later, a small flower and an excellent bottle of champagne (Pol Roger Extra Cuvèe de Réserve) was delivered to our room. Seem surprising that it is a 5 star hotel.
The room was nice but very small (for the price ok, we could not expect the best room for the packed price 450€). Lovely views over the garden and aircon and Light worked fine. The bathroom was ok but the joints in the bathtub were moldy and very unhygienic, I've never seen it elsewhere on a 4 and 7 star hotels.

The elevator was very VERY noisy if you go there avoid the rooms in the annex. In the nights it is peaceful

The restaurant (La Rivera) where we have our "romantic" dinner is nice and the decoration is fine. The food is far below average and certainly not on par what you might expect from a 5 star hotel. And it is allowed that cell phones is ringing incessantly (not a big problem but annoying) we got a 3 course menu which is the only they can offer. The first course was a rillettes tasteless and still cold after the refrigerator. For main course we had 3 different grilled fish with a timbale of vegetables that was so spicy it was inedible. The fish was ok but you must be a terrorist to destroy a grilled fish. For dessert we had an ice cream with dried fruit good but not something you will remember.
The dinner had nothing to do with gourmet food, raw materials were too poor and kitchens are without talent.
The wine list is ok but relatively expensive, we got a plain Pulligny Montrachet to 96 € There was wine in our package price and the waiter said they will deduct the price of the wine, which the hotel obviously forgot!

Breakfast is good chef does not serve the same every morning. One morning there was a goat cheese and the next day cake?? You can get different hot egg dishes and waffles. If breakfast had not been include in our package I think that breakfast costs at € 19 is a very high price for breakfast compared with the quality. Saw that not everyone could get a table for breakfast; this is absolutely unheard and very questionable at a 5 star hotel.

My personal opinion is that Pigonnet is an excellent 3 star hotel. The lack of service and personal insight makes Pigonnet the hotel I have visited the biggest disappointment among 4 and 7 star hotels in the hold world that I had stayed on for over 31 years.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
lepigonnet, Responsable commercial at Hotel Le Pigonnet, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear Sir,

Le pigonnet always give a lot of care to its guests comments, as we consider it as part of the services we must provide.
Above all It help us in improving our weak points and correcting them immediatly.

We are sincerely sorry for the bad experience you had during your stay, which certainly does not reflect our quality standards.

We will therefore contact you personnaly in order to clarify this matter, and once again we wish to apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you.

Hopping to be able to welcome you again, in better conditions, please accept our best regards.
st. louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I are spending two weeks in Villefranche sur Mer and decided to take a side trip to Aix en Provence. I had always wanted to stay at the Hotel Le Pigonnet after seeing pictures and reviews of it on tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. We loved this hotel and indeed I would return to Aix in order to stay there again. We stayed in room 14 which overlooked the pool and while we have stayed in rooms that were more ornate or larger, we could not have been more pleased with the decor, the separate toilet and fabulous bathroom. But most of all the garden area and the dining room make Le Pigonnet "a special place" as noted by a previous reviewer. We felt so fortunate to just walk around and watch the sun set on a gorgeous October evening. It was magical. Service by the hotel staff was excellent and everyone was helpful with regards to directions and answering any questions we had. Another plus was the free parking which meant that we did not have to struggle with either driving or finding a place to park in the city center.

As noted by previous reviewers of this hotel, it is not in the "heart" of Aix, which we found to be a plus. The walk to the main street (which is beautiful but noisy) was easy and took maybe 15 minutes. Returning to the hotel was a like coming home to an oasis of calm and quiet after spending the day in the frenzy of the main part of town. We did not have dinner at the hotel; however, we had the breakfast buffet which was more than ample. Afterwards we had coffee in the garden where we enjoyed a glass of wine the evening before.

While this is a five star hotel there is nothing "stuffy" about it. It is however, understated elegance which makes it a very comfortable place to stay. Again, I would like to reiterate that the staff is discrete, gracious and very helpful which definitely added to the pleasure of our stay. It was difficult to leave and I look forward to returning to Aix if only to stay at Le Pigonnet.

Room Tip: I think any room in this small hotel would be wonderful but definitely one overlooking the pool or g...
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

I loved this hotel! It has so much charm and character. Our Deluxe room faced the pool and garden which is gorgeous. Our room was a very good size with a great bathroom and separate toilet.
Just wandering about the garden I felt so blessed to be there. The service was outstanding. We were treated so well by all the staff even though we knew no french.
We loved Aix en Provence. Big enough to have a great choice of places to eat but also small enough to have alot of charm.
We had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant. Quite pricey but the atmosphere more than made up for it out in the garden.
Yes the hotel is a 10-15 minute walk into town. It isn't a fantastic walk but I certainly wouldn't class it as a dodgy area of town. You see a lot of good looking uni students - not a bad sight :-) The hotel are always willing to drive you into town at a moments notice.
I am very fussy with hotels and this one "just felt so right". Everyday after being out upon arriving back at the hotel and driving up the driveway I felt like I had "come home"
Can't recommend it highly enough.
Thank you Le Pigonnet!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
lepigonnet, Director of Sales at Hotel Le Pigonnet, responded to this review, September 30, 2011
Dear Madam,
Thank you for your kind message, which I forwarded to all my colleagues.
We are very happy if we succeeded in making you feel "at home" while staying at Le Pigonnet, it means that we reached our goal.
Looking forward to welcoming you again.
Best regards.
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

My husband and I just returned from France and we stayed 2 nights at Le Pigonnet last week. One of the best things about it is that it is very easy to get to from the Autoroute, so you don't have to drive in downtown Aix, which unless you are very familiar with the town, it's very confusing with mostly underground parking and one way narrow streets in the old section of the city. The walk to the city center area takes about 15 minutes at the most. Other reviewers mentioned it being in a bad area & we did not feel it was - Aix is a college town and the hotel is near a campus so you do see lots of young people and pass some student housing when walking to the center of town. We walked back to the hotel each night after dinner in the dark with no problem. But if you have trouble walking or don't want to walk after dark, restaurants will call you a taxi. I would much rather stay where this hotel is than in the heart of Aix because the driving and parking there would be difficult.

The hotel itself is a stately older property that is attractive from the front but the best part is the back where they have a large garden area with many fountains, quiet seating areas, and a beautiful pool. On the day we arrived, the couple of people working at the front desk did not speak English very well, but during our stay there were others who spoke English very well- it was not a problem. We had a superior room on the 2nd floor in the back facing the gardens. Altho the lobby is a bit oddly decorated, and the carpet on the stairs and hallways showed some wear, our room was in perfect shape. It was large & beautifully decorated and the bathroom was very nice and modern. The minibar was complimentary but it just had beverages in it like bottled water & sodas, which we did appreciate having. Wi-fi was also free there.

We sadly did not have breakfast or dinner at the restaurant, but the restaurant looked beautiful and I believe they have a large breakfast buffet for 19E per person, which also included seating on the outdoor patio overlooking the gardens. We were always in a hurry to walk to town each morning and stopped for coffee & croissants at a PAUL location in the old town. However if we return to Le Pigonnet, we would like to have breakfast there at least once. Prior to our trip, I asked the hotel for restaurant recommendations then I read the reviews of the restaurants they told me about and I had them make reservations for us ahead of time. Since we arrived on a Sunday and many restaurants are closed, we ate at Le Poivre D'An in old town- it does not look like much on the outside during the day, but at night it was lovely with outdoor seating as well, and the food was great. I'll mention the other restaurant as well- 'Mitch'- and it was amazing as well.

I would highly recommend staying at Le Pigonnet- we have stayed at Villa Gallici in Aix which is a beautiful Relais & Chateaux property, but the cost is much, much more, so I feel Le Pigonnet is a good value for a very nice property.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask ahead of time for a room in the back facing the gardens- rooms in the front would fac...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Le Pigonnet? Share your experiences!