“Beautiful hotel- truly breathtaking” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Gallici

You added Villa Gallici to your Saves list
Villa Gallici
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   18 Avenue de la Violette, 13100 Aix-en-Provence, France   |
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Aix-en-Provence
London, England, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel- truly breathtaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This hotel is beautiful and is full of the charm one would expect in the South of France. The decor is breathtaking and the facilities fantastic. The attention to detail is outstanding and I would thoroughly recommend staying here if you are in the South of France. Location is great, the pool is beautiful and the welcoming glass of bubbles was a lovely touch.

Free wifi, in room coffee facilities (good ones at that), balcony overlooking the well kept grounds and fantastic service- would definitely return

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We recently visited Aix-en-Provence with friends from the US.

We were fortunate to spent five nights at Villa Gallici at the beginning of our trip. This is a lovely small hotel, set in a garden overlooking the city. It is an easy walk into town (heading back uphill is a bit of work -- but you have to work off the fromage somehow!!!).

The rooms are not contemporary -- really the opposite, which is our style, but we found them to have everything we needed. Our friends made the booking, and we found the style very French with a local charm and style. We had a large room with two patios and it was very comfortable.

The service was excellent, young and attentive with no request they could not handle. We ate meals on the terrace two nights and enjoyed breakfast every morning.

Oh, and don't miss the lemon madeleines in the entry. They are excellent and addictive.

Room Tip: We were up stairs and in the back, which was quite and very private
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

It would be a great property if it had more space, but they maxed out what they had.
The personnel were friendly and helpful. The deluxe room was small, but adequate. It had quality appointments with good Wi-Fi service. The breakfast buffet was beautifully presented and you could eat on the outdoor terrace. Fortunately, the hotel was close enough to town to enjoy fine dinner alternatives. It is probably your best choice close to town if you are not price sensitive.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Scarsdale, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

Villa Gallici is an extravagant hotel located in Axon-Provence, France designed to allow you to live the life of the rich and famous. It is gated,beautifully landscaped, and has superb service. I stayed in the duplex suite, which was immaculate, and kept spotless by the wonderful cleaning staff until the last day of my trip.
My stay was made enjoyable with the help of two lovely gentlemen, Antoine and Adrian.Antoine greeted me when I arrived at the hotel and continued to accommodate me throughout my trip. Adrian greeted me at the restaurant, and was extremely kind. Both Antoine and Adrian truly went above and beyond to help make my stay more enjoyable. The best part is- they did it all with a smile!
If I ever come back to Axon-Provence, I will definitely return to Villa Gallici, where I know I will be treated like royalty !

Stayed June 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for several days over the May Day holiday in 2014. We stayed in a deluxe room which was beautifully finished with a door to an outside courtyard and garden. The home is gorgeous and is situated in a quiet neighborhood about a ten or fifteen minute walk to the center of Aix. Villa Gallici has an excellent reputation for its food and we were not disappointed. The food and, particularly, the staff were just outstanding (your slightest wish is our command) and we had a lot of fun here with the staff as well. Nice room, nice food, and close to Aix where there is a lot to do. I would consider Villa Gallici as a good place to be the center of an exploratory trip around Provence. If you are looking for a romantic , quiet and comfortable getaway in Provence, with good food and great service, this is the place. The rooms are a little pricey but we felt that our three day, two night experience was well worth what we paid for it.

Room Tip: I believe that any of the rooms in Villa Gallici are comfortable and interesting. The hotel staff c...
Ascot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights. Firstly its location is on the outskirts of Aix up quite a steep hill so be prepared for a 10-15 min walk into town. It has lovely well maintained gardens and the interior decor of the hotel is very elegant. There is a relaxing ambience to the place which is good. The staff are friendly and helpful although they should have a bellboy on hand at all occasions to help with luggage - each time on arrival and departure we had to manage ourselves. Now for the quirks. In our room no.12 the air conditioning didn't work - it seems a common problem in some of the other reviews. Also the wifi didn't reach our room - maybe the walls are too thick. Breakfast selection was fairly poor for the price and you have to sit on very ornate chairs and tables designed for people 3 feet tall. It reminded me of sitting on Thameslink trains in London.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

Arriving at the wrought iron gate, which sometimes is slow to be answered, with the sharp slope into the tree lined property I felt I was entering a private aerie and it was.
Villa Gallici is a beautiful property that was lovingly laid out and is well maintained.
It reminds me somewhat of the Bel-Aire Hotel.
But as ingenious and caring the owners were when they built the property some decades ago, they could not overcome the physical limitation imposed on them and the rooms, though well done are SMALL. Unless you have a room with a terrace off it they can be claustrophobic. Some have their huge baths on the second floor. We were offered one but declined. Ours with a deck off it was well appointed and comfortable as long as the doors were open.
As caring as the designers were in the décor they were not into 21st Century life and the need for electric outlets and the Baglioni management, which currently runs the property, has done nothing to improve this.
I had the choice of the espresso maker of my computer at my desk and had to plug my I-phones across the narrow space at the foot of the bed. Plug in the night tables or lamps on the night tables on either side of the bed are really not an expensive solution.
The internet was week and did not work in some rooms. It is not costly to put router-extenders throughout the building, but just needs management to think of it.
The weather was not good during our stay so dining on the terrace was not possible. I found the chairs in the dining area not so low and too small, and the menu too heavy. I realize food is a personal choice but something smaller than the big dishes offered would have been appreciated.
It would also be nice if the property had a bar or library that guests could meet after dinner as opposed to talking between table or adjourning to ones small rooms.
The staff was friendly and we found efficient, though the light in one of our closets did not work and was not repaired despite being reported twice..
Town is at the foot of the property but while one can walk there, walking back is uphill. Cabs are easy to get but do not stay they thinking it is in town; it closely overlooks it.
I found Villa Gallici to be on balance a comfortable place and a perfect base from which to visit Aix.

Room Tip: 23 has a second floor huge bath but if you do not like climbing stairs at night avoid.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Gallici? Share your experiences!