“Left After Two Days, but at Least the Owner was Reasonable About it” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Domaine de la Roseraie

Domaine de la Roseraie
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Aix-en-Provence
Domaine de la Roseraie
325, chemin des Saint Peres, 13090 Aix-en-Provence, France   |
Paris
“Left After Two Days, but at Least the Owner was Reasonable About it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2008

The arrival was less than welcoming as, although we phoned ahead no one was there to greet us. We rang the owner and were told, the 'key was in the door'. Not a great start.

On entry, it was evident that the place had been cleaned, had freshly mopped floors and fresh linen was on the beds. It was only when you started to look around you saw how filthy things really were. There was dust on every surface that was obviously outside the cleaning contract of the maids. Cobwebs everywhere. Huge mould problem in the middle floor bathroom. Kitchen curtains were in shreds. Oven too filthy to contemplate using. Benchtop falling apart from damp. Dishwasher was full of bits of vegetables from the last occupant. Every dish we took out we had to wash before using. One cupboard was full of ants as the cleaners had left food from the previous tenant in the cupboard. In short, a nightmare. The place had been nicely kitted out about three years ago and then superficially cleaned and not maintained since then.

We rang the owner to complain and left a message. Then went out and bought some food for dinner (it was the Saturday evening of the weekend of the 15th of August - it was clear to me that we were not going to find another place that night). The owner arrived and without even introducing himself (I had to ask "Vous etes qui, monsieur?") offered to refund our deposit and we could leave immediately. While this was a fair offer, I explained that it was not possible for us to find accommodation that night and really we were stuck until Monday. He agreed we could stay until Monday, pay for the two nights out of the deposit. He even offered to clean the place on Monday again to our satisfaction to see if we wanted to stay. In short, he was reasonable. However he was very rude with it. I live in Paris, speak good French and deal with French people. He did not conduct himself with the decorum I would have expected. He was very aggressive, constantly made excuses for the state of things (it's apparently normal to have ants running through your kitchen in the country!!). I would suggest he learnt how to conduct a civil conversation.

If this review has not put you off yet, I would also give one practical warning about 'Les Lauriers'. It is in an old farmhouse with very steep, narrow stairs. I would therefore not suggest that you book this if you have small children or elderly people in your party. Oh, and the middle floor shower doesn't drain properly and leaks all over the stairs making it even more treacherous.

In short, not for us and we left as soon as we could.

• Liked — Owner reasonable, free internet
  • Disliked — Absolutely filthy. Rude owner.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
East Lothian
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2008

30 June 2008. My family have just returned from this georgeous rustic farmhouse just outside Aix in provence. I looked for information on this accomodation before I travelled and could find nothing, however I am now able to share with my fellow travellers that this venue is a real find. There were 5 adults and my 4 year old travelling. We stayed in the Lauriers, which comfortably can accommodate 8 people. The accommodation is part of a large house which also houses the owners, however we had plenty of privacy and could enjoy the wonderful mature gardens and pool with ease. For those with a family the pool is excellent - surrounded by grass and a border of fragrent lavender shrubs. There is plenty of basics in the house, fridge, washing machine, television and lots of space and wardrobes in the bedrooms. Great beds and hot running water all times of the day. We did not have a car, however there is a small bakery for your croissants and bread about 10 minutes walk away. The bus stop into AIx is also the same distance and with the help of the bus timetable you are quickly and easily able to get in and out of the town centre.
My family have enjoyed a fantastic fortnight here as I am sure you will see from the photos (the weather always helps!)

Been to Domaine de la Roseraie? Share your experiences!