“My Hamburger Was Totally Underdone & Cold...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Fontenay-le-Comte, France
“My Hamburger Was Totally Underdone & Cold...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

... which was fine by me, because it was actually a steak tartare. A steak tartare, for me, is a real acid test of any restaurant. For a start, being a plate of raw meat, one does have to have a fair degree of confidence in the establishment's ability not to poison one, but more than that, so often what is presented is a raw hamburger, devoid of seasoning or flavour and completely unappetising.

This, on the other hand, was exactly right: chopped rather than minced (minced steak tartare is an unforgivable abomination) well moistened with egg yolk, well seasoned with capers, onion, pepper & salt and just a touch of chilli. It was served very simply with fried potatoes and a green salad and may well have been the best I have eaten in a restaurant.

My companion had duck breast served with grapes and a rosti potato cake. Someone had taken the trouble to peel the grapes and the duck was perfectly pink.

Desserts were also good - brioche pain perdu with salted caramel icecream; the cheese plate I had was well balanced and was most definitely not the usual supermarket fare but supplied by someone who knew what they were doing.

Overall, with three glasses of wine apiece (lushes!) and coffee, the bill came in at €60 - ore than fair for the quality of the meal, service and ambiance.

My score for La Petite Auberge is actually a 4.8. It would be five except for one tiny detail: why offer a rather unpleasant industrial bakery cookie complete with palm oil and fake choc chips with the coffee at the end of an otherwise perfect meal? Bizarre. Still, we'll go back.

• Visited November 2012

Reading, UK
“Not to be missed! A superb meal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We went to La Petite Auberge on the first evening of our long weekend in La Rochelle. We chose the restaurant on the basis of the excellent Trip Advisor reviews. We were definitely not disappointed. We arrived early, whch was just as well as we hadn't booked and I would certainly advise booking a table in order not to be disappointed. The welcome was really friendly and we were immediately made to feel like regulars, not just tourists. In fact, from what I saw of the clientele, the restaurant attracts as many locals as it does visitors, both French and other nationalities. The menu was excellent: great choice, imaginative and a little bit 'different' without being absurd. It was good value for money as well. Service was prompt and, even though the restaurant was busy, our waitress was happy to stop for a moment to chat about the restaurant and the menu. The food was delicious: I had the most beautifully fresh piece of cod which was succulent and cooked to perfection. We must also recommend very highly the foie gras ice cream, which comes as part of a starter. All in all, we were very tempted to eat here on every night of our visit (unfortunately the restaurant is closed on Sunday evenings) and, in retrospect, I wish that we had!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Excellent Food and Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We had a great dinner here. Lovely atmosphere, good service. The oysters were a real stand out and the fixed priced menu is good value as well.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had read the good reviews online and did not want to fall into a tourist trap in La Rochelle, La Petite Auberge did not disappoint. Great food with excellent combinations, nicely presented and good service. Definitely recommend the cuttlefish starter.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Beautiful and Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and i went to this little resturant end of September (25/09/12). I had read good reports, and the menu looked good. We were not disappointed. We had a three course meal, all top notch stuff, good quality ingredients, well presented, well cooked and with flavours well put together. The wine we chose was excellent and well chilled. It was open to see straight into the kitchen where the staff were buzy chopping, frying etc. The staff were efficient and good, the service excellent without being smarmy. The three course meal was e29.00 which was well worth it. It was fantastic and ive even come away with flavour combination ideas to try at home, which for me is an real bonus. There are a lot of resturants in this street and we tried another couple and this was deffinately the best.