“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of le bateau ivre

le bateau ivre
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Returned to this restaurant whist on holiday this year. Have to say it was disappointing. Had a set menu three course lunch. Food average, service not very good. Having visited many time before and enjoyed, came away feeling let down.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Herts
“Good tasty food - reasonable value for location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Ate here whilst on day trip to La Rochelle - early evening. Consequently hardly anybody eating when we arrived, but had filled up a bit by the time we left. 3 course fixed price menu for €14.90 was good value for the location on the keyside. Calamaris starter was excellent and Duck a l'orange was good too. Service fine - acceptable with no problems - their English about as bad as my French so not much chance for social interaction, but no problems ordering or with speed and accuracy of service. Would go again if in the location.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London
“Nice place, great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Dropped in here for the set menu three course lunch, which was very good value at €14.90. The sardines, in particular, were excellent. We also had a 50cl bottle of very pleasant Ile de Re white wine for €11.90. Service was friendly and efficient. We sat inside and enterained ourselves reading the Rimbaud quotations on the walls.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
“AVOID AVOID AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

Just back from La Rochelle and had agreat time the only kill joy was eating in this restaurant. We have been to La Rochelle before and had great Muscles !! Not here ..... how can they get them so wrong ! The waitress was extremely rude and pretended she did not speak one word of english! Which was fine as we can get by on our french! She seemed to be able to speak it on other tables though which we found odd! We ordered and our meal came very quickly ..... alittle too quick it was slammed on the table with no pleasantries!!!! No bread was offered and no water! Other tables were been seen to as usual ???? I cannot think how we offended the restaurant as we only asked for a table and sat down and ordered our food !! The muscles came with limited sauce and had no taste only salt water residue at the bottom of the dishes. We finished our 26 euro bottle of wine and paid . The food and staff were very poor and frankly a disgrace ! I never complain I very much take it as an experience and move on but I was really disgusted with this restaurant! You do not deserve any custom especially people on their hols!

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Good food on first night, long wait on second night!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

On the first night I had the Sole and it was ok but not comparible to the 23euro price. I ate the strawberry ice cream which was huge and reminded me of the knickerbocker glory's I used to eat in Wimpy aged 4 - excellent! 7/10

The next night I ordered a creamy seafood dish which was average at best. Service was slow and waiters seemed to look past me whenever I wanted thir attention. I must have said "Garcon" at least 12 times. In fact on asking for the bill there was a twenty minute wait, which comnprised of flailing arms in order to get somebody's attention to pay!! Not impressed and therefore no tip - always makes me wonder why restaurants don't have a "lookout" like they do in China who watches the floor and immediately sends a waiter or waitress over to a customer when they put up their hand.

Also, on ordering tea they only had Earl Grey - not even Lipton English breakfast. Can any of these restaurants go and get Twining's Assam or English breakfast? We're not all coffee drinkers. 4/10

total 5.5/10