“A personal island getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Blue Star Dive Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ipo, Candabong | Bohol, Anda 6311, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Anda
manila
“A personal island getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Blue Star Dive Resort Is a small paradise oasis in the beautiful unspoiled region of Anda in Bohol. This little pocket of paradise is a magical location for anyone searching for an isolated getaway in this beautiful unspoiled region of the island.
Its almost like having your own personal island getaway. Blue Star is a luxurious little resort with 5 star quality amenities. Family owned and run by two professional divers, Blue Star offers superb food and an atmosphere that is nothing less than divine. The all inclusive menu offers an eclectic variety of dishes of the highest quality. All this framed by the majestic scenery and the splendid waterfront view that serves as a backdrop for beautiful candlelight dinner or a late afternoon lunch.
Blue Star also offers various diving tours and excursions throughout the region. Overall, it's an amazing experience for a very reasonable price. My highest recommendation for this beautiful resort.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

If you are looking for an idyllic, un-crowded, un-commercialised setting, then look no further, this really is a lovely area of the island. The resort is very pretty, and the hosts always on hand to cater to your every whim and handle any questions, they welcome you so warmly you are instantly made to feel at home.

We stayed in a bungalow, the standard and style is rustic, bathroom adequate and clean, my friend found it a bit dated,The views from our bungalow out onto the ocean made the room perfect in my view. The water pressure in our shower was an issue, the shower was just a slight drip, i never reported the issue, as I anticipated the island was likely still emerging in terms of modern faciliities. There was a power outage for a few minutes one night this added to my excitment and reinforced I was in the tropics, and in an uncommercialised, still emerging part of the world.

Food: The board basis is flexible so you can add dinner or remove it as per your needs. There is no bar or restaurant culture in this area of the island, so you need to consider you will likely stay in the resort. The resort staff ask guests to specify the day before what they want from the dinner menu, we found having to decide what to eat for dinner the day before eating a bit of a headache, who knows what we will fancy tomorrow! In terms of the cuisine standard, my holiday friend’s appetite was never satisfied and she often felt hungry. Not the case for me, but a couple of times the standard of cooking left something to be desired with a couple of meals being over cooked, very dry and not very nice. They also forgot our breakfast once and we waited over an hour, but hey ho that’s island life and part of the charm sometimes. As soon as we commented to the manager - our breakfast arrived pronto, which was great, and a little amusing too, as we guessed the kitchen staff were royally reprimanded

The resort organised a boat trip to a nearby island and nature reserve, I was allowed to climb the cave chamber by the guide, it was the best trip I’ve been on in ages, the boat staff were amazing! No child life jackets aboard though, so something they need to address for the future.

If I travelled on my own I would be a bit mindful of the tension and stark contrast of tourist wealth compared to lack of wealth amongst locals. The resort and all the neighbouring resorts are fortressed, to prevent crime, this works well, however I am an independent female traveller and like to nose around. I am not sure the Philippines are as safe as I would like for a girl travelling alone, I fear I may be a target for theft. I never felt threatened once, but can see if a tourist is not mindful, locals may be tempted to opportunistic crime and an unsuspecting tourist may fall prey. I saw no evidence of this but the contrast between tourists and locals was evident, outside the resort and this created some discomfort. I Would love to revisit both the resort and the island again, I had a fantastic holiday and can’t wait to revisit with more friends, it was perfect everything I expected. My thanks to all the staff.
I hope you find my review helpful and balanced.

Room Tip: Bungalows great for views, but if you dont like rustic go for the new poolside rooms with all the mo...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Patrick R, Manager at Blue Star Dive Resort, responded to this review, February 16, 2012
Thank you so much for this very fair review!
I remember that breakfast :)
Regarding the food we hired already one additional cock and right now the quality is already improved, also the choices are more now.
The Philippines is for sure a poor country, but also as single lady traveler it is super safe and nothing will happen outside the resort.

Have a great day!
patrick
Uppsala, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2012

We stayed for 5 nights in the middle of January 2012. We were the first guest to stay at the hotel under the management. We were treated as VIP and the service was great. We got our first diving lessons and also went for a couple of dives. This is a great place for divers, but also for relaxing. If they only had a sand beach this would be the ultimate accomodation. The view is amazing. We would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

We had a very nice experience at blue star. The best so far in our 2 months travelling around the Philipinnes. The new team is dynamique, prompt to respond to any request yet not pushy. Patrick, Jerrianne, Diggi & Val, thanks for your generosity.
Food is great. Plated, not buffet style. An expresso machine, warm toast made of whole wheat bread!
We spent 3 days in the coral garden right down the resort.. Alone... Magnifique! Great team & equipment: #1.
Pool, jacuzzi & sunset at the end of the day.. What else... Great massage! Really.
Nothing special about the rooms but clean & confortable.
Stéphan Boucher

• Stayed January 2012
Beijing, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here towards the end of January, the photos on the website don't do justice to this property, the views from the bungalow balcony are amazing!
We traveled with friends who have a 9 yr old and it was even great for him.
The resort is under new management and they really go out of the way to help you with everything.
If you plan on visiting Bohol, skip Alona beach and go directly to Anda and stay at blue dive star, it is really an amazing experience.
Have a mango margarita for me in the jacuzzi overlooking the ocean:)

Room Tip: any of the stand-alone bungalows, the view beats the AC anyday
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2011

We found this excellent resort when we rented a bike at another resort... the next day we moved in and stayed almost a week. Excellent service, good quality of housing/food/swimming pool.
Every day a suprise dinner that was always excellent. A lot of space and the cleanest pool we have seen during our holliday.
The staff helped us planning our travel, arranged tickets, hotel bookings... excellent. Service of a level that you would not expect for this price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

I have come to know of BlueStar Dive and Resort when I googled for the best place in Bohol. Based on the pictures, the place was really lovely. So we decided to go for it, after so much hesitation on my part as I was wondering if it is safe there as the place is a bit far from the city proper.

And Glad that we decided to come.

Everything was great. Colin and his wife were so friendly, as well as Michael who manages the beach. Staff were most helpful.

The sight was breathtaking. The resort sits on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. Our room had an ocean view. It is clean, quite, private, and so romantic. We are already planning our return trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Blue Star Dive Resort? Share your experiences!