“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
Save up to 20% when you reserve online *
Les Menestrels is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 96 Restaurants in Saumur
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
horsham
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We expected great things from the restaurant when we saw the beautiful room, the starched table linen and the restaurant full with French people. However there were two people covering around 20 tables and service was slow- it took an age for the wine list, wine, menus, bread to arrive and the food was not piping hot when it was presented.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“Lovely Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

We found this restaurant in the Michelin guide and thought we would try it on our stay in Saumer.

They had a great vlaue two course meal for €27.50 each and the food was lovely.

The servivce was also very good. The best thing about the restaurant was the room itself. It is such a lovely room to eat it.

The wine list was very comprehensive, and the waiter was helpful in helping us choose a local bottle.

I would recommend it.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida
“peace and harmony”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Beautiful restaurant with great service and delicious memorable food. Young servers with delightful poise and good taste. The surroundings are so tasteful and the mood is peaceful yet with a sense of control and management.

Visited July 2012
Arnhem, The Netherlands
“Poisoned”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is a true story!
Had a very bad experience in July 2012 in this restaurant for 120 euro !!!!! First of all the service was quite bad. After sending back the second (main)dish I ordered instead the same dish as my wife wich was more or less agreable. We paid polite and went to our hotel. Bad experience we said to each other, but this can happen. That night I was so sick that I threw up everything I had in my body, with vomiting, abdominal cramping, and diarrhea. I clearly was foodpoisoned (I had only eaten the food from this restaurant). Thought I was dying.
The next day I went back to Les Menestrels to tell what had happened. The owner was not there so I spoke to the chief-cook. He wouldn't really listen to me and as I insisted that the cause of my illness was their meal, he became agressive to me and wanted to hit me. Fortunately the waiter came inbetween us, so I was not harmed. As you understand I was comepletely knocked of my feet by this reaction. I never ever had such an experience in any restaurant before! Actually, I think that the poisoning was done deliberately for sure, though I can't prove it. Be carefull if you ever plan to go to this restaurant!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited July 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“beautiful room, overpriced small portions”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We returned to this restaurant after having had a good meal last year. However, this year the food was poor and overpriced. Nouvelle cuisine taken to an extreme and we were left feeling hungry. The bread wasn't served until just before the desert and some of the "hot" meals were only lukewarm. The room is exquisite but we will not return as we paid over £100 for only 2 courses each (we did not want to risk a third) with wine and coffee.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere