“Excellent food, popular with the locals. Excellent Value.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 92 Restaurants in Saumur
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Caterham, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, popular with the locals. Excellent Value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This restaurant as it turns out is a few doors away from L'Escargot, which is an equally fine restaurant. As I have not tried this restaurant before I thought I would give it a go.
We went in Lunchtime (midweek) and chose to have the 28 euro menu rather than the 15 or 18.50 lunchtime offerings.
All of the courses were very good. The rabbit in my opinion was superb, and I would definitely return for that course alone. The wine list has plenty of local wines; we chose a 50cl bottle of St. Nicolas Rose which complimented the food.
The service was excellent. Although not needed for me, the owner (I assume it was the owner) spoke some English and was more than helpful in simply explaining some of the courses. We arrived in good time, and shortly afterwards the restaurant filled up with business lunch locals, which is an excellent sign. 3 courses, 2 coffees, a 50cl bottle of wine, for two people, 79.50 euros all in. I was more than happy with the meal, and will look to return in the future.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Dublin, Ireland
“An excellent touch of modernity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

My wife and I decided to give L'Aromate a chance on a whim. We arrived with no reservation slightly after prime dining time with no reservation. This was not a problem and we were accommodated with no fuss. The staff was more than happy to see us. We had a wonderful view of the kitchen staff at work and sat back to make our choices and enjoy the modern, but welcoming surrounds with a glass of Saumur sparkling. In terms of pricing, dining a la carte can prove more expensive than the Menu A Formule options. We were feeling opulent and opted for the 4 course option. Variety across all four was excellent and portion size did not seem to diminish based on our decision to go for the set menu. Suffice to say we were both on our way to loosening belt notches by the time cheese arrived. My wife enjoyed her dinner so much, she told the waiting staff that she wanted to kiss the chef. They duly told him. As we were sitting on the other side of the glass from him, could see him blush. I would highly recommend L'Aromate. While it is a slight meander away from the heart of Saumur, it is worth the effort. They have purposely set themselves apart from the local competition with their interior and menu choices. And I am pretty sure the maitre d' is David Bowie, if not his long lost twin.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Princeton, Illinois
“Fresh and innovative dining.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Quaint and warm place. Nice owners. I think we were lucky to get a table. They were turning people away shortly after we sat down. The menu is unique and limited with delightful selections of fish,meat,duck, etc. nice wine list. Do not pass on dessert! Amazing desserts! If you are in Saumur, try this fabulous little restaurant. It does not disappoint!

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Toronto, Canada
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This small resto is beautifully renovated in a modern style. The staff were professional and eager to please. But best of all was the food. Well designed menu offering a wide choice of prix fixe or a la carte and specials. Portion size was large and the kitchen produced some of the best fois gras, salads, mains and desert I had on the entire holiday.

Visited October 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Very nice meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

42 Rue Maréchal Leclerc 49000 SAUMUR
Tél. : 02 41 51 31 45 E-mail : laromate@bbox.fr

First Impressions
The restaurant is a small modern chic and stylish place located just a short walk from the center of Saumur. The staff are very welcoming and they spoke good enough English to help my wife and I through the evening. The owner and chef is Laurent Chauvagne who, I was informed , is an outstanding French chef. He was very modest.

The Food & Service
The menu was small, simple but full of tasty surprises. We eat the following;
START - Fois Gras with mushrooms Palma Ham & a cream sauce. Smoked Salmon Salad with a basil dressing and chive crème French.
MAIN – Duck with bean sprouts, thin sliced potatoes & goat’s cheese in filo pastry spring roll with roasted new potatoes and broad beans & broccoli.
Sirloin Steak with seasonal potatoes and broccoli florets and broad beans.
DESERT – Chocolate fondant with strawberries cream & strawberry sorbet. Crème Brule
The service was very good and the waitress was very helpful. The food was very good it was well presented and full of flavour.

Overall
This restaurant was recommended to me whilst I was visiting Saumur and I was not disappointed. It was good traditional and hearty French food full of flavor and the staff were helpful and polite. There was a party here on the night we visited which added to the great atmosphere in the restaurant.

Service- 8/10