My partner and I stayed in Mercure Angers Centre Foch for 4 nights when I attended a conference in Angers in early July. The hotel location was good, right in the centre, and easy to walk to most places. The nearest parking costed 14.50 euro a day. The car park was about 3 minutes walk from the hotel. It was not too far to walk to, but far enough to be annoying when you got lots of luggages.
During the first two days of our stay, we noticed that we both got bitten a lot. Since the bites were everywhere (on the legs, arms, back, neck...), we believed that we must have been bitten at night in the hotel. On our third night of stay, after some online research, we followed the instruction and unfortunately found a bed bug in our bed. The receptionist seemed genuinely shocked when we reported this, and she immediately arranged another room for us. We were ungraded to a better room (from no coffee machine and no fridge to a coffee machine and a fridge, and from 2 paper cups only to 2 ceramic cups plus 2 paper cups...hooray!). In the following morning, the manager came to our old room (room 118, in case you want to know) with a claimed expert (we insisted that they needed to call a pest control company to check the room, but we were not convinced that the person was actually from a pest control company). Unfortunately, we found a habitat of bed bugs in the bed base. The hotel then offered to wash all of our clothes in order to remove the bed bugs and eggs, since our luggages had been in the room for over 72 hours at that point. Once we gave them our clothes, we headed out to do whatever we had to do on that day. When we came back to the hotel in the late evening (this was our last night of stay, Saturday night), our clothes were nowhere to be seen. We had to ring the reception, but were initially told that our laundry would be ready by Monday morning. It was quite shocking, as we were scheduled to leave the hotel on Sunday. After explaining that to the reception, they then promised to deliver our clothes to our room on Sunday morning. The laundry did arrive the next morning, but it was still a little damp (maybe because they had to rush it).
Following the online instruction about bed bugs, we emptied our suitcases and bags to shake them in the bathroom in order to check if any bed bug went into our luggages. Annoyingly, we found 2 more bed bugs from our bags. There might or might not be more bed bugs in our bags, but we did not want to risk it. Determined not to bring any bed bug home, we told the hotel that we could not possibly keep using our bags. The hotel could not get us some replacement suitcases and bags, as it was a Sunday when no shop was open. The hotel promised to reimburse the cost of the replacement bags. Despite feeling extremely annoyed and stressed, we had to continue our trip with our belongings in about 15 sealed plastic bags. (I felt like a homeless person when I carried the plastic bags to the car!)
When we got home, we washed all our clothes again in 60 degrees and cleaned things that cannot go into the washing machine with steam. Apart from that, we had to use a insect fumer in the car, which made the car sting for a couple of days.What a nightmare.
Overall, it was a terrible experience due to the bed bugs. We did not feel that the hotel manager believed us when we reported the bed bugs in our room in the first place. When we emailed the hotel regarding how they can sort out the cost of getting the replacement bags, there was no reply. After 4 days of no response, we rang the hotel, but the reception did not seem to understand what we were talking about and just promised to get the manager to call us back. Shockingly, there was no phone call from them.
The existence of bed bugs does not refer to poor cleaning. Any hotel guest can bring bed bugs in, and the bed bugs can hide in the bed base or other places. However, we are very disappointed about how the hotel deals with situation. During the stressful stay, we were pretty much on our won. We never received a formal apology or assistance (apart from the the laundry that returned damp). Hence, we do not feel that they really care about their customers. We would not stay there ever again, and would not recommend it to anyone.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.