“I love it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 52 Hotels in Rouen
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“I love it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The outside of the hotel look like a cathedral but interior designs are quite modern,, i like the bar's layout, big space high ceiling with only few coaches and coffee tables; i felt relaxed and comfortable to have my whisky; the room we stayed is fantastic ;a king-size bed in good space with high ceiling, the newly renovated bathroom is just beautiful ,with its separated toilet; we really love the room and enjoyed our stay,,, may be it was a Sunday lack of personals , the receptionist had to take care of our luggages,parked our car and helped us check in,, but they were all very friendly with good manners and speak English well,, its pity we didn't have time to us the spa,- next time- for sure!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Everything was perfect in the hotel.
Check in was a breeze, the rooms were the best.
The place itself was beautiful ; from chateau to more modern amenities.
The location was ideal, once the car was parked (by expert valets), we walked in the interesting town.
Breakfast is not included, unless you are Marriott Gold member and then you can have a nice continental breakfast at the bar.

Room Tip: We had a "privilege" romm
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I booked this hotel, for a one night sleep-over, the day before we left Amsterdam on a road-trip to the Loire.
When we arrived, - after 11pm, and then realized we might have a problem to park our car. It was a mini-van and the size is rather awkward. Within minutes the bellman took our bags, and kindly offered to take our car and park it in a secure area - behind the hotel. The staff is incredibly helpful and friendly.
The hotel inside is modern in some ways. The bedrooms are spacious, the beds comfortable.
The location was perfect. A short walk to the magnificent Rouen Cathedral and the Joan of Arc Memorial Cross where she was burnt at the stake.
Rue du Gros Horloge, the old city's main thoroughfare runs from there - a lovely walk with cute shops etc.
I'd love to return one day and spend more time in Rouen. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Leuven
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The building itself is extraorinary: a fabulous historical building at a few steps of the Vieux Marché. Is has some astunishing modern features: the large swimming pool in the basements, the reception room in the central hall.
We had a junior suite that was realy big with high sealings, but with the disadvantage that it was hard to get it warm enough. We've got a strange explanation that there was a maximum temperature set for the whole hotel.
Breakfast was OK, but not super compared to other 5 star hotels. The staff at the breakfastroom seamed to be overworked or had other activities. We had to ask for coffee ourselves.
At one occasion we sat next to two managers of the Marriot-chain who discussed loudly their objectives, their strategies and their ways of doring business.
The desk service was perfect: check-in, car valet, check-out.
The hotel is perfectly situated to visit the historical centre of Rouen.

Room Tip: avoid the junior suite in colder periods
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three days during the middle of October 2013.

I took the train from Paris to Rouen. It was a very easy well marked 15 minute walk from the train station to the hotel.

The check-in was quick and painless. I have mid tier Marriott elite status. The gentleman that checked me in escorted me to my room. The room was very warm and I asked how to work the A/C. He told me the A/C had already been set to heat because of the time of year. I reminded him it was still in the upper 70s and I could not tolerate this hot room. He said he would speak to the maintenance department. Within 30 minutes the room had cooled down significantly:)

The gentlemen who checked me in also set up my password for the wifi. It took about 15 minutes. Because I had read the previous reviews, I knew to request the coffee and tea service. It was delivered within the hour by the head of housekeeping. I found out later, this is part of her responsibility not the daily housekeeping staff.

The room was large and warmly decorated. The only piece of furniture that seemed out of place was the clear plastic desk chair. The bathroom was located up three steps but this was not a problem. I had lots of towels. My room had a large shower which I prefer. Lots of hot water very quickly. Dual sinks. I did not use the TV but it was large. The room was very quiet and overlooked the front courtyard. There was an in room safe and fridge. A complimentary bottle of Evian was replenished everyday.
The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable.

As an elite I was served a light breakfast each morning in the beautiful bar. This included a cappuccino and lots of croissants and pastries. I am not a juice drinker so I did not ask for juice. The croissants and pastries were from the awesome bakery next door. You were offered whatever type of coffee drink you wanted. Almost a month later and I still remember the pastries/croissants;)

I did treat myself to a facial in the beautiful spa. Sandrine gave me a facial that was absolutely wonderful. It is on my top 5 facials list!

I did not use the pool or the sauna. The pool looked beautiful. Learn from my mistake........Don't forget your swimming suit!!!

The bar was beautiful. It seemed to be very popular in the evening.

The location of the hotel was great. I was able to easily walk to all the sights in Rouen. I never used public transportation. Until I checked out, I did not know Rouen had a metro system.

Checkout was quick and painless and the total I owed matched my calculations exactly.

The front desk staff was efficient and used my name frequently. They always said Bon jour or Bon soir when I passed the front desk. This is not a warm and fuzzy front desk staff which is fine with me. My questions were answered quickly and correctly which is all I need in a 5 star hotel. I hope you don't get the wrong impression about the staff. They were great, just not the type to give you a hug when you leave:)

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect as it is on the beautiful Place de la Pucelle and just a two minute walk from the Vieux Marche. It is right in the old town and close to all the historic locations and good restaurants. The hotel is in an extraordinary old building with a gorgeous facade and lovely updated interior. The rooms are large by French standards and very comfortable and attractive. Our room looked onto the Place de la Pucelle but noise did not keep us awake as the room was very quiet once the windows were closed. The breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced and the staff was friendly and competent. We were really delighted with our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

If the hotel were as good as its buildings this would be a remarkable place to stay: the courtyard really is exquisite. Our room, though comfortable, was a little disappointing in size and the view on to the square outside proved a mixed blessing as late night noise penetrated even industrial strength earplugs. We didn't take the breakfast so can only comment that it seemed very expensive, but we did enjoy use of the lovely indoor pool which was included in the room price.

We would probably stay here again on revisiting Rouen but would not take a room facing out.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing onto the square in front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel de Bourgtheroulde? Share your experiences!