“great historical building in the centre of Rouen” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Rouen
Leuven
“great historical building in the centre of Rouen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

The building itself is extraorinary: a fabulous historical building at a few steps of the Vieux Marché. Is has some astunishing modern features: the large swimming pool in the basements, the reception room in the central hall.
We had a junior suite that was realy big with high sealings, but with the disadvantage that it was hard to get it warm enough. We've got a strange explanation that there was a maximum temperature set for the whole hotel.
Breakfast was OK, but not super compared to other 5 star hotels. The staff at the breakfastroom seamed to be overworked or had other activities. We had to ask for coffee ourselves.
At one occasion we sat next to two managers of the Marriot-chain who discussed loudly their objectives, their strategies and their ways of doring business.
The desk service was perfect: check-in, car valet, check-out.
The hotel is perfectly situated to visit the historical centre of Rouen.

Room Tip: avoid the junior suite in colder periods
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for three days during the middle of October 2013.

I took the train from Paris to Rouen. It was a very easy well marked 15 minute walk from the train station to the hotel.

The check-in was quick and painless. I have mid tier Marriott elite status. The gentleman that checked me in escorted me to my room. The room was very warm and I asked how to work the A/C. He told me the A/C had already been set to heat because of the time of year. I reminded him it was still in the upper 70s and I could not tolerate this hot room. He said he would speak to the maintenance department. Within 30 minutes the room had cooled down significantly:)

The gentlemen who checked me in also set up my password for the wifi. It took about 15 minutes. Because I had read the previous reviews, I knew to request the coffee and tea service. It was delivered within the hour by the head of housekeeping. I found out later, this is part of her responsibility not the daily housekeeping staff.

The room was large and warmly decorated. The only piece of furniture that seemed out of place was the clear plastic desk chair. The bathroom was located up three steps but this was not a problem. I had lots of towels. My room had a large shower which I prefer. Lots of hot water very quickly. Dual sinks. I did not use the TV but it was large. The room was very quiet and overlooked the front courtyard. There was an in room safe and fridge. A complimentary bottle of Evian was replenished everyday.
The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable.

As an elite I was served a light breakfast each morning in the beautiful bar. This included a cappuccino and lots of croissants and pastries. I am not a juice drinker so I did not ask for juice. The croissants and pastries were from the awesome bakery next door. You were offered whatever type of coffee drink you wanted. Almost a month later and I still remember the pastries/croissants;)

I did treat myself to a facial in the beautiful spa. Sandrine gave me a facial that was absolutely wonderful. It is on my top 5 facials list!

I did not use the pool or the sauna. The pool looked beautiful. Learn from my mistake........Don't forget your swimming suit!!!

The bar was beautiful. It seemed to be very popular in the evening.

The location of the hotel was great. I was able to easily walk to all the sights in Rouen. I never used public transportation. Until I checked out, I did not know Rouen had a metro system.

Checkout was quick and painless and the total I owed matched my calculations exactly.

The front desk staff was efficient and used my name frequently. They always said Bon jour or Bon soir when I passed the front desk. This is not a warm and fuzzy front desk staff which is fine with me. My questions were answered quickly and correctly which is all I need in a 5 star hotel. I hope you don't get the wrong impression about the staff. They were great, just not the type to give you a hug when you leave:)

I would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect as it is on the beautiful Place de la Pucelle and just a two minute walk from the Vieux Marche. It is right in the old town and close to all the historic locations and good restaurants. The hotel is in an extraordinary old building with a gorgeous facade and lovely updated interior. The rooms are large by French standards and very comfortable and attractive. Our room looked onto the Place de la Pucelle but noise did not keep us awake as the room was very quiet once the windows were closed. The breakfast was delicious and reasonably priced and the staff was friendly and competent. We were really delighted with our stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

If the hotel were as good as its buildings this would be a remarkable place to stay: the courtyard really is exquisite. Our room, though comfortable, was a little disappointing in size and the view on to the square outside proved a mixed blessing as late night noise penetrated even industrial strength earplugs. We didn't take the breakfast so can only comment that it seemed very expensive, but we did enjoy use of the lovely indoor pool which was included in the room price.

We would probably stay here again on revisiting Rouen but would not take a room facing out.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing onto the square in front of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed four nights. The evening staff was too young and not customer oriented. We pulled our sheets back the first evening and there was a lot of human hair on bottom of top cover as well as fresh stains. Looked like someone lived on that cover for a week. Demanded clean linens immediately and would have checked out immediately but didn't know another hotel to go to.Our t.v. did not work half the time we were there and whenever we called downstairs (evening managers) they would tell us to fix it. My husband worked on it the first night for 20 minutes and then we called again. Young guy came up and of course he had no clue what was wrong. Air conditioner would stop working and had to call to get them to reboot. On checkout our bill over charged us 44 euro for breakfast which we did not have and should have been two coffees for six euros. elevator nearest our room worked about half the time much like the television. The first night we requested two extra pillows and were told by night desk clerk they were in closet and of course they were not. Called again to tell young night managers we had no extra pillows in our closet. Whenever we called we felt they were condescending.if we knew of another hotel in same location we would probably checked out our first night particularly after the soiled linen episode which was gross. this hotel is definitely not a five star more like a three star but maybe this is what is considered a five star in Rouen? we were paying for a prestige rate room rate which is was over three hundred a night and more for friday evening. Excellent location for walking which was the brighter side of our stay. At night no senior staff which is an issue.

• Stayed October 2013
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Getting to the hotel was quite a chore until we decided to just put the car right in front of the hotel's entrance in a pedestrian only zone. The architecture was amazing and it was great to see that they had been successful in marrying the two structures ( the old outer shell and the ultra modern lobby/bar/spa area) together and make you feel that staying here would be an experience out of the ordinary. The staff at the front desk was efficient and friendly. Our room was modern with spacious bathroom and a great shower. Lots of modern touches such as the dimmable and changeable color scheme LED lighting both in the bathroom and bedroom was quite nice. The spa and pool area was over the top but very nice. Swimming around and watching people walk above you in the bar area was definitely not something that you'd expect when you check into that 16th century structure. One of my favorite things about the hotel is the fact that little tour groups visit it and are allowed to marvel at the past of the building. This to me is the only way to do this kind of project. Way too many structures, one purchased and transformed into luxury hotels are out of the public's grasp. The hotel Bourgtheroulde was successful in avoiding this. Thanks to the staff for a wonderful stay, this is my go-to hotel if ever in Rouen. Merci mes amis

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

We recently stayed at this very attractive looking hotel,unfortunately we where very disappointed with our stay, the breakfast was one of the worst I have ever experienced, so poor and uninviting that I had a coffee and juice.
When we arrived at the hotel there was a corporate function in progress, 3 hours after it had finished there where still dirty glasses and stale canapés left on tables. Overall just not what we are used to in a 5 star hotel, lots of confusion when we arrived by car nobody around at the front of the hotel to assist. Upon checkout I mentioned to the reception how terrible the breakfast had been and the response was we look forward to welcoming you back, total disinterest. I feel the hotel seriously needs to re look at its staff training program and quickly.

• Stayed October 2013

Been to Hotel de Bourgtheroulde? Share your experiences!