“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La voile bleue

La voile bleue
58 Rue des Sauveteurs | Numero de la Suite, Intersection, Place, 76600 Le Havre, France
+33 7 82 14 05 70
Dining options: Late Night
paris
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were very well looked after, the food was really excellent, the atmosphere was very pleasant.
Highly recommanded.

• Visited October 2012

• Polish first
Sevenoaks
“Do you believe in Providence?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

When we visit a new town I sometimes use TripAdvisor for suggestions of where to eat and sometimes we just wander about. On this particular Tuesday we were in Le Havre, which is a place we used to pass through regularly over twenty years ago, but have never spent much time in. All we wanted was a light lunch.

We looked at several brasseries but they either didn’t offer seafood or they weren't busy enough. So we headed for the seafront and found La Voile Bleue entirely by chance. The second we walked in we knew we had struck gold. The place was heaving. It only has space for 32 covers and we got the last table but one. All the other diners were locals - always a good sign in France.

Madame, the owner, and her other waiter were so rushed off their feet that it was several minutes before we even got a menu. And yet it didn't matter. This was the perfect little bistro - the one you'll remember for the rest of your life.

I had 12 oysters followed by the best fish soup I've had in years. My other half wanted a crab, but Madame said she didn't have any more so she had 12 crevettes roses instead.

We enjoyed the meal so much that we asked Madame if she would have any crabs the next day. When she said yes we immediately reserved a table and she told us the reservation was in the name of M. et Mme Anglais!

It was only at that point that I looked at my downloaded list of Le Havre restaurants and found that La Voile Bleue is number two out of 166! Providence or what?

I mentioned this to Madame and you could see she was so proud of that. She said the number one was an expensive gastronomic delight and incredibly they, little they, were number two!

But it isn't incredible. It's because they do what they do very simply and very well. If you want an authentic French bistro and you are in Le Havre, then go to La Voile Bleue. You will not be disappointed! I cannot recommend this place more highly.

Update to previous day's review.
We returned the next day (when the weather was really wet and windy) to a warm welcome. By 12:45 the restaurant was again full. My other half had her crab, which, incidentally, was the largest crab I have ever seen. An absolute bargain at €11. I had the day's special - egg mayonnaise followed by chicken brochettes and frites. Wonderful value at €13.50 and that included a coffee.
To summarise, for value and an authentic bistro experience, this has to be the best place in Le Havre. Do not miss it! Merci, Madame, from M. et Mme Anglais!
Update to the previous update. I now see that La Voile Bleue is Number 1 in Le Havre. Felicitations!!!

• Visited October 2012
London
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Had a wonderful dinner here with my husband just before Easter when we got lost trying to find where our concierge was sending us. Sometimes getting lost is the best thing that can happen on a holiday as you discover a gem.

The service was impeccable, the food divine, and the hostess and her son made us feel so welcome.

Short blog post here: http://aussiefoodie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/francapades-london-to-le-havre.html

• Visited April 2012