“Great location, lovely rooms - v average service” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Deauville
london
“Great location, lovely rooms - v average service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I was pleasantly surprised with the room and decor. We had an 18 month old so it was a bit cramped with a cot but the room had a lovely fireplace and fantastic corner bath & nice shabby chic french style furniture. The location was great as it was only a 10 min walk to the main shops/restaurants and another 5 min stroll to the beach from there. The hotel is situated on a lovely leafy residential street opposite a church and you can literally park your car on the road in front of hotel - it was generally empty. We happened to be there on a w/end when there was an antique fair which was in the church grounds and well worth a wander around.

The only disappointment for me was the service - the guy who checked us in had great English and it may have been lost in translation but he seemed a bit flippant - when I asked to have a bottle of wine opened to drink in the room (not much socialising happening with a baby in toe!) he looked at the St Emillion bottle (not cheap by french standards) and gave a bit of a smirk of disapproval. A bit rude I thought. However it was when we checked out I realised that they had overcharged us for one night - it was only a 20 euro difference but out of principle I went back to mention it. He snatched the bill out of my hand without a hint of an apology and then it was a big ordeal to find the paperwork on their files to check that I was in fact correct. Breakfast service was going at the time and the manager came over and told him to get back to that and she continued with my query. She demanded some receipt that we hadn't been given and then huffed a bit and then eventually put the credit through again without a hint of an apology. I said 'not sure how that overcharge was made?' she said 'oh dont worry thats ok' as if it was my fault - the closest I got to an apology was 'these things happen'. was not impressed. I honestly think that great hotel service is all about how you deal with guests and deal with problems - in this case I was left with a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall I would say the rooms were great, pool lovely, location v good but overall I think they need to up the charm of the staff! If I was going there again I'd probably find more of a B&B style place.

Room Tip: Our room was 211 and was v quiet. Also had a side exit from hotel which was handy
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
paris
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2011

I stayed at l'Augeval to cover a conference in Deauville. It's a small house, with twisty staircases and a tiny elevator. But my room was spacious, with well designed bathroom and closets. Breakfast was a generous spread. There is no restaurant, but you're within walking distance of lots of eating choices. The hotel is on a quiet street, near the Hippodrome, and about a 10 minute walk to the beach. The staff was very friendly, though I had no specific demands from them.There's a tiny pool out front, and a little garden you can have drinks in. All in all, it's a pleasant comfortable hotel, but nothing more. I wouldn't stay here if you intend to hang out a lot at the hotel. While they try to make the ground floor as pleasant as possible, it's not very large.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for a 4 night break in July. The service was not particularly friendly - the staff seemed much happier dealing with their regular French clientele and didn't go out of their way to welcome us at all. We managed to park inside but had to pay 8 euros extra for this.
The room itself was very basic, and the carpet was stained - it all looked pretty shabby, but seemed fairly clean. We sat by the pool and swam one day which was nice -though the pool is at the front of the hotel, so be prepared for passers by to say bonjour!
We didnt have breakfast their as it was extra and seemed expensive. There was a nice bakery nearby which was a good option.
Generally Deauville caters for an older, French audience, so we felt a little uncateredf for. it was a nice, relaxing break however, but the hotel didn't really add to our experience.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2007

We read a review about the Hotel referring to the aromas coming
from the restaurant. The hotel does not have a restaurant and has not had one for the last 2 years or so. Naturally, we were a little disappointed at this. They do have a menu for meals which you can eat in your room but from our point of view part of our holiday is to meet other holiday makers staying at the hotel and to
make new friends. I agree with one of the other reviewers re the price of the breakfast. Well overpriced for what is available. The hotel also hosts conventions and when these are being held your breakfast is served on a plate with little chance of helping yourself should you wish to.
There is a good restaurant at the end of the street approx 50m
called the "21". There is also a Tabac about 100m which serves good breakfasts with very friendly and helpful staff.
The Hotel does not have a bar as such and the receptionists seem reluctant to serve you. We arrived back at the hotel at 21.45
on one occasion and the reception area was in darkness. When we found the receptionist he claimed he could not speak English and could not serve us.
Having said all that, the Hotel itself was very clean, our room was quite large and kept very clean by the staff. The majority of the reception staff were very helpful and friendly. The hotel is well situated with a 5 min walk to the beach and about a 10 min walk to the town centre.

• Liked — Spacious and clean with plenty of storage and excellent w/c and bathroom. Also a small balcony.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

The hotel is small which I prefer because there is less hassle and less crowds. The location is just outside the main shopping and eating areas (10 minute walk). There is a nice pool and outdoor sitting area and plently of free parking across the street. The hotel staff were polite and very helpful. You can order breakfast for an additional charge but I would recommend eating in town. However, the food is good and the restaurant atmosphere is pleasant. I just thought the price was too high for the type of food available. My bedroom was large but did not have a good view or large window. I did not mind because I spent so little time in my room.

• Stayed July 2006
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2004

Given the quality of the accomodations, the price was a steal - less than $100/night for a twin room. The hotel was immaculate, quiet and elegantly decorated. There's a gourmet restaurant by the entrance and the aromas wafting through the hallways are tantilizing. Our room was very comfortable, not too small, clean and bright. It overlooked a lovely little square. The hotel is nicely situated - less than a block from an avenue with lots of shops, restaurants and cafes. Ideal if you want to venture out for a walk. But it's not by the beach, if that's important to you. Also, if you're driving, know that L'Augeval was easy to find - the directions on their website were excellent.

Been to Augeval Hotel? Share your experiences!