“Nice place!” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Rome, Italy
“Nice place!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We passed over this place and we thought to stob by and have a coffee, in the Italian way (no seat, at the counter).
The owner was a little bit surprised, but obviously we didn't know what kind of place was this one.
Really nice, very 'customized'.We had a look around, it seemed to be a nice place for a breakfast or a meal.
Onestly I suggest to pass by and have a drink there, it was....surprising!

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
“Excuse me, my burger is bleeding.....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Saturday afternoon on a sunny March day Dolly's looked good with the terrace full. Enquiring after a table meant we were led to one hastily thrown together almost far enough away to be ordering food from somewhere else. We accepted with grace and were ushered to our seats with aplomb. Thereafter we were forgotten.
The fish and chips were well cooked and the meger salad on the plate was covered in dressing. My brother ordered the burger.
This turned out to be unedible as it was raw (rare) on the inside. Twice this issue was raised with the waiting staff to no avail. We eventually received a lecture on French cooking from the owner/manager.
Uncooked burger meat is illegal in our part of the EU because of the incidence of food poisoning. The risk was too severe to proceed eating it, also the burger bun had become steeped in raw meat juices.
No joy, no refund, no understanding.

• Visited March 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Caen, France
“Vile food, chaotic service, seriously overpriced!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I went for lunch with two friends. Luckily we had the afternoon off because we waited 20 minutes to have our order taken and another half an hour for two of the three meals to arrive. By the time we had finished eating, our friend's meal came. Terrible. I had ordered soup from the specials board (the price wasn't marked) because I didn't want to spend too much, so imagine my surprise when the manageress told me my bill was 10€! What's more, the soup was bad. It was much too thick, and I really like thick soups. I couldn't eat more than half because it made me feel bloated and uncomfortable. The flavour was unidentifiable - it was supposed to be a vegetable soup but it seemed like they had taken the 'chuck in any manky old left overs' approach and I couldn't distinguish the flavour of any vegetable, and I don't think they had used stock so it was really bland. Just mush basically. This was served with a toasted sandwich cut into quarters made using cheap sliced bread, philadelphia and pesto. My friend had ordered a ham ploughman's - this is the dish that arrived last, inexplicably as a ploughman's only requires assembling, not cooking. The ham was cheap and nasty and there were far too many pickled onions! With basic dishes like these, it's more important than ever to start off with quality ingredients. There's no way I will go back here and I can't understand why so many people talk about this place - I think it must be the novelty value of finding typical English dishes such as a cooked breakfast, or fish and chips. I dread to think how badly wrong they are getting these too, and the prices they're charging are obscene. I could go on about the hopeless service but I feel I've said enough. I don't like to give a bad review but frankly I've never had such a disastrous experience of eating out.

Visited January 2012
devon
“More like an American-English pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

I love this place, very funky and quirky but the decor is deffinately more american-english than a tradional english pub, so a little dissapointing on that front. Not quite the 'home from home' we were looking for.
We ate here on a friady night and got there early, which I suggest is a good idea. The place fills up pretty quickly! We odered garlic bread as a starter to share, yummy but too small. I was expecting more like half a baguette then a few slices. Then for the main I had a Bollywood burger and my boyfriend had fish and chips. Both were delicious. Dessert of cheesecake and peacan pie were ok. It was great to have an english pint with our meal, although they lacked a selection to choose from.
All in all, we'd be back.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bayeux, France
“Cosy, warm, friendly service and great food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

Me and my husband have been currently living in france for the past 7 months so we are always discovering new places. 'Le Dolly's' was recommended to us by a work colleague so we decided to go there on sunday (6th Nov) for dinner.

We arrived at 6:15pm and were greeted straight away by a waiter at the door. We asked for a table for two for dinner (We hadn't reserved a table) and the kind waiter explained they were still serving snacks and drinks only until dinner service started which was 7pm. We then asked if we could have a drink by the bar and wait until 7 and the waiter said that was no problem at all and instead of making us wait by the bar he showed us straight to a table.

I enjoyed a nice cold 'Dr Pepper' as I had missed it since living in france! Plus, alcohol was off the menu for me as I'm also 5 months pregnant. While we were waiting the staff were all busy setting up for dinner service. Lighting candles, straightening chairs, getting menus ready, cleaning the bar. I have worked in restaurants and bars so I pick up on things that are going on around me.

The restaurant itself was warm and cosy. We had heard that the tables were on the small side but we managed just fine. I actually liked this as it gave the restaurant lots of character and it didn't feel like I was sitting in yet another 'chain' restaurant. The restaurant had lots of little rooms and each one a different decor. Every table was different as well as the seats. The room where we were was near the bar and they had low seated sofas which is lovely if you want to pop in for a coffee or a quick snack. There are various old english pictures on the walls and props here and there. I felt very relaxed in here and we didn't feel rushed by the staff at all which is what we wanted.

At 7:05 we were given our menus. Me and my husband both ordered the 'Mixed Grill' (2 Sausages, 2 eggs, 2 bacon, 1 homemade burger, 1 grilled tomato, mushrooms, chips, garnish and barbecue sauce) and my husband asked the waiter if it was possible to cook my fried eggs through as I was pregnant. 'This was no problem at all' he said. Our food arrived quickly and it was hot and cooked to perfection! Everything was properly cooked (NOT swimming in grease!) and presented nice on the plate. Very big portion size so make sure you're hungry!

By now the restaurant was busy but not cramped. Great atmosphere! We could see from our table various other meals that were being served. Someone had ordered the 'Fish & Chips' and....wow....it was a massive portion of crispy fish and it smelt lovely and fresh. (Might have to try that next time)

The service was excellent and we didn't have to wait very long for them to take our plates away and ask if we wanted dessert. Which obviously we had to try ;-) It would have been rude not to! We were given the menu again and we both chose the 'Eton Mess'. Beautiful! Again, big portion but not heavy. Lovely red fruits, nuts, crushed meringue, thick fresh cream, chopped apple and a sweet berry sauce at the bottom. Heaven!!!

We would recommened this restaurant to anyone and we plan to return there again in the near future. We may even become regulars as we enjoyed it that much!

The evening menu prices are: Main 14€
Starter & Main (or) Main & Dessert 18€
Starter, Main & Dessert 23€

Opening times: Monday: 11:00 - 18:00
Tuesaday: 10:30 - 19:00
Wednesday - Sunday: 10:30 - 22:30
(Dinner service starts at 19:00)

'Le Dolly's' also has a separate area/shop selling a few english produce for the homesick etc and they also provide a take away service for evening meals. Enjoy!

• Visited November 2011