“Convenient Location NOT for the Spoiled Traveller” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rex-Hotel

Rex-Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Caen
Rex-Hotel
You added Rex-Hotel to your Saves list
58, Place de la Gare, 14000 Caen, France   |
Ranked #38 of 44 Hotels in Caen
Edmonton, Canada
“Convenient Location NOT for the Spoiled Traveller”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and loved it. It was cozy and small with a bathroom that was almost as big as the room. When in Caen you are there to see the city and all it has to offer not to hang out in your hotel room. This hotel's manager was helpful, friendly, and his dining recommendations were excellent. Yes there are homeless people near by, after all you are right across from the train station, where else would they be? If you want a characterless American hotel then don't stay here. If you want a cool authentic European hotel and you aren't a spoiled brat stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

It was my fantastic journey in overall. I will recomend to all visitors to try to stay in Rex hotel.

• Stayed December 2010
Barry, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

enroute......... this hotel is just the job.

I travelled up from Brittany, on the train from St. Malo. The hotel is opposite the train station. Also outside the hotel is the tram, taxis and the central bus station. I had an early ferry from oustreham the next day. I could have gone by bus, but I chose a taxi, about 30 euros.
I had a nice welcome, and theres a lift just for luggage. I booked a single and got a double, which was light and airey and obviously recently had a lick of paint. The hotel is basic, but my room was clean, crisp white sheets and towels, comfortable bed, television, phone, desk and an ensuite shower room.
It does suffer from city noise, inevitable, though all rooms have large double glazed windows and shutters to shut it all out.
On the street below are some good bars offering lunch and dinners, omelettes, steaks, pizzas etc.
If you are enroute, with every type of transport available on your doorstep, its great value for a one night stop over.

Room Tip: I booked through bookings.com
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Wales, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2008

My dad booked this hotel as a one night stop over on our way to Brittany. The exterior of the hotel was shabby and the homeless man begging outside set alarm bells ringing immediately. We did go into the hotel and asked to see the rooms before we agreed to stay there. We are glad we did not just automatically check in as the rooms had no toilet en suite, it was shared with the whole floor and the rooms were dirty and smelled of cigarette smoke. We promptly told the manager(?) that we would not be staying there as the rooms had been mis-sold as being en suite - there was a washbasin and shower attached to the rooms.

On leaving the hotel we observed drug dealing being carried out on the hotel steps.

• Liked — The sight of it diminishing in our rear view mirror
  • Disliked — All of it
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Cambridgeshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2008

Hotel Rex, Caen, 14000, France....‎ - Nigel.Leadbeater‎ - 11 Jun 2008
Do not stay at this Hotel, the car park (6 euro per night) is used as a dumping ground for all kinds of rubbish as well as an area for drying (dirty) linen. The interior of the hotel smells of damp, the carpets are dirty and have dust at either side of the walkways, clear evidence that the carpets do not get vaccuumed, merely that dirt gets trodden in. The door lock to room 10 is bent where it has previously been forced and had a broken piece of chipboard wedged into the window frame. The shower door and hinges were rusty and the TV remote is held together with brown packaging tape. My twin room comprised a double bed with one pillow and a pair of childrens bunk beds. You will be required to make payment for your room upon arrival, however if you find that your room, like mine, is not to your satisfaction the hotel manger will not refund your payment to you, stating that you have cancelled at less than a days notice, which will not be the case under these circumstances, however you will not get your money back even if you used Booking.com as a booking agent as I did. I have photographs of everything that I have mentioned above and have uploaded them onto the web in order to evidence what I have said here. I have a lot of experience of staying in hotels, hostels and campsites worldwide and can honestly say that I have never been to such a poor amatuerly run establishment before. Please do not have your holiday / weekend break disrupted or spoiled because of this hotel and it's poor condition and management, take my advice and avoid it like the plague.

• Liked — Nothing it was atrocious
  • Disliked — The smell of damp and the dirtiness of the establishment
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Rex-Hotel? Share your experiences!