“Stinky; dirty; black mold” 1 of 5 stars

Hotel Bernieres
50 rue de Bernieres, 14000 Caen, France   |
Ranked #42 of 44 Hotels in Caen
Caen
“Stinky; dirty; black mold”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

When we opened the door to room #5 the stench almost knocked us over! There is a lot of black mold around and behind the tub. Worst hotel ever! I'd rather sleep on a bench in the train station. I would not recommend under any circumstances.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Totton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I had to spend a couple of weeks in Caen, and being between contracts, opted for budget accommodation. As the previous reviewer ruefully observed, you get what you pay for.

I was on the third floor, at the rear of the building. Climbing the stairs up the narrow stairwell I sometimes felt like an SOE agent going about some clandestine business, as it felt just like being in one of those black and white films about the Resistance in WW II.

Threadbare carpets throughout. The sheets and towels had seen better days......about twenty years ago....and were 50 Shades of Grey. On the first morning, while drying my back after a shower, the towel ripped. The shower was a 'Pulse' type shower. Just after I got it to the right temperature and stepped in, it pulsed cold. Rapid adjustments, stepped in and it then pulsed scalding hot. No need to go for a walk to exercise. Just take a shower and jump in and out for ten minutes or so. There is no extraction system fitted, so on cold mornings there is a layer of steam that gradually drifts into the bedroom, resulting in some fascinating moulds growing on the ceiling/wall join.

The blankets and coverlet were in dire need of throwing into a skip, or at the very least a long, deep dry clean so I resorted to using my lightweight sleeping bag.. The bedding reeked of stale tobacco, as did the hotel in general.

I didn't take advantage of the breakfast bit. It was a smoking area, so I skipped it and used to go into town for a bite to eat, much to Madame's disgust!

On the plus side, it is well placed for the marina, weekend market, town centre, William the Conquerors Palace and museums. The staff are very friendly, and the kebab shop next door does a pretty good offering. Being at the back of the hotel meant it was quiet so sleep quality was good. (Forgot to mention, the bed was very comfortable).

Would I stay there again? With my wife...No. I can't afford a divorce. On my own ....possibly.

Room Tip: Back rooms, second floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

This was one of the cheapest options, and I guess I got what I paid for. The staff were friendly and the hotel was very dated and not very clean. The worst part was that my 'private' bathroom with shower and toilet was simply in the corner of the bedroom with a fence around it. it was hardly private especially when the door to the fenced corner did not close or lock. it was a bit embarasing and uncomfortable.
However it was CHEAP so I can't really complain. I did enjoy my stay in the city of Caen and as budget holidays/ city breaks go It was a decent little place to stay for the money I spent. I may look to spend a few more £ next time to have a separate room with a toilet/ shower however.

Room Tip: make sure the toilet is not a fenced off corner of the bedroom.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

When we arrived was offered choice of two rooms, first room was very dark. second was a bit brighter, shower room and toilet was just an extra room built into the bedroom, it done for the night as we were travelling on the next day. location was good for the town and marina. My Daughter and family also stayed at this hotel

Room Tip: Our room was on the first floor over looking the street. My daughter and her family had the family...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2010

I stayed in this hotel last night and am still livid as I was robbed. I live near Caen and had arranged to see friends for dinner after a days sightseeing and shopping. I left my wallet and train tickets in my room as I did not want to take a bulky wallet out with me, just the requisite cash. I got in late and the next morning I discovered that wallet and train tickets had gone. I informed reception who allowed me to cancel cards and gave me ten Euros for train (someone had attempted to use card thus proving theft.) They did not bring the owner/manager, did not reimburse for price of room as it was obviously an inside job as rooms keys are in a place for all and sundry to see and I had informed that I would be arriving late to the staff and there is a code to get in late at night. Receptionist was young and ditzy...you pay peanuts, you get monkeys......

Shame as hotel is well placed but obviously not paying enough to the employees.....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2007

The hotel had the feel of an old house. Everything was a little run-down (even the window didn't close properly). Only a curtain separated the washroom from the bedroom and it was difficult to adjust the temperature of the water in the shower. The staff was not particularly helpful. 25 minute walk to the train station, and 10 minute walk to the tourist information centre. The breakfast is not worth it if they ask if you want it included.

The price is a plus, though.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2005

Rooms smell of drains. I booked 4 rooms 10 months in advance and yet when we arrived the rooms were not available. It meant I had to find alternative rooms for some of the party nearby. They had clearly double booked and admitted my booking was earlier, but would not honour it, even though I had their guarantee in my hand. I was not allowed to speak to the owner directly. Don't do it!!! Book over the road at The Astrid, this was much more friendly.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Hotel Bernieres? Share your experiences!