“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Crocus

You added Hotel Crocus to your Saves list
Hotel Crocus
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Rue de la Folie | Rond Point du Debarquement, 14000 Caen, France   |
Ranked #34 of 44 Hotels in Caen
London, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011 via mobile

Hotel reception/bar dirty, bar maid/waitress showing thrush like symptoms with constant scratching of vaginal area while serving drinks. Iam not very tall @ 5'8 but I kept banging head on ceiling in bathroom which was very clean prob because most people need a hard hat to enter.our room was clean with different hight joining beds so as I rolled over in night I would fall down to next level to cuddle wife.

• Stayed July 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Swindon UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Three of us needed a base to operate around the Normandy Attractions, and this provided a perfect location. We stayed 7 nights and parking was occasionally an issue. Most nights we ate in the restaurant. Sometimes we had to dealy eating because it was full but at no time did we not eat because of it. Drinks were limited and somewhat expensive.
Rooms were very basic but you get what you pay for. We all slept acceptably well but the rooms do have thin walls and there is a lot of internal noise if the wrong crowd are in. Didnt care for the blanket and sheet arrangement, expecting quilts on the continent! I had a double room to myself [wife didnt come] and my two mates had a triple. neither room was blessed with spare floor area.
Free Wireless hook-up was acceptable but dont expect to watch movies with it as it is too slow for that.
All in all I woudl rank the hotel just below travellodge standard for the UK, its main advantages being price and location and I would recommend it for your base of a beaches tour.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

On arrival on June 8th 2011 for a 4 night pre-booked stay, I was told that, owing to the arrival of a large coach party, there was no room available for me, and I had been transferred to the nearby B. and B. Hotel, which is a similar standard. It wasn't. I spent the first night of my 4 night booking in a small concrete cell, 'sleeping' on a thin mattress, on a wooden baseboard.
The receptionist at the B.and B. told me this happens frequently - the Crocus accepts bookings from large coach parties and then attempts to transfer other pre-booked travellers to the B. and B.Hotel.
The bad treatment was made worse when the Crocus said I was to pay them at their rate, for the other hotel - which I refused to do.
On my return to the Crocus the next day (the B. and B. hotel had no rooms available for my other 3 nights anyway) I was given an free upgrade, and apologies for the inconvenience.
However, I could not get a meal in the hotel restaurant because it was full. (A second coach party had arrived.)
The coach parties tend to be noisy; the bedroom walls are thin, and with adjoining doors, a peaceful night's sleep cannot be guaranteed.
If you are a solo traveller, your booking, and your stay at the hotel, will take second place to the frequent coach parties that arrive. Unnacceptable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
wimbledon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

Stayed here for just one night en route for the loire valley. Very difficult to find - Caen signposts are some of the worst in the world. Print directions !
We arrived late and asked the hotel to leave the keys in the room which they did without problem. Room was very small - the smallest loo/shower I've ever seen. However, all was clean and efficient, but I would not describe the hotel as having any charm.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

Stayed here for one night on our way to the D-day beaches. Very convenient to get to, and almost walking distance to the Caen Memorial. Hotel was clean, wi-fi was fast and efficient, and bathroom, though small, was spotless. Staff all spoke English, and the breakfast was good and worth the price. We were able to eat breakfast even though it had ended fifteen minutes before. I would stay here again if I was going through Normandy. The walls were a bit thin (group of teenagers was staying there and I could hear them going up and down the halls and in their room -- next to ours), but overall good value.

• Stayed July 2010
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We stayed at this hotel with friends and used this as a base for the D Day beaches. Ok its small but staff were brilliant especially when we ran out of Stella for the World Cup Final within 10 minutes new barrel arrived. We ate twice in the restaurant and each time the meal was great. We would go back again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

Excellent value and friendly staff. All spoke English which was a plus. I had no issue with bathroom size despite what others said.

A good budget food with great food in the restaurant

• Stayed July 2010

Been to Hotel Crocus? Share your experiences!