“An exception hotel in Bayeux!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Churchill
14 rue St Jean, 14400 Bayeux, France   |
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Bayeux
Orlando, FL
“An exception hotel in Bayeux!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

When we checked out of the Hotel Churchill I told Rima, the owner, that she had set the bar so high, that all the other hotels we were staying in throughout France would have a tough time exceeding our experience in Bayeux. I was right. This is a wonderful little gem of a hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel is terrifically charming. Rima and her staff are very helpful and accommodating. You can't beat the location. It is in the heart of Bayeux and close to everything.My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer!

• Liked — The location, cleanliness, room size and personnel
  • Disliked — No elevator and bar in the hotel
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Minneapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Four of us saw an article in the Minneapolis Tribune referencing Hotel Churchill. We were planning to go to Normandy so instantly booked rooms. It is a recommended Rick Steves hotel as well!
Of the 10 nights in Paris and Normandy, without doubt the Hotel Churchill surpassed all expectations and all other hotels.
Rima and Francois Hebert are the perfect hosts assisting with directions, recommendations, food, brochures etc.
We were so impressed, that we sent a thank you gift upon returning to the Twin Cities. Never done that before.
We'll be back!

Stayed October 2007
Vienna, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2007

My wife and I loved the Churchill Hotel for its location, room and value. But our highest praise is for exceptional service. We booked a double superior room for two nights, expecting to spend the full day in between touring Omaha Beach and the American cemetery in the car we rented in Caen. Unfortunately, our first morning we experienced car trouble as soon as we left Bayeaux and had to return. Owners/managers Francois and Rima Herbert could not have been more helpful in saving the day. Francois went with me as I drove the car to check out and confirm its problem. Rima called Europecar in Caen to explain the situation and arrange for a replacement car, and other staff arranged for a taxi from French "assistance" to take me to Caen the next morning. By then, it was almost 1 pm and we worried that our day appeared finished, but Rima got us into a half day tour that was leaving in less than an hour. The tour proved to be excellent as it took us to several places we would not have seen had we driven ourselves. In all, we were able to see a lot more of the region than we expected due to Francois and Rima's special efforts. We highly recommend this hotel and will return someday.

• Liked — Location, value, cleanliness, service
  • Disliked — Nothing in particular
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
Port Orchard, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

Great hotel in the middle of Bayeaux. The farmers market is right outside the front doors. They have their own parking lot with a lot of spaces. The tapestry is a 2 minute (or less) walk away. The cathedral is close, also. The proprietors were great; we left 2 of our kids in Paris so didn't need the 2nd room, and this was no problem for them. We didn't eat breakfast there, so I can't comment on that. Clean hotel, nice bathroom (for France, so not very big, but bigger than others we had). The room was small but very clean.

Stayed July 2007
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Churchill during a visit to Normandy. It is a charming place with lovely, clean rooms, a bright ,cheerful breakfast room and a caring and friendly staff. WWII photos of American soldiers cover the walls and the Andrew Sisters were playing in the background. Bayeaux is a wonderful place and I highly recommend the Hotel Churchill.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

Our visit was somewhat impromptu (booking only two days in advance), so our choice of rooms was bound to be limited; we were, however, very pleased with them. They were spotlessly clean and spacious, with excellent en-suite facilities, and the beds themselves very comfortable. We were delighted to find sheets and blankets (non-allergenic) instead of the ubiquitous duvet, and the pillows (again, non-allergenic) as good as my ones at home (I am very fussy!). We found the staff friendly and courteous. Bayeux was a beautiful place and the hotel ideally situated; three days was not enough and we very much hope to return.

• Liked — Location, rooms, bedding
  • Stayed September 2007
BOURNEMOUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

I have just returned from a 7-night stay at the Hotel Churchill. I really wanted to stay there having found it rated by Tripadvisor as the number one hotel in Bayeux. This was confirmed by the number of glowing reviews from former guests.

I e-mailed the hotel, receiving prompt reply, and got the last available room. They warned me it was a small room but as a single traveller I am used to sleeping in shoe box sized rooms and paying an extortionate supplement for the privilege. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room (no supplement). It was spotlessly clean and comfortable with excellent en-suite toilet/shower. I received a warm welcome from Rima and throughout the week she and all the staff were extremely helpful and attentive making my stay a very happy one.
They speak good English and were very patient with my schoolboy French. Bayeux is charming and if you are thinking of going there look no further than the Churchill, you won't regret it.

• Liked — comfortable/clean rooms friendly staff
  • Disliked — no bar but understand alterations are planned for the close season so perhaps next year?
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Churchill? Share your experiences!