“Great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Bayeux
Port Orchard, WA
“Great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

Great hotel in the middle of Bayeaux. The farmers market is right outside the front doors. They have their own parking lot with a lot of spaces. The tapestry is a 2 minute (or less) walk away. The cathedral is close, also. The proprietors were great; we left 2 of our kids in Paris so didn't need the 2nd room, and this was no problem for them. We didn't eat breakfast there, so I can't comment on that. Clean hotel, nice bathroom (for France, so not very big, but bigger than others we had). The room was small but very clean.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Churchill during a visit to Normandy. It is a charming place with lovely, clean rooms, a bright ,cheerful breakfast room and a caring and friendly staff. WWII photos of American soldiers cover the walls and the Andrew Sisters were playing in the background. Bayeaux is a wonderful place and I highly recommend the Hotel Churchill.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2007

Our visit was somewhat impromptu (booking only two days in advance), so our choice of rooms was bound to be limited; we were, however, very pleased with them. They were spotlessly clean and spacious, with excellent en-suite facilities, and the beds themselves very comfortable. We were delighted to find sheets and blankets (non-allergenic) instead of the ubiquitous duvet, and the pillows (again, non-allergenic) as good as my ones at home (I am very fussy!). We found the staff friendly and courteous. Bayeux was a beautiful place and the hotel ideally situated; three days was not enough and we very much hope to return.

• Liked — Location, rooms, bedding
  • Stayed September 2007
BOURNEMOUTH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2007

I have just returned from a 7-night stay at the Hotel Churchill. I really wanted to stay there having found it rated by Tripadvisor as the number one hotel in Bayeux. This was confirmed by the number of glowing reviews from former guests.

I e-mailed the hotel, receiving prompt reply, and got the last available room. They warned me it was a small room but as a single traveller I am used to sleeping in shoe box sized rooms and paying an extortionate supplement for the privilege. Therefore I was pleasantly surprised by the size of the room (no supplement). It was spotlessly clean and comfortable with excellent en-suite toilet/shower. I received a warm welcome from Rima and throughout the week she and all the staff were extremely helpful and attentive making my stay a very happy one.
They speak good English and were very patient with my schoolboy French. Bayeux is charming and if you are thinking of going there look no further than the Churchill, you won't regret it.

• Liked — comfortable/clean rooms friendly staff
  • Disliked — no bar but understand alterations are planned for the close season so perhaps next year?
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2007

I have to admit to being a bit disappointed after reading the rave reviews on TripAdvisor. We stayed here for three nights at the beginning of August. I had booked two rooms about 9 months previously and yet we had rooms in two different wings of the hotel. One room (rm 107) was big, bright and spacious while ours (rm 212) was a pokey attic room with one tiny window up two flights of winding stairs - no lift. This room had a double bed and a single bed but as we had to use the single bed to put our suitcases on I don't know how they would expect three people and their luggage to manage in here. On the positive side it was very clean and comfortable.
I would not say the hosts were super friendly. In fact it often seemed too much effort for Rima to turn her head from the computer to say Bonjour. Her rather off hand manner caused us to miss the prearranged pick up for our D-Day beaches tour. When we asked where the pick-up point was she just nodded to the back and told us just out there. Long after the pick-up time I went for a walk through the car park and discovered the sign for our tour right across the car-park and behind a building, so we were out of sight. She did ring the company for us and to their credit they sent another driver to pick us up and catch up with our intended driver. Can't say enough good about them - Normandy Sightseeing Tours.
The location of this hotel is great. Right on the main street of Bayeux and yet quiet. They do have a breakfast room and the breakfast looked OK but we didn't eat here. Their continental breakfast was 8.50 and we found better value at Le Sulky on the cnr of Rue St Jean and Rue aux Coqs. Petit De'jeuner 6.50, Bacon & eggs 5.90 or Omlette 6.50 all served with tea or coffee.
I would stay here again only if I knew what room I was going to be in.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small room
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Monroe,Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

My father and I stayed for a week during DDay celebrations. We were treated like family by the entire staff. The rooms were extremely clean, central, and we had an excellent breakfast each morning. The coffee was refreshing and available at all hours. We asked for recommendations for supper each night and were never disappointed. Central location to all the attractions and the staff provided insight to activities and attractions. The stay was a highlight of our trip. We will stay here again. We met a large group of veterans who stay at the Churchill every year. The dining area becomes a makesift history lesson throughout the day.

• Liked — friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — travel connection from cherborg
  • Stayed June 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Coimbra, Portugal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2007

We stayed 2 nights at Churchill last August during our 3 weeks trip to Normandy,Britanny and Loire valley.
On arrival they gave us the room 15 which open directly to the reception...
The room and the bathroom had a good size and were clean but the decor was mediocre...perhaps good for a standard 3 star hotel,but not for the "Charm Hotel" that I expected based in the other reviews...
The location was in fact the best thing about this Hotel...on the Bayeux main street close to The Bayeux Tapestry and a short walk to the Cathedral,The Museum of the Normandy Batlle and the British Cemetery.
We tried 2 restaurants close to the Hotel: Pizzaria Il Bellagio and restaurant La Rapiere,both very good.
Average breakfast !!
The only Hotel areas for the guests were the reception and the breakfast room...
Finally...we did not feel any kind of friendliness at the check-in or on departure...
Hotel Churchill as well as the Grand Monarque in Chartres were the worst Hotels we stayed in during our trip!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the check out
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Churchill? Share your experiences!