“D-Day Experience with Paul Woodadge, D-Day Historian -- Superb!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Tours of the D-Day beaches and battlefields of Normandy for history-buffs and passionate travellers who want a detailed look at the historical areas, visiting not just the famous sites, but places off the beaten path that are often overlooked.It's no surprise that many people who take tours with Paul Woodadge the DDay Historian become friends afterwards. Via his Facebook page and e-mail he continues to offer "after tour" advice on books and history and these clients return again for more tours.
Canton
“D-Day Experience with Paul Woodadge, D-Day Historian -- Superb!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We experienced D-Day history on a two day tour with The D-Day Historian, Paul Woodadge. Our two days were full of the locations, the actions, and, most importantly, the soldiers who lived through or died during these events. Paul's enthusiastic presentation style and superb attention to the details of weather, battle plans, and the men who fought presented the overwhelming magnitude and sacrifice of D-Day invasion and subsequent weeks!
Paul is a wonderful D-Day nerd by his own admission ; I highly recommend a very special 2-3 day D-Day tour with this passionate D-Day history nerd!
EJ and Jerry Johnson

Northern Territory
3 attraction reviews
“Couldn't have asked for Better!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Recently I was on a 2 day tour American Experience Tour with Paul. We were a small group of 8 and it was definitely the highlight of our trip. There is no way we could have experienced Normandy in such an intimate way had we been on our own. Paul is an unbelievable guide with a crazy amount of WW II knowledge in his head. He is both incredibly knowledgeable and highly entertaining. He knows how to weave personal experience, detailed military lingo and fantastic stories into one that is accessible to so many levels. Our tour consisted of military veterans, naive-to-the-military women all the way down to an 18 year old WW II fan ... Paul was somehow able to reach all of us in the lesson that we learned and moments/places we experienced. For someone like myself, who typically does not "do" tours, Paul was an absolute gem and I highly recommend NOT going through Normandy with anyone else but him! It was a very fair priced tour and totally worth every dollar.

3 attraction reviews
“An Excellent Experience With "D-Day Historian" Paul Woodage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you have any interest whatsoever in military history in general, the Second World War, or the Allied campaign in Normandy in particular, then you cannot do any better than to take one of D-Day Historian, Paul Woodage's guided battlefield tours. A self-described "D-Day nerd", Paul is passionate about preserving and communicating the history of the liberation of Europe and giving his clients a connection with America's "Greatest Generation." My wife and I took the two-day American Experience Tour and loved every minute of it.

Paul's extensive knowledge of the subject matter is enriched by his friendship with scores of D-Day veterans whose life stories he weaves seamlessly into his lectures.

A word of caution: Paul's tours are not for the faint of heart, or the person who can only devote a couple of hours and will be satisfied to see the major battlefield sites from a motor coach. If you take one of Paul's tours, be prepared to get your feet muddy, your stamina tested and your composure strained. An excellent story-teller, Paul knows how to convey information with an emotional arc. You will be inspired as well as educated.

The American Experience tour is two full days, departing Bayeux promptly at 8:30 and returning at 5:30 with no wasted time in between. Fear not, however, sufficient comfort stops and lunch breaks are built into the itinerary. I highly recommend this tour.

Arlington, Virginia
“The Only Way to Tour the Normandy Beaches”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I spent three days with Paul Woodage touring the WWII sites of Normandy. We loved every second. Paul's heart is truly in his work. Having had a taste of the Normandy experience with him, I cannot imagine anyone else as a guide. Seeing the beginning of the liberation of Europe with Paul will stay with me for many days to come. The brave men who landed in Normandy by sea and by air deserve our never ending gratitude and respect. These tours do them honor.

Chicago, IL
3 attraction reviews
“BEST guided tour experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

After I booked the 2 day American experience and the Band of Brothers tours, I worried that I might have chosen a tour that was above my knowledge and interest, however, Paul Woodage is an exceptional guide. He has the ability to take you to a seemingly innocuous site, layer a personal veteran's story over the historical account, back it up with photos and maps and put a "small" event into the context of D-Day. By the end of the 3 days, I was asking relevant questions about the placements of weapons, the orientation of the site, and tactics employed. Paul taught me how to stand in a cow pasture and "see" history. If his tours are booked, change your travel dates.