“Great hotel. Clean, central and breakfast is brill!” 5 of 5 stars

Premiere Classe Bayeux
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Chemin de la Gambette, Bayeux, France   |
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in Bayeux
Ireland
“Great hotel. Clean, central and breakfast is brill!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed here to visit the DDay beaches of Normandy. It is located walking distance from the beautiful town of Bayeaux which is centrally placed to visit either the American beaches of Omaha and Utah, or the beaches of Juno, Gold and Sword. There is a double bed with a single bed in each room and you pay for the room no matter how many are in the room. Its very reasonable we paid the equivalent of £20 for bed and a delicious continental buffet breakfast with a never ending supply of coffee, a selection of teas, breads, cornflakes, jams, yoghurts, etc. There is a TV in the room plus ensuite shower etc. There is not much space for clothes but it was more than adequate with a small area for hanging up items that had to be removed from suitcase. Normandy can be very expensive and this is a really good way to stay somewhere not just central to Bayeux but central to all the places along the DD beaches. Its clean and the breakfast was exceptional value. You would pay as much for a coffee in some cafes as you would for this breakfast. Also I normally don't like tea from machines but there is one on the ground floor and for one euro I got a lovely cuppa. Would definitely recommend and will be staying there next time round too. For the money its well worth it and more! Also the beds are excellent and the pillows!

Room Tip: They are all good rooms!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Polish first
Essex, England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The location and price convinced me to book the hotel on-line months before arriving in October 2012 with my Dad and brother. I can only base this review on 3 people sharing a room. I was aware the rooms were small, and the price obviously reflects this, but I genuinely didn't expect it to be that small!
We all laughed when we first entered the room until the seriousness of the situation hit us as we had booked 4 nights! The room is FAR too small for three people. The only way 3 beds can fit in the room is to put one over the other two and the bathroom is extremely cramped. Definitely not for the claustrophobic. We ended up booking the adjoining room as well so my 79 year old Dad could have a bit more space, but this ended up more than doubling the price originally paid.
The immediate area is just outside the centre of Bayeux which is a short stroll away and, as we had the car, this was perfect for reaching and leaving the hotel to different areas of Normandy with ease. The hotel car park was of ample size.
It was pot luck whether the bed was made. On returning after a day out my brother's bed was made, only the top cover of my Dad's bed was pulled over and mine was completely ignored. Also a Bounty bar I bought from the vending machine miraculously disappeared!
We didn't try the breakfast and the staff were only available at certain times of the day. If booking, please remember you have to check in before 13:00 or after 17:00 as the reception is not staffed between those times.
Overall, I would only recommend this hotel for a one night stopover only. Any more than that look elsewhere. The room is just about ok for 2 people but 3 is pushing it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ALBANY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We just completed a 3 night stay at this hotel in Bayeux. Because of the previous reviews posted on Trip Advisor I knew not to expect a large room and was really worried about the bathroom. But overall I was very pleased to find out that the room was just like a cruise ship cabin and so was the bathroom. Definitely not the kind of room you want to luxuriate in for a long time, but the room was clean, linens fresh, staff friendly and the location excellent for touring as they provide complimentary parking in their lot. Very easy to get out of with the rental car, and the center of town is only about a 10 minute walk and is filled with shops and restaurants. Couple of tips - there is no coffee maker in the room; they have a coffee machine in the lobby for a shot of coffee for one euro or you can buy their breakfast for 4.90 euros per person. Since we were going to be out all day we just bought a quick shot to get us going. Also the hotel does not provide a hair dryer or wash cloths so you may want to bring your own and a European 2 prong adapter. Although not the honeymoon suite it was clean and fit our needs this trip.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and I spent three nights in this hotel around our two full day tours on the Normandy Battlefields. The room was incredibly small, with no floor or closet space, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable enough. The hotel is not staffed much of the day which seemed a little odd. They have a very modest continental breakfast buffet which worked out well the days of our tours. It is close enough to the heart of Bayeux to walk there easily.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sint-Truiden, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel was a good call for a quick sleep over on a normandy trip. The room is very basic but clean! Also the breakfast is good and in buffet style but not a lot of choice. I would certainly choose again for premiere classe for a one night stay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I must confess I stayed at the Premiere quite some time ago ( it was actually June 2009!) in a family party of four. I didn't expect to see it on here, as it was a motel chain but I thought I would share my experiences.

Having driven down from Calais- a rather long drive- we got to the hotel about 7 o'clock in the evening and I booked in using my lilting French. We paid £50 per night for a room including a buffet breakfast- this was to be a 3 day stay. I thought this was good value.

The receptionist didn't speak any English, which came as no surprise, but we got our card and checked in swiftly with a minimum of fuss. The room itself was quite small and comprised of a large double bed and two smaller single cabin beds for the two children in the party. Of some concern, I found the fire door which opened straight onto the car park, three floors down, unlocked and potentially easily opened by small hands! This was rectified by sticking a car key in it to engage the lock, however.

There was a kettle, TV and a generous shower cubicle, though this left the toilet area quite small. It was relatively new and clean, with firm beds and crisp sheets. We did try to go to the restaurant over the road but were rather rudely ushered out and were told they were closing, though none of the diners looked in a hurry to go anywhere- I must point out this was not a Premiere run diner, rather another well known chain...

With small children to feed I ended up driving into Bayeux on a Sunday to find little open and I ended up buying a few cans of pop and a large pizza/chips for the best part of £12! This being my first trip abroad since 1993, the advent of the Euro passed me by- the nostalgia of my cheap childhood outings to France were somewhat rudely shattered.

Morning came and breakfast proved to be rather good- cereals, yoghurts, toasts, juices, tea/coffee, although there was something of a queue to get seat on one day of our stay. If you were sneaky, then you could also sneak stuff out to keep the kids quiet in the car and supplement your Leclerc bought lunches!

Overall I was quite impressed- the room was a little on the small side, but otherwise it was clean, cheap, quiet and the buffet breakfast was a bonus.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask for one away from the car park to the front of the building,
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Check in is way too late at 1700, wouldnt let us check in early. Luckily it isnt too far from town. When we did return of course alot of people checking in at same time. Went up to room and it reeked of smoke, non-smoking room, beds looked slept in. Receptionist did give us a better room one floor down. Room was clean there, bathroom is like an airplane, with shower all in one with toilet. Did not eat food there after room experience. Would not stay here again. Sounds like this hotel chain isnt very well run. See the Bayeux tapestry, enjoy the cute little town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Premiere Classe Bayeux? Share your experiences!