“food was great” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel de la Gare

Hotel de la Gare
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bayeux
Hotel de la Gare
You added Hotel de la Gare to your Saves list
16, place de la gare, 14400 Bayeux, France   |
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in Bayeux
Alpine, California
“food was great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I didn't stay there but we did eat there and used it as a base to see Normandy from. the man "J-MAR" was of great help. he runs the hotel, bar and Normandy tours. the place is very clean, very close to down town Bayeux. after spending much time and eating there I would not be afraid to stay there. I felt very safe in the area. Bayeux was the best, give yourself a few days there. check out the stream that flows though town.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ankeny, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I came to Bayeux intending to stay one night. Instead I ended up staying for four nights. The staff was some of the nicest people I've met, and I got my own room for a great price! The downtown is five minuets by walking and the train station is basically on the doorstep. I also took the D-Day tour the hotel offered. Great Choice! I really enjoyed my stay at Hotel de la Gare, and Bayeux is the ideal place to see D-Day beaches from. If you come to Bayeux, stay here!!!

Room Tip: Just talk to the front desk, they'll set ya up good!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed here with my wife, and we both thought this is the best locationed hotel in the town of Bayeux. You walk out of the train station ("Gare") and it's the only close-by building you can see, so while other people try to look at their maps or decide whether or not to get ripped off by a taxi, you can stroll 50 meters and drop your luggage off. (It's about a 10 min walk into town) The rooms are basic but clean and with clean sheets and towels. Room had a tv but all the channels are French ones. So yes, fairly basic, but no, not nearly as bad as the below review in my opinion. It's cheap and cheerful and as someone else said, the English speaking manager is excellent value! They do a good breakfast at the cafe downstairs for 6 euros. The cafe seems frequented by locals so you can watch them eat croissants and drink their coffee while they chat and watch French TV. And when you leave Bayeux, you walk over the road and you're at the Gare. So yes, if you're on a budget, stay here! I would again. PS- even though it's really close you barely hear the trains from the hotel at all. No wifi either, but you get that for free at the town's Irish pub. If it's closed, discretely linger outside and you can still get signal.

Room Tip: Even rooms facing the train station are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
College Station, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I checked out this hotel to see about staying there because it was right at the train station. The manager and clerk were very friendly but I asked to see the room. It was OK but the bathroom was in the hall. There was also a very narrow winding staircase going up which would be tuff to get my suitcase up as it is not light. But the clincher was that they did not have WIFI. I chose to stay at the Premiere Class which was about a 5 minute walk from the station and had in suite bathrooms for 36 Euros a night (in November). The Hotel de la Gare does have a cafe attatched which is a plus but I would suppose it's main advantage is that it is so close to the train station so if I needed to catch a train the next day that would be good being so close to the station.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Surrey, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

A late night, last minute booking when i was too tired after a long drive to check the room we were offered before paying. Big mistake, ghastly room,seriously over-priced. Requested double but were given a family room, so many beds squashed into it, it was almost impossible to walk around. the "en-suite shower" was a plastic box in the bedroom where toilet door should have been, Not a shower room. (of course the toilet then had no door!) I had to step out of the shower straight into the bedroom. the shower head wouldn't even attach to wall. incredibly noisy so very little sleep, if it wasn't the guests in the rooms alongside and above, it was the outside crashing and banging from 0400hrs(the trains were actually quiet). If you have to stay there get a front facing room.
Now i have stayed in cheap French hotels before and am fine with lino floors and shabby, for a quick on-route overnight stay i don't expect a lot. Here I felt totally ripped off. Keep well clear is my recommendation.

Room Tip: Never accept or pay for a room before asking to see it first, no matter how late it is.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We recently did a day trip to Bayeux from Caen where we were staying. We'd had a great time in Bayeux and hadn't realised the time, and it had suddenly got very late. We rushed to the train station but just missed the last train back to Caen. There were no taxi's outside of the station so we headed to Hotel de la Gare to see if we could get a number for a taxi company so that we could get back to Caen where we were staying. I think the guy that helped us was the manager. He was so friendly and called a cab for us. They had finished serving for the evening, but he offered for us to wait in the bar until the taxi arrived and poured up a large calvados each which was great, and he was very friendly and talked to us until the taxi arrived. I can't comment on the hotel as a place to stay, however felt it was appropriate to write about how hospitable the staff were, as many people say that the French are not so great on customer service - but the guy at Hotel de la Gare went out of his way to help us and to make us feel welcome.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashburn VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My wife and I did a day trip out from Paris as part of our Honeymoon experience and just jumped on the train from St Lazare out to Bayeux. We didn't plan, but had heard from an acquaintance that there is a hotel near the train station that had treated them very well. We were not disappointed. It is literally 50 m from the train station (a very small station -- but nice and being remodeled). It wasn't fancy, but had all that we needed. It offered reasonable rates (~40 Euro/night for room and breakfast) and the people there couldn't have been nicer and more accommodating. We walked into Bayeux and it was charming -- with more shopping, restaurants, historical facts and hotels. We did a tour with the group at the hotel as this was again recommended -- and they were amazing! They spoke fluent English and the tour was in English. The tour of the Normandie coast and the D-Day battlefields was so humbling -- it is hard to put into words. It is a must see when coming to France. The proprietor is Jean Marc and he is charming. Excellent experience! Thank you!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple