“OK for Short Break in Centre of Lille” 3 of 5 stars

Carlton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 rue de Paris, 59026 Lille, France   |
Ranked #41 of 103 Hotels in Lille
London, United Kingdom
“OK for Short Break in Centre of Lille”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed 4 nights in June 2013, very good central location and easy to walk to from Lille International Station.

Hotel is a little tired round the edges but the location more than makes up for that. Seems to cater in mid week for Business conferences.

Hotel room good size, comfortable bed and a few nice antique pieces of furniture.

If you are looking for luxury this is probably not for you but we enjoyed the break and the location is very good to get out and about in Lille.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very good location, good sized clean rooms, very comfortable bed, helpful reception.
There is an amount of traffic noise due to the cobble streets, but if you can get a room overlooking the square the views are great.

Room Tip: There are rooms that have great views over the square. They are more expensive but for me worth the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

In the heart of the restaurant quarter - who needs a hotel restaurant. The best fish restaurant for many miles around only a short walk away. Breakfast at Pauls just across the road. Very convenient for theatre and opera. 15 minutes walk from Eurostar - taxis are available.
The double glazing cuts out street sound and the air conditioning is first class. Bed linen and towels are changed daily. Room good size, décor first class and public areas well maintained.
Staff friendly and helpful. English TV programmes available!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I arrived at the Carlton Hotel in Lille around 9pm after a fairly easy journey from St Pancras, London to Lille. The station at Lille is not far from the centre of town, but the tourist's view of Lille on exiting the station is not good; there is some awful architecture in the surrounding area, but within five to ten minutes of walking things pick up a little bit. In fact, Lille is a very pleasant place, ideal for a short weekend break.

Not knowing exactly where the rue de Paris was, I asked a taxi driver to take me to the Carlton Hotel, but he said it was only a few minutes' walk away. On foot, I headed further into town and then asked a shop assistant for directions: turn right, then right and it's perpendicular. Fine, I knew what he meant and soon I was faced with that age-old dilemma: do I turn left or right? I opted for the latter and soon saw a sign saying 'hotels' and the name of my hotel underneath.

The lobby was fairly grandiose and the check-in procedure fairly fast and straightforward. I jumped into a small and cramped lift to the third floor and room 309. Everything was very grandiose. There were oil paintings in the dark corridor and the semi-circular nature of the building meant that I had two ways of reaching my destination. Which ever way I turned out of the lift, I would eventually reach my room. So far, so good.

The power in the room was accessed by placing the door card into a slot in the wall and there I was, in my unconventionally shaped room. First, on the left, was a bathroom; second on the left was a small toilet and straight ahead of me was the bedroom, which had a curved wall, and two bowed windows overlooking the centre of Lille.

The grandiose decor was ruined by a Corby trouser press – or, perhaps, the French equivalent (the Corbiere trouser press) – and I later used this to give my trousers a pressing overnight. But right now I needed something to eat. I figured that a hotel of this stature would have a decent hotel restaurant. I was imagining white tablecloths, polished wine glasses and cutlery and glowing candles – but I was directed next door, to a restaurant called Hippopotamus. Who calls a restaurant Hippopotamus? It wasn't part of the hotel, but a chain of mid-spend restaurants, which I was familiar with from my days as a food and drink journalist. The blue neon sign saying Hippopotamas put me off so I went in search of somewhere to else to eat as I soon discovered that there was no hotel restaurant – what a shame (and a bit of a sham too).

The hotel room was fine, the bathroom 'worked' fine the following morning and the hotel breakfast – I had cold meat and a pungent cheese plus fruit juice and tea.

Overall, not bad, but the hotel, in my view, was almost pretending to be something it wasn't and letting itself down with no restaurant. The Carlton name, if you like, is being abused here. A hotel restaurant more in keeping with the brand and the decor would have made things far better.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Location Rallye is fab, right there in the pedestrianised centre. It evennis within walking distance frim the Eurostar station (if you Travel light). Lovely. Street noise is bearable thanks to double-glazing. Do bring earplugs if you like to sleep with open windows.
Actually, do bring earplugs at any rate as noise insullation is non-existent. You will hear pretty much everything from the rooms around yours. Which, quite frankly, is not that nice.
The rooms are clean and comfortable if a bit tired. Staff on reception is there in person if not in spirit.
So, if you get a good deal and want to be centrally located, then the Carlton is just fine. Just don't expect much else.

Room Tip: Take a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Worcester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

This was probably once a very good hotel and it could be again. All it needs is a good refurbishment. A great location right in the centre of Lille. Our room was really quite large and very comfortable. Such a shame everything is so tired.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

My wife and I were offered the night there for our wedding night. To be honest, we are not very demanding and we were tired... so a warm service, a cosy room would have made us the happiest couple... How disappointing!

The hotel is simply old... torn wallpapers in the corridors, broken tiles in the bathroom, furnitures which may look good but are, really, not comfy... not removing the dust in the wooden pannel of the antic elevator doesn't help to make us feel like this place is taken care of.

The service is awful... that was a Saturday... we did not have access to the mini-bar because they didn't have any key left (why do you need a lock in the minibar anyway... it's supposed to be there to be consumed, right?). When asked for the reason.. I was told that (rephrasing:) "[I am] sorry but the English clients leave with all the keys... they are impossible... And there is no shop opened on Saturdays to have more keys done" - How can a 4 stars hotel reject fault on customers?
Since I had to go to the supermarket nearby to buy the refresh drinks we wanted, I selected a satellite channel that displays anglo-saxon programs (my wife not speaking French, she could at least read the subtitles that are available in both language when the original language is in English). Damn! The remote is too basic and can't do nothing but change channels and volume up/down. So I go and ask for a proper one.... which takes ages... but all this (I wish I did invent the following!) "is because of those English who mess up with the TV settings".

Not to mention that they advertized that the "wedding package" (obviously more expensive than a normal night) held a bottle of champagne... which was actually just some lousy sparkling wine...

I tried to enter in contact several times with the General Manager... he NEVER replied me... that shows how much they care about their clients.

I just can't understand how so many British rate this hotel that good!? You have other hotels with the same convenient location.. just walk a bit further or take the metro for 2 stops and get to know another neighbourhood... Lille is so small anyway!

And most of all, if you could speak French and understand how the staff talk about you... I can bet you'd never step foot in there anymore!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Hotel? Share your experiences!