“Very disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #37 of 103 Hotels in Lille
“Very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights for a conference and I am a very good customer of Holiday Inn. I stay away a couple of times a month and I nearly always book a holiday inn as you know what you are getting and they are normally clean and spacious. However, this was by far the worst hotel stay I have ever had. I arrived to a building site...this wouldn't be a problem normally had I been informed this or got a reduced rate. I thought I paid a cheaper advance payment rate but was informed my card was rejected so had to pay more which I think is awful as they could have contacted me and told me it was rejected and I would have rang to make the payment over the phone or used another card.

Thankfully I got one of the rooms that had already been refurbished but all social areas were a complete mess. I got to my room and went for a shower...no hot water. Rang reception who said they will send up and engineer. 45 mins later and numerous phones calls to reception - no hot water and no engineer. Terrible customer service. The building noise was very disruptive.

Having left this awful hotel I realised I cam home without one of my necklaces. I was 99% certain it was not left in the room as I am very careful about checking the room thoroughly before I leave and it was a very chunky necklace that I would have seen if it was left on the side. I rang the hotel as I was certain I hadn't seen it since my room was cleaned the day before I left. They said they would check with the cleaning staff and ring me back. No phone call back.

Maybe this hotel will be ok when it has gone through its refurb but the customer service will not change.

Simply awful

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lille Centre, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Hanamoore,

Thank you for staying with us and for bringing this to our attention. I’m very sorry to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us.

Connie D
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Arcore, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Conveniently situated near a large square from the centre of which extends the ample PEDESTRIAN & SHOPPING AREA that in less than 10 minutes will lead you to the Old City Centre. Secure parking in the basement for €13 (direct access via hotel lift). Metro station in the square. Room rather small but clean. Nonsmoking on request. Satellite TV. Wifi. Tea/coffee making facilities. Bright bathroom. Continental breakfast where curiously the hot drinks machine did not provide coffee and the cappuccino came out as chocolate. Pity. The hotel was in the process of radical renovation in february & cost €129 for a double room & 2 continental breakfasts.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lille Centre, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Ann H,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad to hear you found our location convenient and the rooms clean. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments regarding the coffee making facilities.Please be assured that this will be looked into.

Connie D
Netherlands (Europe)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice hotel that offers all you need for one (or a few) night(s). It is being renovated at the moment, which was announced before booking. But as we stayed on a Saturday night, there was no problem at all. Our standard room was smallish, but then again we did not need more. The room looked nice, the bed was good as was the new bathroom. The parking garage is very convenient, as you can walk to the Town Centre. You reach the shopping streets in a five minute walk, the not-to-be-missed Grand Place in 10 minutes. Breakfast was somewhat simple (no hot items), but good enough with a friendly staff to assist. As the breakfast is included in the price, we had a good stay for a good price. We will return here!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

I just spent 1 night here with my wife and 5 month old. Booked online and asked for a baby cot, the room was ready at 1300 with a cot. Free wifi included. The staff were all v pleasant and helpful. All spoke English. We used the underground car park, v useful (€12 per night). Room was basic and clean. Hotel under refurbishment , apart from 1 lift under wraps we did not notice anything. Lovely and simple breakfast, they happily told us to make sandwiches for lunch. Great location, plenty of restaurants nearby and the center less than 5 min walk.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lille Centre, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear KamMug,

Thank you for your review of your stay at our hotel. We apologize for the inconvenience of one lift at the time of your stay.

We are pleased you did enjoy your stay and our accommodations and staff were commendable. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome.

We appreciate the feedback that we receive as this is crucial for us to improve the products & services that we offer.

Regards,

Brenda J.
Chester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

This hotel received a great deal of critiscism by previous visitors but all in all it was more than adequate. If you have a limited budget then this is the hotel to choose. Although a refurbishment program was in operation it was done without inconveniencing visitors. Our room was a little small but had a good sized bathroom and had television and coffee/tea facilities. Wifi was also available in rooms and the lobby. Breakfast were very good and the staff were helpful and very friendly. Our room was kept spotlessly clean and towels and linen were replaced daily. Not bad for a hotel that has been given such poor reviews.

Room Tip: If you are unhappy with the room you have been allocated then discuss it with the reception staff. T...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear Geoff D,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write to us regarding your stay at our Hotel. We appreciate the time and effort you have taken to inform us of your experience. Guests such as yourself enable us to maintain the high standard of service expected of us.

We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes. Thank you again for your kind words. We hope to have you as a guest in one of our hotels again soon.

Regards,
Brenda J.
eMedia Coordinator
North Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

I booked a Double for 2 nights. First got a Twin, then a room with coiled electrical cables & tubes dangling from the ceiling before being given the Double I had booked, after 3 trips to moan at Reception. Manager told me I would "only get" a double "if it was available"...after which I would get a twin. But the website shows a standard room as having a "Double bed". The hotel was being re-furbished and the staff did not know which rooms were habitable. They sent a staff member to "check out" the third room before giving us the keys. The staff never made eye-contact whilst I was in the hotel, they always looked down as I approached. I came to this hotel with fond memories of previous visits but not now. On the Saturday, the small bar was full of rough local men who had come in to watch the football...there was no room for guests.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
sebastien R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lille Centre, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
Dear Sir,
I have read carefully your comment and I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered. At the time of your booking, no double room was available, and the reception team « pre checked” you in a twin bedded room but they did not check if that matched your wishes while you checked in, and we are very sorry about this.

As you have seen, the hotel and the rooms will soon be fully newly refurbished and we try our best to minimize the impact on our customers, but some of these works cannot be kept as discreet as we would like, as the installation of the air-conditionning in all the rooms that you mention. This step is very crucial for your comfort in the future.

I will be very pleased to welcome you on your next stay in Lille, in a totally renovated hotel.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The hotel is a typical HIE but in this case a little dated so it is a good thing that work has started on a complete refurbishment programme. Work will run from Monday to Friday for the next few months between the hours of 9.00am to 5.00pm.
The hotel is in a central location with a secure car park underground. The main centre of Lille is a 5 minute walk away.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Lille Centre, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Scorpio227,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your review is vital for improving the service and quality we offer to our valued guest. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge or give points for improvement. We hope to get the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future. Thank you once again for your valuable comment, and if you might have any suggestions that will contribute to enhancing your stay, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Krysllin G.
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lille Centre? Share your experiences!