“One of the worst restaurants I've ever been too” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Au Vieux Louis

Au Vieux Louis
45 Rue de Gand, 59000 Lille, France (Vieux Lille 2)
33 3 20 15 89 85
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #265 of 1,036 Restaurants in Lille
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Vieux Lille 2
Santa Monica, California
“One of the worst restaurants I've ever been too”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is easily one of the worst restaurants I've been to.

After about a twenty minute wait, I I ordered Chateaubriand with morel mushroom sauce. I did not order a starter. After about 25 mins, I asked the waitress what the status on my dish was. She said it would be ready soon. After waiting another 15 minutes. I asked where my meal was. The waitress replied that it was taking a while because I had ordered the steak well done. I pointed out that I had ordered the steak very rare. "Oh," she said and soon I was handed a steak that was barely an inch thick - Chataubriand is usually at least three to four inches thick.
It was accompanied by a small container of microwaved morrell mushroom sauce. In a good French restaurant, microwaved sauces are unacceptable. I would note here that I was charged a Chataubriand price for this puny steak.

For dessert, a chocolate tart that had been picked-up at a patisserie earlier in the day - certainly not prepared at the restaurant

When it came time to pay the bill, I gave the waitress my creditcard. U.S. credit cards to not have a chip in them. This has never been a problem at countless restaurants throughout Europe. The owner or manager had a fit because I didn't have enough cash to cover the meal. Ultimately, I had to give him the 20 Euros that I had and we took my credit card to another restaurant to pay the balance for my meal.

The credit card incident was minor but any restaurant who can't produce the food that's on their menu and takes cheap short cuts is completely unacceptable.

In hindsight I wish that I had walked out before the steak came. I'd have gone to Comptoir 44 (across the street) where I'd had a wonderful meal the night before.

Avoid this restaurant like the plague.

• Visited April 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Good place to eat, nice atmosphere, good french menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

We were with a group of 8 so we were glad to find a spot at this restaurand located at the Rue de Grand. What a nice street on itself in Lille (lots of restaurants, bars and wine bars!!)
Menu card look pleasing and we all had a 3 course meal. Staff friendly and helpfull.
I had for starters the Foie gras de canard fait maison which was just excellent!
Me and a friend then went for a big chunck of meat with the "Côte de boeuf"
I ended with a really delicious "Moelleux au chocolat noir fait maison, crème anglaise".
The red wine they served us was also good. (and since i almost drink only white wine it was a pleasent surprise for me!)
An other suprise was the total cost for the 8 of us....(positive wise!) I didn't expect it to be that cheap!

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“Ok - but could do better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

This restaurant had a nice ambience and lots of outdoor seating, but I'd have to say that the food is a bit average for the price you pay. Perfectly adequate though and we had a nice evening here.

Visited August 2011
UK
“Excellent Restaurant with a ruqstic feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

My partner and I visited Lille over the weekend for a quick little weekend away. Le vieux Louis was recommended to us by the reception staff at our hotel. As others have stated the restaurant is located on the Rue De Gand - this is the main street for restaurants in Lille. Definitley worth a visit in itself due to the quality of wine bars and restaurants there.

We are both native English speakers with a little French. After listening to me stumble through two or three lines of French our very helpful waiter (Jean-Paul I think!) spoke to us in English. He guided us through our courses and recommended the wine to accompany.

Food was great with more of a "rustic" feel. I was excpecting maybe some fine dining but it feels more genuine that that. I loved the foie gras and both of us thought the duck for our main was great. Again as per others if you want something done that is rare in the UK ask for it medium in French.

We totally indulged ourselves and had starters, main courses, desserts and coffees. Each course was extremely generous, with the main being a battle to get through.

Price wise our meal came to £100 which considering we had had botlle of wine and another half bottle plus armagnac we both felt to be perfectly reasonable.

If you want to taste good "real" French food then check it out - definitely very enjoyable!!

• Visited August 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Rustington, Sussex
“A restaurant specilaising in duck that doesn't know how to cook it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

We tried this restaurant when we were unable to get into the Estaminet t'Rijsel one evening. The menu looked appealing, although, on our excursions up and down the street, we were worried why Au Vieux Louis seemed to fill-up so slowly in comparison with the other restaurants in Rue de Gand - it's not usually a good sign. The interior is pleasant enough and the staff seemed friendly when we made our booking. My partner (who is a chef and so knows how to cook the restaurant's speciality duck dishes) fancied some confit duck and this place had several appetising dishes on the menu. They only had one beer available (very unusual in Lille), but we enjoyed some draft Leffe nonetheless.
The dishes arrived. The confit duck was terrible - it was tough (it should be melt-in-the-mouth) and the skin was slimy and inedible (it should be crispy and delicious). I had asked for my duck breast 'medium' (usually having it rare in the UK, but knowing that, in France, you ask for 'medium' if you expect UK-style 'rare' duck and steak). Sadly, the duck was so raw that the the fat under the skin hadn't even been burned off, so it was a thoroughly unpleasant eating experience. The accompanying potatoes were very oily. Usually a veteran complainer when there is cause to do so, I was put-off doing so by the staff's lack of English and my very rusty French. In retrospect, I should have rejected both dishes immediately. Our bread to accompany the meal was delivered just as we had finished our meals, so I sent it back straight away as having been 'trop tard' (too late). Neither the waiter nor anyone else asked us if our meal was OK (so, no pride in their food, apparently) and we paid and left (no service, no tip!).
A truly awful place that I would urge people to avoid, especially as there are plenty of decent eating places nearby in the same street. Now we know why it was the last place in Rue de Gand to get customers!

• Visited June 2011