“do u like sea food'” 5 of 5 stars
Review of L'Ecume des Mers

L'Ecume des Mers
10 Rue de Pas, 59000 Lille, France (Lille Centre 12)
+33 3 20 54 95 40
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #307 of 1,013 Restaurants in Lille
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Lille Centre 12
Description: L’Ecume des Mers in Lille lies near the Grand’ Place, just ten minutes’ walk from both train stations – and it’s open every single day of the year, even in August, so you are always assured of a warm welcome and fantastic seafood. L’Ecume des Mers (it means ‘sea foam’) is the younger sister of longtime favourite l’Huitriere. The smart marine bleu and white front leads into an elegant mezzanined dining space in cool shades of blues, greys and creams with soaring ceiling and tables arranged around a central bar. The menu, under the care of chef Christian Leroy, depends on the catch of the day, but usually includes oysters, fruits de mers and all manner of wild fish (only salmon is farmed) in dishes like skate in black butter. There are land-based dishes, too, and ten menus available for larger parties. Groups have the benefit of the upstairs Petit Salon seating up to 12, the Library seating up to 60, or the main dining room seating up to 100. A covered terrace comes into its own in the warm months. The intelligent wine list features a wine of the month available by the glass, pichet or bottle.
“do u like sea food'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

if you love sea food, there is one thing you have to go.... just go!!!!
they don't speak english (only some of them..) but who cares?? just give a look at the around tables...as say...the same as that one!!
very good the wine list..
not cheap, but really worth it!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“good food, service was a touch slow, but could be down to language...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

This is France, and they speak French here! If you can't speak French, I think the only have one member of staff who can speak English fluently. So you are not going to get the same level of service as somebody who can speak french!

We arrived about 9.30pm on a Friday night. The place was suggested by the taxi driver, and to be frank, we were not disappointed.

They had to russel up the english speaking waiter, who was working p the other end of the restaurant! He was very pleasant, and helpful.

The menu of the day is in French, and then there is a separate English to French translation, we thought it as fun trying to figure it out.

I would have liked to have had drinks sooner, like while we were choosing, I think this is the only downside to the whole experience. so big deal.

We had starters, mains and dessrts, with 4 beers, and it came to just over 100 euro, so 120 with tip.

Food was very good. Both had the prawn croquettes to start, and then monkfish and turbot for main. The desserts are excellent, her indoors had creme brûlée, and claimed it as the best she'd ever had. I had the dessert du jour, which was a rasperry, white chocolate mousse, with praline. My arteries are still hardening.

Really enjoyed it. I would probably not return, simply because there are so many other choices, but it was good food.

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent meal and reasonably priced”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Excellent food, service and atmosphere. Well worth a visit!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“The most horrible service I have ever experienced...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

It might be a seafood restaurnat so you would expect a fish smell, but when we walked into the restaurant I could not breath because of the strong smell. Then they could not find the reservation, but they gave us a table immediately.
Since I cannot speak French at all, I asked for the English menu. It took them about 30 minutes to bring it to me. We placed our order after 30 minutes but it took them an extra 20 minutes to bring the water and the bread. We had to ask for water and bread quite a few times and then we complained. They brought the starter, then the main, but in the meantime we would struggle to find a waiter since they were understaffed. We had ordered a green salad with our mains but it never arrived. Again we were trying to find a waiter, but no luck. Then a senior staff member happened to pass by and we told him that we were not brought our salad and instead of apologising he kept on saying that since my partner got his green beans, the waiter assumed that we did not order the green salad as well. He rushed to the kitchen, brought the green salad but it was quite late as we had almost finished our food. He was then being very difficult as we did not require it any more. Then I decided to have a cake. It took them about 25 minutes to bring it. Then we asked for the bill. We had to wait 30 minutes until we were able to pay. We spent so many hours in there and we just wanted to leave, so waiting half an hour for the bill was not very nice. Then the senior staff member took us to the cloakroom to give us our coats. Next to the cloakroom (and opposite the toilets) was a table with all the dirty plates with the leftovers from the customers. It was disgusting and not very hygienic. When my partner complained again about the awful service, the senior member was challenging him by saying that he did not believe him that it took them 50 minutes to bring the water and bread at our table. Awful service, not at all apologetic but I have to admit that the food was devine. One of the best meals I had in Lille, but the whole experinece was marred by the horrible service. I would not recommend the restaurant even if the food is excellent.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London, United Kingdom
“death by (bad) service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

It all started when they could not find our reservation. We had to wait 20 min to give our order. This was followed by 45 min till we got the water and wine we ordered. By the time the food arrived, we had lost the will to live, let alone to eat. We complained about the delay and things seemed to improve a bit after that. They were woefully understaffed, with one poor man running around to serve the whole first floor (about 10 tables) and with the occasional cameo from some others - but really occasional. The food was good but not of the anticipated standard. One of my oysters was bad (but they did not charge me for it). My chunk of tuna was appetising but overdone (I had asked for blue) and the green beans more on the side of khaki. We had to wait for about 30' to find anyone to ask for the bill. We noticed several other tables getting up and paying en route to the exit - surely not the kind of restaurant one would be expected to do this. When we finally complained once again to what seemed a more senior member of the staff, we were dealt with with comments of the kind "it could not have been 45'" and "I myself came to your table three times". Yes, after our waving and smiling and tearing our hair in order to be noticed. We felt special...

• Visited February 2012