“Fabulous evening” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Cave au Cassoulet

La Cave au Cassoulet
54 r Peyrolieres, 31000 Toulouse Toulouse, France (Jacobins)
05 61 13 60 30
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jacobins
“Fabulous evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband wanted to try cassoulet and so we tried la cave au cassoulet. It was amazing. The staff were so helpful and gave us suggestions when we were not sure. The food was excellent. We would recommend this to anybody

• Visited April 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Not bad, despite the waiter's attitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

When you try to expose foreigners to the local cuisine, you should expect some form of understanding towards your audience. As we were told it was a really good address for a cassoulet, we came out with a generally positive experience.

The only thing you will have to deal with is the pigeon English of the waiter and his arrogance towards the ordering or selection.
The food was really, really! well served. As in, you can't move out of the table afterwards. The food was slightly too salty to my like, but no one else noticed from our table. The foie gras was divine and the confit definitely worth a second serving. We went for the whole 9 nine yards and ordered tasty desserts and the 40 years old armagnac for a digestive.
If it wasn't for the condescending attitude of the waiter, we would have spent a perfect evening.
But i guess it is like that in touristy places, touristy restaurant where you get tired of serving to nagging Anglos!
I will come back, but with a moustache next time.
Oui, oui!

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Nancy, France
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The "menu" Cassoulet was very good, 20€ for 3 courses. Starter of salad ,toasts & delicious foie gras, followed by an extremely good cassoulet ( the best I have tasted) and then a poire belle hélène (one of the nicest I have ever had). All in a typical wine cellar and with very efficient and friendly service.

I definitely recommend this restaurant and would go again without hesitation. What a shame I live so far away!!!

• Visited March 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fabulous, friendly service & great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I'm surprised that this restaurant is balancing out as above average. It was a great all around experience.

We arrived early, unsure of the opening time--the gentleman made reservations for us so we wandered across the street to enjoy a glass of wine at a cozy little bar.

When we returned to La Cave, we had a table for two near the kitchen. I thought--well, that's what we get for last minute reservations. What a great place to sit! I got to watch the ballet the kitchen staff (3 men) performed to flawless design the meals on the plates and deliver them with ease. If I ever owned a restaurant, this is how I'd want my kitchen to run.

My husband had the cassoulet and said it was as well-done as he'd been told. I had salmon with the most perfectly prepared vegetables. The picture conveys as much as my words could for this dish.

This restaurant is downstairs, so is not handicap accessible. It really does feel cave-like, however it was cozy and comfortable and the decibel level not loud as you might expect in such a setting.

The other major thing of note was that in this packed restaurant there were only two men serving the diners. It was an amazing thing to watch them expertly and with grace make every person feel special.

Don't miss it--but remember to call ahead!

• Visited February 2013
Fishers, Indiana
“Good but I've had better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

In southern France, the competition is stiff for the best cassoulet. This restaurant has done well, but still ranks behind another in Castelnaudry. The preparation was good, especially the duck, and the beans were also good but nothing spectacular. Service was very good. The foie gras starter was one of the best I've had, the armagnac tarte not so much. Great value. Might try it again.

• Visited February 2013