“Great Hotel, location, and excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel de France
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5 rue d'Austerlitz, 31000 Toulouse, France (Wilson)   |
Ranked #70 of 135 hotels in Toulouse
Monterey Park, California, United States
“Great Hotel, location, and excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I were spending the recent holidays in Toulousse, France, and had a wonderful experience in staying at the Hotel de France. We found the staff very friendly, great service, and we loved the location where we could walk to restaurants, plazas, and its also close to the airport. We were so pleased to see the beautiful rows of draped Christmas lights all around the plaza, and many white market stands to do shopping. The Hotel is very quaint, super clean, with a real comfortable bed, artistic decor, and for us it was a perfect romantic getaway. We highly recommend this Hotel when in Toulousse!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

83 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is in a very good location but we I still felt disappointed and that it was not good value. I booked a double room with a bath in advance as I knew I would be tired and wanted to relax in the tub before exploring the city. The room we were given was overlooking a stairwell and clean but dingy. The bathroom was very plain and the bath was only half size and not big enough to lie in. We complained and were told all the double room had small baths but were offered another bigger room. Much better, nice decor, big windows overlooking the street and a full sized bath - however we had to pay more for the room because it had a third bed in it which we did not need. Later I realised Wifi did not work in the room. Reception was helpful but couldn't fix the problem so I had to sit in reception to use my computer and we were not offered any recompense for this.
We had parked in the carpark associated with the Hotel but on checking out we were told there was no reduction in price on the parking because we had parked there for longer then just evening to morning. (We had parked in the afternoon to the following late morning). So we had to pay the carparks full fee. Nobody had mentioned this on checking in.
After my stay I wrote to the manager expressing my disappointment with the above but as yet have received no reply.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the front overlooking the street to avoid the stairwell room. Ask for a full size...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The building itself quite old, and inside as well, but with renovation. When choosing a hotel I wanted something like this one: french style and a little old fashioned, with interesting wood furniture, cozy and in a good location, so I can walk to the center easily. I had it all and was nice surprised with the Hotel de France. They have elevator, really old one, but safe, they have stairs, so you can walk if you live on the second floor. You can have breakfast for the additional price. I can highly recommend this Hotel if you travel by your own or with someone. It has this elegant spirit of France and sharm. I definitely liked it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We stayed four nights in a hotel with certain surprises: a very small room which was not very practical: the air condition was switched off in the whole hotel (reason: low temperature outside!),
no fridge, only one peg (in the bathroom), no safe. To bulbs had to be changed. Very bad quality of the only English-speaking channel (CNN - totally destroyed by commercial and self-promoting advertisments). Add a very simple, unhealthy breakfast and a lot of noise from the streets during night. But - as a positive remark: eco-friendly lights (photo-cells) in the corridors. The service and politeness from the reception staff varied.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Toulouse hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel was easy to find from the bus stop where the airport bus dropped us off. All the reception staff spoke good English and was incredibly helpful. The rooms equipt with basic stuff but they are all new and in good condition. One downside of the room was that there was no safe.
The hotel is ideally located in the city, within short walking distance to most tourist points of interest. The best thing about the location was the large market that is situated right behind the hotel (go out of the rear entrance of the hotel). The market has an amazing selection of fresh delicious food, anything from sea food to meats to breads to tiny pizzas that they warm up for you right there and then. Every stall owner we spoke to were so friendly and helpful.
Toulouse was an lovely city to visit and Hotel de France was a wonderful icing on the cake.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor rooms (we stayed on the 4th floor) as there are cafes close to the hotel. 4th f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hailsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I am just back from my first city break trip to Toulouse and whilst there I stayed at this very charming old hotel located steps away from Place de President Thomas Wilson and just a short walk from Place du Capitole. My flight landed in Toulouse at 9:30am and the 20 minute taxi ride from the airport cost 27 Euros. The front desk staff were very polite and very friendly and I was allocated room 207, a small but comfortable room on the second floor overlooking the street. The room came with a double bed, flat screen TV (all French channes except for CNN Sport), air conditioning, black out curtains, desk and chair, ensuite shower/toilet. The bed was comfortable and I did not experience any noise from the street below - but I did have my window closed due to the intense heat outside (thank goodness for A/C). The only bit of criticism I can think of is that the bathroom was poorly lit. To sum it up, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Hotel de France and would not hesitate in recommending the hotel to my friends and family.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Stayed two nights in this hotel as part of a group travelling for work. It's well located, clean, and the staff are very helpful; the wifi worked well for me. What's not to like, then? Firstly, the wooden flooring throughout; it might look nice, but if your room is anywhere near a staircase, expect constant footstep noise - I was woken several times. And secondly, the lack of hot water in the shower when a group of twelve gets up at the same time to have breakfast and leave - mine was tepid at best, and several of my colleagues' showers ran cold.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
HdeFrance, Manager at Hotel de France, responded to this review, January 25, 2012
We were disappointed to find out through TripAdvisor that you had an issue with water temperature, yet nobody at the hotel was told about such issue. We have housekeeping personnel on all floors during the day and front desk managers present day and night 24/7 who are there to assist you and can quickly adjust the water temperature, if needed.

We hope to have the pleasure of a future visit, and that you will not hesitate to ask for assistance to make your stay most pleasant.

Kind regards,

Cecile Abel
Hotel de France

Been to Hotel de France? Share your experiences!