“Pleasant enough staff helpful” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: French
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Wales
“Pleasant enough staff helpful”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

It was fine, a little pricy for area, but generally good food. Very impressed with the tapas fish plate.

Visited October 2012

Bridport, United Kingdom
“poor service poor delivery”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I am always surprised when I eat in a establishment that has everything going for it and it ends up in a tragic farce. This place has such potential , beautiful city lovely setting really nice hotel and a Michelin stared restaurant next door. If Chef Harve Daumy is in charge of this bistro and has overall control then he has fallen well short of basic expectations.This Bistro was sold to us by the receptionist as a traditional Bistro in the traditional french style. Simple things make an experience exceptional,good or bad. One of these can be having enough staff to sell the food to the customers. This place needs at least two good waiters and a drinks waiter. Saturday night one waiter and a barman is not enough with a full Restaurant. To sell steak at 55 Euros the waiter should be good enough to offer options.Our drinks did arrive after the waiter made us feel that we were holding him up, no sales technique. My starter of Foie Gras was basic, amateur even, Two thin slices of foie gras some drips of what I don't know and salt and paprika three slices of toasted baguette. My partner had a dish called tapas de terre. (She expected small tasty prepared nibbles) The plate arrived, they had opened a packet of dried and smoked meat placed it on a wood board and served with bread.It was an enormous amount for a starter. Ahh I forgot the garnish a small bowl with 6 cornichons COOL!! So 2 starters that a Kitchen Porter could put together using a picture card. No skill or finesse needed here...a bad start. The Mains arrived My steak was cooked as I like Rare but was tough and grissoly no jus or sauce. It was served with a tossed green salad and small potatoes deep fried (why not sauteed?). OK.. My partner had Duck Breast ordered medium (it was Rare) and green beans. Both dishes served on cold plates. The duck had not been seasoned and was cold. When we managed to get the Waiters attention and after a little discussion he took the plate away to sort it out.We explained that the food was pretty tasteless with no jus or sauce, the waiter then said why did you not ask for sauce or mustard , BECAUSE the waiter did not offer it or suggest it in the first place and we assumed that at the price would be presented at least with its own juices in the classical tradition.Wrong.. I was left with my food waiting for my partners to be returned.When it was it still had not been seasoned at this point the waiter made a point of putting the cruet set on our table. We both by this time had had enough,we called the waiter over and tried to explain our concerns and that simply reheating the food without dealing with the seasoning was just not good enough. Our appetite and patience being so tested we decided to leave the food and depart.
What really makes me angry (anger is born of disapointment) is that the ingredients used were of a good quality and through amateurish lack of skill and care this food has been wasted.
A few days before going to Montauban we had gone to a place called Lagrasse. We sat at a little kiosk and had frites and a bagette of goats cheese and rocklet salad. The lady who prepared our food showed more skill and attention to detail and at least cared about what she was serving us.
On paying our bill we told the receptionist of our experience and we said we were not happy paying for the meal. He accepted this without argument and we did not pay. He explained that he had recommended the Michelin Restaurant. This place needs to get its act together and bring up the quality of its cooking, service and attitude.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

This is the alternative restaurant to the Michelin starred offering (La Table des Capucins) in the same hotel. As we visited on a Sunday evening the one Michelin starred (2011 &2012) restaurant (Chef Herve Daumy) was closed so we had no choice but to settle for the Bistro. The Bistro serves “bistronomic cuisine”! Nevertheless we had a brilliant meal obviously prepared by many of the same chefs and it showed. The Bistro itself is quite compact and whilst obviously recently refurbished felt a bit like a wine bar and rather closed in on a hot summers evening, however it does have its own open air courtyard in the centre of the hotel building which was originally a Seminary dating back to the 17th century so chose to sit there.
Much enjoyed a glass of the local white as an aperitif (Bistro wine list was also excellent). They also had a range of Champagnes by the glass (120ml) starting at a very acceptable 7 Euros (Besserat de Bellefon). For food I had the Foie Gras Pate with Armagnac which was sensational. An accompanying glass of local Moeullieux was a great pairing. My wife had a Smoked Salmon salad with grapefruit, fennel and lettuce which was a huge portion despite being a ½ starter size and it was also excellent and went well with the local white wine. For mains I had the Steak Tartare which was made with delicious diced fillet rather than minced steak. This was served with sautéed potatoes rather than the ubiquitous French Fries and an excellent salad and I had a glass of local red which was also excellent. My wife had Gambas and linguine which she also greatly enjoyed (another massive portion). For dessert my wife passed but I tried the 12 Euro Champagne extravaganza of 4 mini desserts plus a cup of espresso and a large glass of Champagne which was a great deal and a splendid end to a splendid meal and all for just 98 Euros – an absolute bargain for the stunning food and great wines

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Siargao Island, Philippines
“Great wines and even better food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Love their food and great service. Good beer on tap and very nice and clean surroundings. You will find some delicious local wines here on the menu.

Visited August 2012
l_daures, Directeur général at Le Bistro des Capucins, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comment, we hope to see you soon at the Bistro des Capucins.
Best regards,