“Excellent value and quality” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #148 of 179 Restaurants in Albi
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Antibes, France
“Excellent value and quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

On a day trip to Albi we stumbled upon this restaurant for lunch. It was a stroke of luck as we took our time to enjoy the 3 course ' formula' for approximately 18 euros. There was a variety of choices and each course was a generous size, the food was freshly prepared and very, very good. The restaurant quickly filled up with a lot of locals and the owner mingled among the tables having a chat. A very pleasant meal.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh
“Generally poor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We chose this restaurant as it was recommended in the Rough Guide and was in a nice setting just off the centre. We were eating with 2 young children and they had a children's menu.

The food was fine, we ate from the 'menu du jour' asking politely ( in French) to keep the pace of the meal speedy for the sake of the children. The waiters then proceeded to serve 7 tables with menus and drinks ahead of us. After 2 hours we managed to get our bill, which over charged us. We sent the bill back another two times before they got it right.

Overall a pretty stressful and unfulfilling experience. Save yourself the bother and eat elsewhere.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sussex, UK
“Surprised at the negative reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We had lunch here during a day trip to Albi. Our main reason for doing so was the review in our Rough Guide but we may not have done so had we seen the Tripadvisor reviews. It just shows that reviews aren't always accurate as we had a great lunch. Maybe it was because it was a quiet mid week lunch but we found the staff charming and eager to chat. The food was exceptionally good and one of the better meals we had whilst in the area. One of us went for traditional escargots followed by fish. The other for turkey gizzards and lamb sweetbreads. The latter was a mistake when I mis-translated the menu but I was very surprised to find the sweetbreads delicious. We really can't fault the food as it was excellent. A good wine was enjoyed at the suggestion of the waiter. Nice location with terrace in a quiet side street. Prices were very reasonable for the quality of food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent cassoulet - charming setting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have been in search of a cassoulet in the Gaillac/Albi region that can compare to Castlenaudary for many years now (the reputed home of the cassoulet and the first I ever tasted!). Finally we found it! It came piping hot with a bubbling dish of creamy white haricot beans, crispy-topped smoked pork rind, Toulouse sausage and confit de canard (preserved duck leg). The broth was delicate and full of flavour - I'm sure this cassoulet was cooked for hours and hours as it should be to get that great taste! The only thing it was missing (for me) was the crispy breadcrumb topping they serve in Castlenaudary but that didn't stop this dish from being the best I've tasted in years! Well done to the chef!

My husband went with a great value lunch menu €22 which included foie gras to start, a steak main course and a warm chocolate sponge dessert - excellent quality! Unfortunately the cassoulet @ €16 was not available as part of a set lunch menu so my meal cost as much as a normal dinner menu - €10 for a delicious warm goat's cheese & honey salad and €6 for a pear and chocolate sauce dessert. The dessert was a disappointment for me as I expected a poached pear with a drizzle of chocolate sauce but instead got a bowl of chocolate sauce which included small bits of chopped pear - great for chocoholics so my husband finished this! The Gaillac half-bottle of red wine was very good and the service was friendly and efficient. The setting itself is cosy and warm under a beautiful old pink-brick cellar archway (same bricks as stunning Albi Cathedral). We will absolutely return to this little gem of a restaurant and I will order the cassoulet again but next time we have lunch there, I'll keep the price down by just sticking with the cassoulet and tasting a bit of my husband's starter and dessert. The total bill came to €74 to include wine and an aperitif (for me). This was on the high side for lunch but all our own doing - we'll plan it better next time!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
USA
“Not like the majority of reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

Our experience at Sunday midday was much better than most of the other reviews. We chose this restaurant because of the variety of choices on a quite reasonable menu (16€). The reception was welcoming and the terrace was full with many also inside. The service was prompt and the food acceptably good. Could we dine better in Albi? Sure, but this is good value @ less than one-half of le Lautrec (for example.)

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere